The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Mirror Carp  (Read 6495 times)

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
Mirror Carp
« on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:38 AM »
I did a lot of carp fishing last spring/summer and caught a few really nice carp. One of which  was a 35" Mirror Carp, it was the first one that I've ever seen. I was just wondering if anyone else has caught one and how common or uncommon they are in Michingan. I know this isn't really ice fishing detailed, but we don't have any good ice around here and I still want to talk fishing.

RWR
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mirror Carp
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:34 AM »
 Why not, can't ice fish anyway for abit. Back in the day, when I used to carp shoot with bow/arrow, we'd get one once in awhile. Pretty rare, though. Shot one, one time, that had one of those clip type stringers in it's mouth. Evidently somebody strung it up & it broke off.  :D
Ron

Offline pike hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:36 AM »
what's up with the u of Miami helmet ??? A 'Canes fan in Michigan now that's uncommon. Especially after that LSU thrashing! :P Just picking, the way Michigan's football team played this year I'm thankful for Michigan State  and U of M basketball!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:57 AM »
Here in NYS, they are fairly common.  The funny thing is that it seems there are only a few different places that have them.  On one small pond filled with tiny carp that I fish 50% are mirror carp.

If you were wondering about big carp, I still think the biggest are commons, at least around here

here's a 50lb+ NYS record carp that my buddy and I unwittingly let go

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2006, 01:54 PM »
PikeHound,
Hey as big a Michigan fan as anybody else in this state, minus those who like that farm school and the other group who love Rudy. I don't even like to say those teams name. But I am just a big Cane fan as you'll find. I was a fan when I was 6, way back when jimmy johnson coached the team. I just kinda grew up with them, half the fam is from FLA, so its not that crazy ya know.

Bigredonice,
Man those things are ugly. nice pics though. If my freakin' scanner worked I'd post some d*mn pics of the fish I'm catching, but. I'm not a huge carp guy, but I have one of the best carp fisheries right down the road, so I figured I'd take advantage. One evening my cousin and I caught close to 30 fish in less than 2 hours. ON 6lb, with ultralight rods it was more work than fun. Needless to say, we quit fishing early that day. Catch a lot of 5-6lbs, a few in the 15-20lb range. I've never landed one bigger than that, though I've had a few on outta my home lake that I'm sure were 40+. I've seen carp in that lake better than 4' long, and thats no joke. I'm sure I'm going to fish them again this summer, so I'll ask ya; What is your favorite bait? I used powerbait carp nuggets, corn, dough balls, but whole nightcrawlers hooked once through the head outcaught the other stuff 10-1. Of course, there isn't much in this river other than carp, so gills' and bass weren't a real problem.
Thanks for the input.

RWR

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 03:38 PM »
the cheapest canned sweet corn you can find, the cheaper the better

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2006, 10:11 AM »
I've tried that on my home lake and it worked great for about a week, but it turns out that painted turtles have a real taste for sweet corn. DO you ever run into this problem? I don't know why I didn't try it in the river, seems like a .39 cent can of corn is more cost effective than a 3.00 a dozen pack of crawlers.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Pretty much. I would take 3 or 4 kernals and thread them on, leaving the point exposed. Carp are inhale feeders. They suck it in, spit it out, suck it in, spit it out. Some guys use bolt rigs, but I rig my carp rig with a slip sinker and the smallest spit shot I can find. I keep the hook on a 15 - 20" lead. I also use small trout hooks to reduce the weight of my presentation. But I always use a stiff shanked hook, it just makes it so much easier to take to hook out of ol' rubber lips.
RWR

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:29 PM »
I use #6 eagle claw 80's....4 kernals on the shank of the hook.  I use one small split shot about 6 inches above the hook, just enough weight to cast.  The turtles haven't been a problem as long as I don't use bread..turtles love bread.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2006, 02:12 PM »
What's up w/ those fish missing so many scales?  Are they always like that?

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 02:27 PM »
What's up w/ those fish missing so many scales?  Are they always like that?

its a natural variation, like 'black' squirrels and piebald deer.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2006, 02:48 PM »
its a natural variation, like 'black' squirrels and piebald deer.
piebald deer?  I've heard of black squirrels and whatnot, but what the heck is that?

