Author Topic: What fish would you like to see in Sask.?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
What fish would you like to see in Sask.?
« on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I know that for some fish we would like to fish for in Sask. could not survive due to predators, water temps, depth, improper spawing habitat etc... they would not work, but if they could what species would you like come to Sask. and why?
I would like to see: :whistle:
1.Bluegill and or Pumpkinseed
2.Crappie
3. True Pickerel {Chain Pickerel,Redfin,Grass}

I think all these fish would be fun to fish for, they are all a bit smaller but there aggressiveness makes up for it. I have never caught any of these and think they would be fun to go for and under ideal conditions and areas they are usually found in good numbers.

Lets hear from you all. :)

WW

Offline surfer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What fish would you like to see in Sask.?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006, 11:42 PM »
 I would not mind catching a tiger trout,It says they have them in burtllien lake,but I never caught one yet. I definetly agree on bass small or large.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:48 AM »
crappie, crappie,crappie
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2006, 07:55 AM »
I've heard crappies are good to eat..... :whistle:
And they have them in Ontario so it might not be too cold......
But I don't know about pickerel, or chain pickerel or whatever you call them.   I think we might have enough 'eating machines' around already.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2006, 10:51 AM »
I Agree--Crappie & Bluegill for winter fishing.
          --Lge & Sm. mouth Bass would be nice although I know nothing about them,I'm presuming our waters are too cold for them  :unsure:

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Smallies are capable of living in our waters. There are monsters in Rocky Lake near The Pas.  Only problem is they eat aggressively sme things as eyes = downsize of numbers and size of eyes.    As for crappies, they have them in wuite a few resevoirs in Manitoba, they get some slabs produced there.  How they would affect a fishery, I don't really know.  Hurt the perch maybe? 
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Arn't there bass inthe very south of the province already?  Down by Estevan I have heard???

Offline chicksthatfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2006, 02:39 PM »
Which res are you refering to???

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:16 PM »
There are largemouth bass in Boundary Reservoir, and there are smallmouth bass in a few different lakes scattered in Saskatchewan. Rock Bass are found in the Qu'appelle system.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2006, 05:26 PM »
If I had it my way, I would like to see Both Small and Lrgemouth Bass introduced into the Saskatchewan River System. That way, there would be something to fly fish for.

Muskies I think would be fun and Challenging, but I don't think they can survive in Saskatchewan(Too Cold).  And Pike are too mumberous in Sask for Muskie to develop good numbers, unless there was a Big Lake that was virtually Pikeless.(Pike fry hatch 3 weeks sooner than Muskie fry.  Pike minnows then eat all or most of the muskie Fry).
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2006, 09:30 PM »
There are largemouth bass in Boundary Reservoir, and there are smallmouth bass in a few different lakes scattered in Saskatchewan. Rock Bass are found in the Qu'appelle system.
Thanks guys-I'll have to check into this lrg. & sm. mouth bass thing....I didn't think we had'em here. I know there are Rock Bass in the Qu'Appelle system...a fly fishing friend caught one a few yrs. ago,but you certainly don't hear of many being caught.
I wouldn't want anything introduced that would jeoprodize our Walleye fishery...that seems fragile enough as it is.
   Maybe just some Crappie & Bluegill in a small isolated lake somewhere for Iceshanty members only  :whistle:

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2006, 09:39 PM »
I have heard that the only place in Sask. for largemouth bass is Boundary reservoir, South of Estevan as it is the only place in Sask. warm enough for natural reproduction, due to the warm water discharge from the power plant.
I have also heard some where that they stocked smallmouth bass there last year and a few lakes through out Sask. They are monitoring them to see if they are viable species. I hope they make out OK, they to would be a blast to fish for.
There are a few lakes in the Duckmountains that have tiger trout and a few select lakes through out Sask.
I asked the Fort Qu'Appelle fish culture station staff about rockbass when I visited them and they told me Pasqua Lake is the furthest West of there range. They would also be neat to have in a few more lakes I have caught them in Lake of the Prairies and they are very scrappy fighters for there size.:)

WW

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2006, 09:48 PM »
Off topic but...hey WW!! I was looking for you at Katepwa derby-were your roads bad??

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2006, 10:41 PM »
The roads were a bit slushy but I did make it to the derby. I looking around for you also but did not see you.
:blink:
I was in the East corner of the designated area, close to where the only pike came from. I did not find any but one of my partners had a few nibbles and a guy right beside me brought up a half pound and a pound and a half tullibee, and another angler beside me caught the largest crayfish I have ever seen. He was bringing up his smelt and it was hanging on all the way, it must have been an old one, it was around 6 inches long with lots of scratches and scrapes on its shell and both it's whiskers were missing, nasty claws on it too. :o
How did you do?

WW

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2006, 09:02 PM »
"How did you do?"-quote fr WW
 Embarrassed  :-[ to say,got one small perch that looked like he should have been in a can with 5 of his brothers and on the supermarket shelf,in fact I gave him to one of the guys walking around there so I wouldn't be accused of using live bait.
  I was in the second row(old age is slowing me down) near the other outside corner,then later on moved to the outside edge-guy behind me got one of the winning  perch.
   I had my 'Ice Shanty' toque on and was looking for others(need bigger logo's on the toques).

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2006, 04:31 PM »
 I'd like to see the Smallmouth Bass do well here so they stock more. As well, I'd like to see a population of other panfish such as Crappie, Bluegill,Pumpkinseed, ect... established in some of the lakes and reserviors in the south-eastern part of the province. This is of course so long as the "new" species don't do damage to the existing fish populations.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.