Author Topic: fishing conditions-buzz bombs  (Read 4154 times)

walleye king

fishing conditions-buzz bombs
« on: Feb 20, 2004, 09:59 AM »
hello as a new member and not to swift ::) ???on a computer please bear with me hows the fishing been at jackfish lake and regina beach over the next two weeks there are some pretty sreious derbys going on any early reports how these lakes are producing ; buzz bombs do they work and can they be tipped with a minnow and still be effective  ??? ::)

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing conditions-buzz bombs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2004, 10:23 AM »
I don't know about Jackfish Lake (cousin's got a cottage there but haven't talked to him in months) but I heard Regina Beach was seeing some action.  That derby is sort of like bingo...check out the earlier threads on it...get there early and get lucky and you might win a truck or boat or an ATV.  As for buzzbombs, sure they work but if you're going to tip it with bait, maybe use an eyeball or minnow head or some small piece of meat.  The big attraction of the lure is the vibration imparted by the spinning action, so a big piece of bait would hamper that.  If I use one it's usually in fairly deep  water when trolling when I don't want to wait for crankbaits to get down.  Other lead lures like the zinger let you  put a curve into it so they rock on the descent instead of just falling.  You can always drill a hole in shallow water and take a look at what your hook does when you jig it...then you'll know for sure.  If that helps you win a tournament you know where to share !  Good luck...buzzbomb
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
buzz bombs
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2004, 11:20 PM »
I find it strange that a someone with a the handle of a lure
does not fish it alot or know how it works? :o
You give infomation freely or don't answer posts!
The lure slids up the line when you jig it up
and spins down the line when you drop the rod tip.
The hook and bait do not impead this action.
But if you have no bait on your hook, what is the fish
going to bite? The lure, because that is all it will be interested in.
The vibs and the action bring them in to investigate,
bite will make em bite.
Later TJ

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2004, 08:03 PM »
I found an unopened buzzbomb in my tackle box and checked the instructions on how to fish it.  Sure enough it spins when fished horizontally, and it spins as it descends when you drop your rod tip.  They don't mention it sliding up the line.  How do you get an ounce of lead to slide up your line  without yanking on the terminal end?  I'll admit I don't fish with them a lot, but I do have a few and use them from time to time.  If there's some slack in your line, or the lure's on the way down, it becomes a slip sinker when a fish bites and you have some warning to set the hook.  Otherwise I think it stays right over that treble.  I stand by  not using huge baits on them, too.....I like streamlined.  The username buzzbomb doesn't mean anything...I just thought it would look lame to just use my initials.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2004, 01:51 AM »
That is the reason the rubber stopper is before the knot, to protect it. But weather you belive it or not, they really work great in Last Mountain. At lot of fish taken at the fall Walleye Trail at Rowans are taken this way. You will see alot being used in the
Ice Fishing Derby in a few weeks too. It is a nice open water and hardwater bait, deadly for trolling too.

P.S.: I was going to call my self Pilsner, but figured that was too close to the truth ;D
Nice report on the burbot, we need more like you on here.

Razo

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2004, 08:01 PM »
I wonder why they work so good on last mountain.  I've caught quite a few walleyes with buzzbombs at the stone barn, just casting and retrieving - nothing fancy. 
I must say that I've had very limited or no success with buzzbombs on other lakes though. You'd think if they work on last mountain lake they would work elsewhere as well. 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.