Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 12 mile, Greenfield, West Lake, Red Haw, Ahquabi  (Read 2046 times)

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
12 mile, Greenfield, West Lake, Red Haw, Ahquabi
« on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Anyone have a current report on the conditions of these lakes; ice thickness around the shoreline, water clarity and what the bite is like would be helpful and appreciated. ???

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 12 mile, Greenfield, West Lake, Red Haw, Ahquabi
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Red Haw is in good shape and have done really good in late afternoon early evening on Bluegill and Crappie.  Right off the bottom but real finicky.  Glad I have an FL 18 with auto zoom.  Hope this helps ya.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Red Haw is in good shape and have done really good in late afternoon early evening on Bluegill and Crappie.  Right off the bottom but real finicky.  Glad I have an FL 18 with auto zoom.  Hope this helps ya.
I have only been to 12 mile once last year and did relatively well. I was in hopes of making it a long weekend and trying some new lakes on the way down to Rathbun. How many fow were you fishing in at Red Haw?

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Aquabi has been slow. hooper pond is doing ok from what i hear. Although I would choose badger over those two.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I was in about 13 ft at Red Haw.  Planning on going up there tomorrow after work.  Let you know what happens.  :)

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:59 PM »
There is also a lake called Williamson's Pond just north of Chariton that has some nice Blue Gill in it but you'll have to do some sorting on it.  It's east of Williamson on the gravel a few miles.  I usually fish it up toward the damn but see others fish it on up the lake in the shallower waters.  Hopes this helps you out.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:13 PM »
There is also a lake called Williamson's Pond just north of Chariton that has some nice Blue Gill in it but you'll have to do some sorting on it.  It's east of Williamson on the gravel a few miles.  I usually fish it up toward the damn but see others fish it on up the lake in the shallower waters.  Hopes this helps you out.
I appreciate the info, we were thinking about fishing Greenfield in the morning (Thursday) and then possibly fishing Red Haw for the afternoon/ evening bite. About Williamson's Pond, how do you get there from Chariton and does it have other fish besides gills? Thanks again!

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Go north on hwy 14 out of Chariton and the next town....maybe 5 miles or so Williamson is just east about a mile.  Go through Williamson and follow the gravel another 3 miles I'd guess and you should see the signs for the lake.  They have Crappie there too but only catch them in the 7-8" range.  Blue gill around 8-10" aren't uncommon at Williamson or Red Haw.  I did catch an 11" crappie at Red Haw last Friday.  Let me know how you did at Greenfield as I was thinking about cruising over there for the heck of it.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Thanks mj, I think I can probably find it from your instructions. Good luck to you and maybe we will see you on the ice! Tight lines always, slack is evil!!!!  :tipup: :icefish:

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:16 AM »
slack means up  bite set the hook!!!!!!

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2014, 01:15 PM »
True Toofuss........so did you guys have much luck on your tour of the different lakes?  I caught a few up at Red Haw last night but didn't get there until right before dark.  I missed the prime time.  :(

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Well another great day on Red Haw fellas!  Limited out on 8-10" bluegill, one 11" crappie, 3 lbs bass and one of the bluegill went 10.5".  Wish the ice would last this lake is really heating up!  :)

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2014, 09:38 PM »
X2 mjlenz I was fishing yesterday for 2.5 hrs and the water was flowing down the hole and the water was getting stained but the fishing was amazing I caught 119 gills and kept a limit of 8-10" and 4 crappies 10-12" the fishing was better than early ice it was so fast and furious the fish would chase the jig for at least 5' . I had to work all weekend but Sunday night I'm going to slay a few more  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :thumbsup: the fishing was as fast as the animated smiley LOL
Never to many short poles

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2014, 01:29 PM »
We went to Ahquabi last night and caught a couple of 10" crappie and 15 nice 8-10" gills and red ears. The bite was fast and furious from 6 to dark thirty! We did real good at Red Haw on Friday as well limiting out on gills and we caught 7 crappie 10"-11" and some Lm bass too! Great time hope to get out maybe on Thursday when the weather is a little bit more cooperative! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.