Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 1st ice guess  (Read 8148 times)

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 1st ice guess
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2009, 04:09 PM »
It's the 12th of Nov. and 60° .... not sure... :-\ by the middle of Dec. there will be "fishable" ice in Iowa ?? ... :'(

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2009, 10:54 PM »
It's the 12th of Nov. and 60° .... not sure... :-\ by the middle of Dec. there will be "fishable" ice in Iowa ?? ... :'(

I'm afraid you may be right  :'(

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 13, 2009, 01:09 AM »
Nov. 30th since it is a Monday, and would make a guy have to wait all week to go ice fishing for the day. Unless you skipped work.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 13, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Central Iowa guess: December 5th, most years there is some safe ice in the area by then.  I hope it's the 5th!
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline southfork

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 13, 2009, 02:15 PM »
I'm keeping my hopes up!!!!  In central iowa, 2 years ago, it was 69 degrees on Nov 11.  I caught 15 bluegills on 5" of ice on Dec 6th.  Last year it was 68 degrees on Nov 5th.  I caught 23 bluegills on dmacc pond on Ankeny on Dec 7th.  I think the weather will begin to change next week.  Keeping my hopes up!

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2009, 06:38 PM »
I'm keeping my hopes up!!!!  In central iowa, 2 years ago, it was 69 degrees on Nov 11.  I caught 15 bluegills on 5" of ice on Dec 6th.  Last year it was 68 degrees on Nov 5th.  I caught 23 bluegills on dmacc pond on Ankeny on Dec 7th.  I think the weather will begin to change next week.  Keeping my hopes up!

Hope it does that again this year,  after some warm days in Nov it snowed the week of 1st deer season the last 2 years and got downright cold fast.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:18 PM »
All of the weather sites are saying above average temps for Nov and December.   Not lookin good fellas....Could be like that one year when it was new years for walkable ice.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 16, 2009, 08:25 AM »
I was on the same body of water here in Central Iowa yesterday as I was a week ago, about 50 acres. 

The temperature went down less than 2 degrees...i was expecting more.

The 15-day forecast at accuweather has very cold nighttime temps...I hope they are right.  ;D

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 16, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I saw that too Todd, im keeping my fingers crossed about accuweather's prediction  ;)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 16, 2009, 12:01 PM »
Once you see some cold temps on accuweather 15 day ya get all excited.  Then ya look the next day and it gets warmer or the cold is further away.  Its not looking to be a good year already.  I was on the ice 3 days from today last year.  Drove the truck out the 10th of Dec last year.  I dont see walkable ice this year till around Dec 5th-10th AT THE SOONEST with accuweathers pattern.  And if I hear of walkable ice before then in minnesota within a 150 miles radius im there ;D
This is enough to drive a man to drink!

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 16, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Even with the warmer weather, I'll bet I'm fishing Templar, The Grade, etc by the beginning of December. I wish it would just freeze up. Without many ducks or geese to chase and lots of crops still in for pheasants, it's making this fall one of the worst I've had and making my ice fishing itch almost unbearable.

Offline mydogcarl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Nov 16, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Realistically, I'm hoping for the weekend of 12/19 right now for central Iowa...  I should have a deer on the ground by that time (2nd season shotgun).  This fall has been tough...  DSM River has been too high to fish for the past 3 weeks, and pheasant are a bust (3 1/2 hours on Sat flushed ONE hen)...  come on ice  :woot:
Mike

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 17, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Wow guys check out the accuweather 15 day now..........Ummmmmmmm m wow!

Can you say el nino?

Where the hell is my bottle at? :unsure:

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 17, 2009, 04:26 PM »
I think that im just gonna shut my mouth and not say anything.  As soon as accuweather posted those colder temps, the next day they changed them to warmer ones.  Mother Nature seriously has it out for me...

(Throws a middle finger in the air to El Nino)  >:(

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:01 PM »
There arent many years when I havent been out by Dec 5.  Last year it was Nov 23, not gonna happen this year.  Keep your eye on Morse, Corny and Elm.  They do seem to lock up and build ice quickly.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:09 PM »
The truck and house were out the 10th of December last year.  Ill be happy if i'm walking out the 10th.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:51 AM »
And the forecast keeps getting worse day by day.  First 5 days of December look junk for making ice.  Only ice were gonna be having is in our cocktails for the time being. :-\

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:22 PM »
At least the orcsat for Waterloo has us getting below freezing for lows most of next week. Course in Iowa they cant get the forcast right 10 hours in advance, let alone 10 days or longer. With my luck we'll have another blizzard Dec 5th.

Offline Hawkize

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:57 PM »
 >:(One month from today. >:( Man that is a >:( L O N G  W A  I  T . >:( >:(
Ice Ice Baby

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 24, 2009, 05:27 AM »
I've noticed in central iowa, hickory grove the water temp. is going down about 1* a week.  Its 47.4 now so in about 4 months it should be froze.

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:21 AM »
went muskie fishing on Spirit this past sunday.. Still had water temps in the 45 degree range

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Surface temps can drop real fast.  We'll get an unforecasted blast of cold air and in a few days everything will be locked up. The extended forecasts are like a see saw this year.  The new one looks like its gonna get into teens/single digits then a few days after that get into the 40s again.  Hate to say it this is a year of records cold summer/Warm winter were just gonna have to tuff it out I guess and fish hard!

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 24, 2009, 03:01 PM »
I've noticed in central iowa, hickory grove the water temp. is going down about 1* a week.  Its 47.4 now so in about 4 months it should be froze.

WOW, that is disapointing to hear oldbear!!!  thought it would be lower than that! 

It will be atleast mid-december for us boys here in central iowa...  >:(

Anderson dc= yep, that 15day forecast p'sssss  me off too, they change it everyday.  maybe someday they will change it for the colder!  :)

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:26 PM »
Iv'e got a new Otter just sitting in the garage gettng dusty >:(

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:26 AM »
16 degrees here this morning.  Dipped well below the 24 degrees forecasted for a low.  

IT'S GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER ALL THE TIME!!!!

Yes thats ice :o

Offline rellison8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:31 AM »
I seen a decent amount of skim ice on ponds even down here in the tropical SE part of the state this morning.   I would say it is getting me all fired up but the fact is I'm there!  Lets get on with it.   ;D

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:40 AM »
East Slough in Emmet County was probably 3/4 covered with ice this morning  ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:52 AM »
The preperation for first ice can now commence. ;D
Ice reports are gonna start coming next weekend I think.  Maybe fishable ice the weekend after that?  Should be on by the 12th-16th.  Forecast looks promising :tipup:

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:40 PM »
West Okoboji was 41 Degrees this morning, Slough connected to the SW corner was locked up yet at 4:30 when I came off the water. Online temp shows Spirit at 39 and falling.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:40 PM »
ICE SKIM ON RICE LAKE THIS MORNING!!!!!    :woot: :icefish: :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.