The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: what size auger???  (Read 6298 times)

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
Re: what size auger???
« Reply #30 on: Oct 06, 2011, 04:09 PM »
I have a 10" and the wife says I hit the bottom with it.  >:D :whistle:

But if shes happy with the 6", you might want to move up to the 8", things can only get better from there.  ;D

Dosen't freeze up as quick
Easy to put your depth/finder in the same hole
Better for hole watching
etc....
been useing my 10" for 50 years no problems yet1

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Oct 06, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I know you can bring a small fish up a big hole, but can you bring the fish of your lifetime time up a small hole.  I don't take that chance! Go bigger you may need it one day. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline HARDTOP

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • MACK ATTACK
« Reply #32 on: Oct 06, 2011, 04:27 PM »
I know you can bring a small fish up a big hole, but can you bring the fish of your lifetime time up a small hole.  I don't take that chance! Go bigger you may need it one day.
x-2

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:16 PM »
6" is the most universal. 
I have used all sizes oo.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:20 PM »
  My power auger has a chipper style blade and I've pondered getting a Lazer (shaving) style blade for it. 
\

Why would you do that? Power auger blades are supposed to be of the chipping style as that makes them cut faster.
It might work with the shaving blades on the power auger but it will just cut slower. I would leave the chipper blades on it if I were you.

And I prefer an 8" in a power auger. Here in Alaska a power auger is a blessing most of the season. Last year I needed my 12" extension by the end of the season.
For most peoples fishing a 6" would do just fine though.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2011, 09:14 PM »
go for the 12"!  bigger the better!  >:D :whistle:
aww u beat me to it.12" hole is perfect for run and gun pan fishing

surflizard

« Reply #36 on: Oct 07, 2011, 06:03 AM »
What ever it takes, right ??  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Oct 07, 2011, 06:13 AM »
 hmmm   :-\     wonder if that has a hitch on the back to pull the sleds!  and you must be able to get tracks for it!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #38 on: Oct 07, 2011, 07:13 AM »
\

Why would you do that? Power auger blades are supposed to be of the chipping style as that makes them cut faster.
It might work with the shaving blades on the power auger but it will just cut slower. I would leave the chipper blades on it if I were you.

And I prefer an 8" in a power auger. Here in Alaska a power auger is a blessing most of the season. Last year I needed my 12" extension by the end of the season.
For most peoples fishing a 6" would do just fine though.

Not to start a pi$$ing contest, but I've got a shaving head auger that's pretty fast.  Heck, I can beat most power augers simply using it manually.   
Chris Raymond

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Oct 07, 2011, 08:15 AM »
The way I look at it. If you can open a hole regardless of size that you can pull any fish through, Your doing better than staying home. And I don't think 10 seconds makes any difference on how long it takes to get through.

Kinda like the guy going 10 MPH over the speed limit. 3 miles down the road there is a stop light and you are looking over at him thinking: And he was in a hurry to beat me here.

Now don't get in a hurry to fish or you might find your poles and or just the line tangling up.  All together now: Breath in Breath out. Relax. Ice will be there sooner than you might think. Just be prepared.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Oct 07, 2011, 08:58 AM »
AUGER RACES!!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #41 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Not to start a pi$$ing contest, but I've got a shaving head auger that's pretty fast.  Heck, I can beat most power augers simply using it manually.
I find that at my age it even takes longer to light the DYNAMITE!!  ;)2 :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #42 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:36 AM »
I'd love to see 38" of shaved ice in under a minute!!! SNOWCONES!!!!! ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #43 on: Oct 07, 2011, 09:51 AM »
I got an 8" Nils last year and for me, I really couldn't ask for a better auger. Super fast, easy and big enough to bring just about anything through. Good luck!

