Author Topic: Long lake ice thickness  (Read 2800 times)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Long lake ice thickness
« on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:32 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone made it to long lake this weekend.  If so how was the ice thickness and were the char biting well? I want to take my boys out there for their first trip of the year if it's not too windy.  I'd like to drive but don't plan to unless there is a foot of ice on the main lake. If there isn't any snow cover it should be pretty close.

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Long lake ice thickness
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Very little snow on the lake. I didn't like the looks of it. Lots of weird leads on it. I didn't drill it. Just my observation while driving by.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Well there is 10 inches at the landing, but it's not plowed.  Didn't check the main lake since i wasn't going to drive on less than a foot with the kids in the car.  Went to wiener lake instead and got a couple of small rainbows and my wife caught a 12" grayling.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:13 PM »
by the way, we got checked to and the officer was pretty gruff.  We both had licences and i made him wait for mine untill i was done drilling.  I guess i should expect to get check on a lake you can see from the highway.  Plus the wind was blowing about 20 and the temp was about 0, all things considering my 3 kids did pretty good... the oldest is 3.  My 2 year old caught his first fish too.  I'm glad we had a quickfish and a heater otherwise they wouldn't have lasted more than 5 minutes.  heres a few pictures of the grayling.

Offline Great White Char Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm all jacked up on mountain dew chip!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:31 PM »
im planning on trying long lake this friday. are the burbot still active in that lake? nice grayling!

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Just try after 4pm...never caught any really big ones there but usually catch 1 or 2 on most nights

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:32 PM »
im planning on trying long lake this friday. are the burbot still active in that lake? nice grayling!
Unfortunately everybody and their brother likes to keep every single burbot they catch out of there.  Their numbers have been severely depleted.  If you want to catch and keep burbot I would suggest a system that can handle the removal of several fish. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:37 PM »
Unfortunately everybody and their brother likes to keep every single burbot they catch out of there.  Their numbers have been severely depleted.  If you want to catch and keep burbot I would suggest a system that can handle the removal of several fish.
Like? Dont you say it....

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Big Lake or the Big Su.  Why what were you thinking about ;D

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Big lake or Big su...Thats what I was thinking too...........

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:57 AM »
by the way, we got checked to and the officer was pretty gruff.  We both had licences and i made him wait for mine untill i was done drilling.  I guess i should expect to get check on a lake you can see from the highway.  Plus the wind was blowing about 20 and the temp was about 0, all things considering my 3 kids did pretty good... the oldest is 3.  My 2 year old caught his first fish too.  I'm glad we had a quickfish and a heater otherwise they wouldn't have lasted more than 5 minutes.  heres a few pictures of the grayling.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
Nice to see little ones out on the ice, He looks so happy. :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:20 PM »
"Just try after 4pm...never caught any really big ones there but usually catch 1 or 2 on most nights"

thanks for the info. not keeping anything this year, got plenty of salmon in the freezer. are the lakers still there? i heard the last time they stocked them there was 1992?

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:34 PM »
"Just try after 4pm...never caught any really big ones there but usually catch 1 or 2 on most nights"

thanks for the info. not keeping anything this year, got plenty of salmon in the freezer. are the lakers still there? i heard the last time they stocked them there was 1992?
Few and far between, if you do catch one handle it very carefully so you can release it unharmed.  I don't like to use treble hooks if I can help it. 

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2011, 12:07 AM »
Few and far between, if you do catch one handle it very carefully so you can release it unharmed.  I don't like to use treble hooks if I can help it. 
. I don't use trebles anyways. Just a single hook on a red prism Kroc. My buddy and I will be out there in a fat fish shelter feel free to stop by and say hi.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.