The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Phenomenal day pike fishing.  (Read 3161 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Phenomenal day pike fishing.
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Had a phenomenal day Pike fishing here in Maine this past weekend. Picked up about 20 pike, several monster crappie, and a couple Jumbo perch (crappie and perch shown in ep.69.) If you watch, hope you enjoy!

If interested, watch here: https://youtu.be/AV6cI_7TccI

Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
Re: Phenomenal day pike fishing.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Those flags didn't stay down long, Josh.....like you said "craziness" ;D

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Very nice job with the videos. And some awesome fish.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:19 PM »
nice fish bet the day flew by.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Those flags didn't stay down long, Josh.....like you said "craziness" ;D
The longest they were down was the last 20 minutes of the day! I was exhausted.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Very nice job with the videos. And some awesome fish.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:27 PM »
nice fish bet the day flew by.
It did. Flew by.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I can't believe you weigh what you do Josh! You sure get your exercise chasing those "Bumble Bee" flags.
You had some quality pike. Nice releases for someone else to enjoy. Too bad some just waste them on the ice. I guess after not using that jig rod, you have to make a decision on the traps....leave em home or leave the flasher home. You never had time to jig. ;D

Remove the pike in the cold water fisheries but the warm waters will always have them after we're all gone.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Timbco24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Great videos!! Really enjoyed watching!
Get out of the boat and walk on water

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:04 PM »
I can't believe you weigh what you do Josh! You sure get your exercise chasing those "Bumble Bee" flags.
You had some quality pike. Nice releases for someone else to enjoy. Too bad some just waste them on the ice. I guess after not using that jig rod, you have to make a decision on the traps....leave em home or leave the flasher home. You never had time to jig. ;D

Remove the pike in the cold water fisheries but the warm waters will always have them after we're all gone.
I bet between the 2 mile walk x 2, and all the running I did, was close to 6 miles total. I got a good amount of jigging in before the flags really started flying, thats where I picked up them monster crappie. Then they scattered.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:04 PM »
Great videos!! Really enjoyed watching!
Glad your enjoying them, thanks for watching.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:26 AM »
I bet between the 2 mile walk x 2, and all the running I did, was close to 6 miles total. I got a good amount of jigging in before the flags really started flying, thats where I picked up them monster crappie. Then they scattered.

Hard to do both. Try leaving the traps and bait home. Get a Clam Plate and a 6 inch mora. Put your Marcum in the 6 gallon pail. If you keep fish put them in the pail when you catch them. Make a plywood disk to cover the fish before you put the Marcum back in it. That bucket is also your seat. Cut a piece out of it and you can leave the lid on when you put the fish in it. Add a couple pieces of PVP to your sled and stick your poles in them. Use a 3x6 plastic tackle box. Leave your skimmer home and the auger becomes the slush remover. Swap to 2-3 lb line. Find a smaller sled and drag on. Drill fish move repeat.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Love the video. running after a flag is exciting and is one of those classic ice fishing memories. But I much rather play a fish in with rod and reel. There are times when you just need to decide what you want to target... and how far apart you set your traps lol.

bee, I love the minimalist setup. When I’m not fishing with others, and I’m not after trout (haven't fished for pike through the ice yet), I basically do the same as you.  except I have a bucket with the foam rod holder insert as a rod carrier. I usually don’t keep fish, and I’ll sometimes bring a small folding chair. When I am fishing with others (since no one else I fish with jigs) or if it’s really windy I’ll sometimes bring my hub shack. I sometimes set up my HT ice riggers to join the fun with flags, while jigging nearby. I only have a jet sled jr so bringing the shack and bucket of traps/ice riggers takes up too much space. The only other thing I always have with me is an insulated bag for my extra wax worm and battery for the drill.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:49 AM »

Hard to do both. Try leaving the traps and bait home. Get a Clam Plate and a 6 inch mora. Put your Marcum in the 6 gallon pail. If you keep fish put them in the pail when you catch them. Make a plywood disk to cover the fish before you put the Marcum back in it. That bucket is also your seat. Cut a piece out of it and you can leave the lid on when you put the fish in it. Add a couple pieces of PVP to your sled and stick your poles in them. Use a 3x6 plastic tackle box. Leave your skimmer home and the auger becomes the slush remover. Swap to 2-3 lb line. Find a smaller sled and drag on. Drill fish move repeat.

It was hard in such a busy day. I was primarily looking for pike, and is why I had traps. I’ve fished 4-5 times without traps and love not having the extra weight. Working on some sled mods now, should make it a little easier.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Love the video. running after a flag is exciting and is one of those classic ice fishing memories. But I much rather play a fish in with rod and reel. There are times when you just need to decide what you want to target... and how far apart you set your traps lol.

bee, I love the minimalist setup. When I’m not fishing with others, and I’m not after trout (haven't fished for pike through the ice yet), I basically do the same as you.  except I have a bucket with the foam rod holder insert as a rod carrier. I usually don’t keep fish, and I’ll sometimes bring a small folding chair. When I am fishing with others (since no one else I fish with jigs) or if it’s really windy I’ll sometimes bring my hub shack. I sometimes set up my HT ice riggers to join the fun with flags, while jigging nearby. I only have a jet sled jr so bringing the shack and bucket of traps/ice riggers takes up too much space. The only other thing I always have with me is an insulated bag for my extra wax worm and battery for the drill.
I’m starting to use my traps less and less. I want to try to jig for pike, should be fun, especially on a busy day like this was.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I almost always get Pike. Not looking for them but they come along. I got one yesterday suspended.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Nice fish and video, I feel I was right there with you
Thanks for sharing

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:39 AM »
I almost always get Pike. Not looking for them but they come along. I got one yesterday suspended.
Surprisingly, I didn’t get any pike on the jig rod that day! Figured I would have got one or two.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Nice fish and video, I feel I was right there with you
Thanks for sharing
Your welcome. Thanks for watching.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Nice video!  Looks like a busy and fun day out on the ice!  Nothing better than chasing pike flags all day.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Nice video!  Looks like a busy and fun day out on the ice!  Nothing better than chasing pike flags all day.   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Very busy, too busy at times! Surprisingly no fish were gut hooked with some of the multi flag times!

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:18 PM »
thats a great day right there ! :o

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:53 PM »
  That sure was a busy day.  When you have enough footage for two different videos, that is quite a fishing day.  Good job.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:32 PM »
nice toothy critters! when i fish that lake i fish that same area.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:55 PM »
thats a great day right there ! :o
One of my better ones!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:56 PM »
  That sure was a busy day.  When you have enough footage for two different videos, that is quite a fishing day.  Good job.
It was a tough day to edit, so much action I had to cut about several smaller fish.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:56 PM »
nice toothy critters! when i fish that lake i fish that same area.
My favorite part of the lake. Pike, Crappie, Perch, and Sunfish all in the same area. Just missed the WP that day.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:17 PM »
I've caught all of them there when you're not casing flags! ;)

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:44 AM »
Great video! The only thing I missed were the cold hands.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Great video! The only thing I missed were the cold hands.
Thanks! Cold hands are no fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.