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2006, 03:04 PM »
piebald deer?  I've heard of black squirrels and whatnot, but what the heck is that?

deer that are brown with white patches, instead of being all brown.

Also, on carp, besides mirror carp, there is also 'leather' carp, which have no scales at all :o

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Ah, gotcha.

Offline biggvinn2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish or go home
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2006, 05:34 PM »
I HAVE CAUGHT A FEW MIRROR CARP THROUGH THE ICE LAST WINTER, BUT NOTHING OVER 10 INCHES.
GOT THEM OUT OF A MARINA, IN ABOUT 5 FOOT OF WATER.
Women love me , fish fear me!!!!!!

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2006, 02:36 PM »
here's the ugly beast.

Offline Big_Carphuna

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2006, 05:52 PM »
  Why is it holding a beautiful carp?? LOL
  Hey guys, new to the board. This thread is very interesting indeed, as you can tell by my name, I carp fish a lot.
  Bigred, did you guys weigh the big carp? This one is "only 41+lbs", and it came from NY (Tomhannock). I am a 260lb guy..;)
  Do you mind sharing the water that he landed the beast? Nice fish!

Thank you..
Carp...gotta love 'em!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:57 PM »
OK This might sound stupid but...you dont eat those do you???....or you just catch them for the fight...?

flockshot

« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:05 AM »
we actually catch alot of mirror carp on east traverse bay with our fly rods..nothing huge  though ..i know they get to a good size ..but any of the pigs we catch are usually common or goldens...

and tommy...i dont know about those guys..but i dont keep any that i catch..and the ones i shot...well i hate saying it but they make great garden fertilizer

walleyechaser

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:14 AM »
Carp are tasty  Fry em up!!!!!!!!!  so are dogfish and sheephead.

ha

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2006, 10:30 AM »
EAT CARP???? uh...no. Some people might, but I don't think I'd be able to keep it down. For me, they're just a way to hear a drag scream and land a big fish on light line.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:13 PM »
I really thought the shaved head, beer gut, shades on top of gord look was in....I'll have to update my summer wardrobe! LOL

Offline Lobo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hang in There !
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2006, 04:33 PM »
I am not sure I know how to tell Mirror Carp from any other type of carp. I am not a carp fisherman but have caught some nice sized ones and really enjoyed that. Can someone explain how to identify the deferent kinds of carp ??  ??? ???
Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2006, 04:50 PM »
The easiest way is to look at Bigredonice's pics. The top pics of the smaller fish are all of MIRROR CARP. Notice the large scale pattern and areas of no scales at all. The bottom pic of the real big fish is a COMMON CARP. Smaller scales and fully covered in scales.  On the mirror carp, the area missing scales is almost like leather. There is also a leather carp, which has no scales at all. I haven't done enough research to be able to tell you if they are an actual different species or just a gentic quirk. But I do know that the carp list goes on forever....grass carp, silver carp, common carp, golden carp....ect, ect.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Rather eat a poopsicle or s*#t sandwich lol. :'( ??? >:(
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

walleyechaser

« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:09 AM »
THats not either of the invasive carp that are threatening the great lakes is it?
I heard about those that can jump out of the water.  If so I hope we are killing them when we catch them.
They compete with more desirable species.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Your talking about the ASIAN CARP and no, these aren't them. I don't know about Asian carp jumping out of the water, but common carp jump out of the water all the time. IMO common carp can be just as destructive as any of the newer invasive species.

walleyechaser

« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:11 AM »
well lets kill them when we catch them.
I run a knife into dogfish and sheephead whenever I catch them.  Feed the birds.

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:12 AM »
Bigred,
What body of water did you pull that big Bas**rd out of? We've come close to that size out of the West River every now and then. 

Just think of all those people that don't fish carp!  There Nuts!!! What other species can you find almost everywhere that regularly goes over 20#?
Dave
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2006, 11:52 AM »
Bigred,
What body of water did you pull that big Bas**rd out of? We've come close to that size out of the West River every now and then. 

That carp came from the Hudson River.

Bigred, did you guys weigh the big carp?

It was 43 inches long, 33 inches of girth...most fish calculators put that at 50lbs 13 oz while some other calculations put the fish even larger....the current state record is only 50lbs 4oz....  We let it go, as we didnt realize that the fish was over 50 (i forgot my scale)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.