New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What's your favorite way to cook Burbot?  (Read 8529 times)

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's your favorite way to cook Burbot?
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Caught one today and have never tried it but heard they are good if prepared properly. I thought I would give it a try. Also any tricks on cleaning it?

:-\ :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's your favorite way to cook Burbot?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:35 PM »
skin the critter; fillet; cut in chunks; poach in Sprite or other lemon soda; chill; mix with mayo, and celery and serve as lobster salad.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:41 PM »
forgot to mention; in Alaska the Athabasca Indians value the livers more than the flesh; I find it too "fishy", but give it a try if you dare.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Check YouTube for how to clean ‘em. You pull the skin off with pliers like a bullhead.

I fillet them. Take the back straps, cut ‘em in bite size pieces and boil them like lobster and eat with melted butter. I cook the tail section fillets breaded like any other fish.

I got my first of the year last Sunday but had to turn her back because I had to go to work. Not a bad deal because she was carrying a bunch of eggs.

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Sushi style

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:13 PM »
don't bother skinning.  just pull off the back straps by cutting down the spine and ribs.  fillet the tail meat and deep fry in beer batter.  easy peazy and you'll never think of releasing another one.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Since they wind up commercially as poor man's lobster that's what I'd do. Don't catch many in these parts but this recipe lends itself to any larger white-fleshed fish.

Cut into "lobster sized" pieces. May be large or smaller but make the shape/size resemble a lobster or piece thereof.

A quick boil/poach with appropriate herbs/spices (read shrimp boil). Don't overcook, 3 - 5 minutes is usually plenty depending on thickness. Remove and drain.

Brush with butter, dust with paprika (to complete the lobster illusion) and pop 'em under a pre-heated broiler for another couple minutes. Make sure they're done but not overcooked.

Serve hot with drawn butter. I know, it's a little puttery but the effort is worth it. Looks nice too unless you just wanna pack your face.

OK, I made myself hungry. Gotta go.

Crap, I took too long. Now I'm really hungry.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:33 PM »
I skin out the tail, peel it off the bone and remove skin. Cut the fillet into bite size chunks, Deep fried in Ginger Ale without any breading and dipped them in melted butter. 👍

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Theres a ton a ways to cook them i skin them cut the straps off salt water to clean...chunk them lightly bread them deep fry dip in butter omg are they good...ya know the meat from belly side cut it into strips deepfry just like clam strips...or cut ut up and make homeade clam chowder ...where u get that buddy i want me a few a them they ate goood...ur jigs are in the mail

Offline Mossymo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:35 PM »
I just caught one last week too. Boiled in water with a lemon. Sprinkled paprika, drizzled melted butter. Not sure cause of the butter but it does taste like lobster.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:44 PM »
i never ate one but maybe i should try it  ;D

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Theres a ton a ways to cook them i skin them cut the straps off salt water to clean...chunk them lightly bread them deep fry dip in butter omg are they good...ya know the meat from belly side cut it into strips deepfry just like clam strips...or cut ut up and make homeade clam chowder ...where u get that buddy i want me a few a them they ate goood...ur jigs are in the mail

Thanks, didn't think of making chowder with it. Will use the belly meat for that and thanks again for the jigs. Oneida.

:thumbsup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Yea the belly meat is chewy like clams awesome for clam chowder...trap there really a tasty fish

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Ya they are a slimy critter but good to eat. Trap.... i figured anything that swam, flew, walked or crawled has seen your stomach!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:23 PM »
got to admit i have eaten sheephead  ...pickled carp .... even fried perch eggs  but never a burbot  ,which is funny ,i caught them ,never thought they were offensive ,i just never took the time to learn how to clean and cook one ....i'll give it a shot ....i bet it would go good with possum belly stew ....sorta like surf and turf huh ? ;D

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Possum Belly Stew?

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Yea your talking about trapper... ;D

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:25 AM »
wow i like this thread. used to fish burbot through the ice at night with perch heads and my father always gave them to some older people at the time i guess i know why now. guess ill have to catch some this winter on champlain and try these recipes.

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:40 AM »
I brought one home from oneida once and filleted it then fried it like a bluegill. it tasted like fried rubberbands, ill have to try this poor mans lobster thing next time...
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:54 AM »
fried rubberbands !!!!  see i knew it would go with the possum

Offline FlagsUP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Better run fast, that fish is screamin!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I slide them back down the hole
Pass me the BOONES farm!

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:08 PM »
First results are in. After not doing the greatest job filleting the half frozen fish. Boiled the cubed backstraps in ginger ale with lemon pepper added for 4 minutes. Place in bowl with melted butter and it was pretty dam good. Will try frying the tail meat tomorrow. Completed with another ginger ale recipe: 6oz of ginger ale and 4oz of Wild Turkey 101 over ice.  :thumbsup: I did get another large burbot today at the same place and released it not knowing the results.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Offline jrogbuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Drink the Wild Turkey and release the fish
My people skills are fine. It's my tolerance for Idiots that needs work.

Offline burtbomberz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:22 PM »
I've eaten ling up in Canada..they were delicious...these look like dogfish as we call them.. didn't think anybody ate them

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2018, 04:59 AM »
Bowfin or Dogfish are in Oneida too, different fish. Both put up a hell of a fight.

Offline OneidaSteve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:29 AM »
Glad too see more people are on to this fish and we won’t be seeing them thrown on the ice for the birds! (Way too good to feed the gulls with!)

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:28 PM »
I have noticed that there are a lot less gulls hanging out on the ice lately. Must be begging for fries at McDonald's. I did see a Snowy Owl on the way in the other day, pretty cool.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:02 PM »
my favorite way to cook burbot is i  start a large open fire on the ice  with old pallets i get from a chemical company, i start the fire with refilled 1 pound propane tanks and  a misused mr buddy heater .... i often pee to control the flames from getting out of control ..... i then cook the burbut over the open fire! since i sarted doing this i don't even keep perch! i just sell them or toss them on the ice and watch the seagulls go crazy .....sometimes i like to complain about the parking  ,which is a red flag that theres a heavy burbut bite  going on ......i hope this post helped you out .... and remeber  burbut goes best with a  laugh or two ...next week i will tell you how  to  use fire to melt the ice  in trails and save  on your  auger blades!!!!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:13 PM »
I just happened to see this one the Canada Ontario page and thought it looked delicious.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=354530.0

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:01 PM »
My favorite method for preparing lota lota is the plank method https://www.thespruce.com/grilling-fish-on-a-plank-334339 with a minor alteration to the recipe at the end.
Toss the burnot and eat the plank  ;D
The tug is the drug.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.