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Oct 07, 2011, 11:13 AM »
AUGER RACES!!!!
Ya, I want to race the fella that has the hand auger that can beet most power augers!
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #45 on: Oct 07, 2011, 11:44 AM »
I've been using a 8" for 20 some years but planning on going 10" this year. I don't fish by big crowds, my kids are grown up, and don't care who steps in my hole. My problem is with super cold temps and the hole freezing narrow, plus I like to fish and have my flasher in the same hole. I am older now and don't like to bend down as much anymore so I have a small dip net I use to net my fish in the hole (pan fish), I have lost too many fish trying to drag them up onto the ice only to watch them sink back down the hole. I already have a 3 hp jiffy so it will handle the 10" good. We usually finish out the year with 36" of ice so a hand auger is not in my vocabulary.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Oct 07, 2011, 11:59 AM »
I am not trying to say shaving blades are slow or start a pi$$ing match either.
But a power auger comes with chipping blades for a reason. They have the power and torque to make use of the chipping blades And this allows them to cut faster.
I was just curious as to why someone who had a power auger that works fine would switch the blades to a less efficient cutting blade thats all. Why take a professionally engineered cutting device and modify it to cut slower and less efficently?  Unless my blades were bad for some reason and all I could find on short notice were shaving blades I would not change them out.
Last year I had to put on my 1' extension on my power auger near the end of the season. I drilled over 25 holes in one morning for tipups and jigging rods in 4+ feet of ice. My 8" jiffy with its fast gearing and chipper blades saved me enopugh time and effort it was well worth it to me.
Running safety chain on your chainsaw will slow it down some. It will also kickback less. There is a trade off. Safety for speed. A worthwile trade.
In the scenario NozzleJockey posted I don't believe switching to the lazer shaving blades will gain him anything at all.It will still cut ice just fine it will just cut a little slower than chipper style blades. He loses a few seconds of time per hole. Not much but then again I ask why would you switch properly working blades for a slower design?
He will have wasted the cost of the shaving blades and cost him some time spent per hole in the process. Just an observation and I hate to see people waste time and/or money.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Oct 07, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I use a 10 inch mo and wouldnt want it any other way. Last year where I fish I had an 18 in extension on my 42 inch flyte and almost bottomed out. My 10 inch hole is around 7 or 8 inches after fishing all day and I dont want to be chipping it all day wasting my precious fishing time.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #48 on: Oct 07, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Ya, I want to race the fella that has the hand auger that can beet most power augers!

If you were closer, I'd be your Huckleberry. ;-)  Ground rules, yours couldn't be a Nils and it would have to be stock, no competition augers.   
Chris Raymond

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Oct 12, 2011, 08:21 PM »
A 6 inch hole is plenty big enough for most species to fit through......the only reason I go with an 8 inch hand auger (nils) is because that 6 inch hole tightens up too much over the course of the day and I got sick of drilling new holes because the first ones got too small!  I'll add that I am one of the guys that does not like the 10 inch holes......especially during late ice........that 10 inch hole spreads out aweful big when the temps are in the 40's!  Dangerous!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Oct 16, 2011, 07:43 AM »
I bought a 10 inch auger when I started ice fishing some years ago, after 2 seasons I bought a 6 inch blade for it, the 10 inch rarely gets used anymore. I am considering getting rid of the 10 inch this year and getting an 8 inch for walleye / whitefish. But generally the 6 inch is plenty of hole for most of the fishing I do, and the 10 inch is too large especially in the flip over huts. The one advantage that I see when using the 10 inch auger is the ease of getting the fish started up the hole when the ice gets thicker than 2 feet. Even if I get the eight inch auger blade it will get used later in the season when the ice gets thick.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Oct 16, 2011, 03:30 PM »
tell you the truth  my icegator will beat 95% of all gas jobs

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Oct 17, 2011, 09:42 PM »
I have an 8" and a 10", used the eight for along time, then started using the 10" and that's where I've stayed only because I like the room for my vex and pole in the same hole and I don't have to jump to get the vex out when I get a bite, ya I find the 10 alittle over kill and they can be a hazard but the 8" just seems so small now. Lol. Maybe get a 9" and find a happy medium? I'm thinking about it. But people say I over think stuff to, am sure the 8" will be fine for ya.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.