The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Sturgeon Fishing  (Read 826 times)

Offline switchboarder2

• IceShanty Rookie
Sturgeon Fishing
« on: Feb 12, 2007, 12:18 PM »
Hey Guys,

This is a long shot but I'm looking for a little direction here.  I'm a college student and rather than head south and get ripped on a beach for spring break, my buddy and I were thinking of heading north to Otsego Lake for some sturgeon fishing.  We have a shanty and a chainsaw to cut a hole big enough.  I'm thinking of picking up some really stout rods and using my pike baitcasting reels.  For line I was thinking of going with 14lb. mono or maybe a 25lb. braid with a barrel swivel and a 8, 10, or 12lb. fluorocarbon leader.  I'm a little unsure about hook size and weight.  Maybe a slip sinker?  I'm also lost on what to use as bait. 

I know there are shantys that you can rent and guides up there but I'm more of a do-it-yourself 'er.  Hoping you guys can give me a little direction of tackle and bait.  I already have a lake map and know that I need to obtain a tag prior to fishing.  I'm not looking to keep any fish, just a good fight and a good picture, maybe a cool home movie. 

I'm also hoping someone can help me out with depth.  Like I said I have a lake map already and I see there are several holes throughout the lake.  I also have a quad so I can traverse the lake quite easily.  If anyone could provide me with a little direction it would be appreciated.  I'm not looking for your hot-spot but if you'd like to share info through a PM, thats fine too.

Thanks Guys and Tight Lines
If it swims, I can catch it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.