The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Bottom Bouncing  (Read 1178 times)

Offline shortyonice

• IceShanty Rookie
Bottom Bouncing
« on: Feb 09, 2007, 07:36 PM »
Maybe this is commen knowledge???? Been fishing in about 20 feet of water....It seems to help me to bounce a jig tipped with spikes off the bottom, maybe ten seconds worth, pretty feverishly. Then lift the jig off the  bottom a foot or so. It seems to call fish in. Its been working for me. Good Luck!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Bottom Bouncing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Done that for years for eyes and perch...seems to be something to it...

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2007, 09:26 PM »
I think maybe it kicks up some kind of organisms that the fish eat.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2007, 10:42 PM »
thats my trick for catching perch on lk st laire, in the few trips i make there each season.  ill take a small kastmaster spoon (blue on silver) tipped with anise beads, and hop it along the bottom.  there needs to be a rectangular hole, where i can hop it along the bottom from one side to the other as many times as i can.  when i reach the end of the hole, ill quiver the rod tip, and raise it a few inches, then pause, ill do this all the way to the top of the ice, then do it over again.  ive had perch completely inhale the treble hook while im raising it.  it does seem to turn them on for some reason.  i plan on doing this this weekend lol
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2007, 08:29 AM »
Have been using that method since the 70's when I read about it in "In-Fisherman Magazine". Works well with a flash lure (Swedish Pimple, Cast Master) with a rocker or tear drop "dropper". Have watched perch in clear deep water called in by this method.

A lift drop method, a little  higher in the water column (about 3 -5 lift drops in succession) about 1' -2' lifts, the flash produced will bring 'em in also.

Often I'll combine these two methods when the bite stops, tryin' to get the school back into the area.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Been doing it as well since the '70s. Have a new UW camera and bouncing baits kicks up a decent amount of stuff off the bottom, the softer the bigger, naturally. Little ones rush right in and pick thru it, big 'uns come in and check it out. They will hit (sometimes) small critters and smallish minnows, a few times they just sat there and watched the show. Of course they need to be reasonably close to begin with, they see it and probably hear it as well.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2007, 06:18 PM »
To a OLD TIMER thats nothing new.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Sorry

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2007, 07:47 PM »
Thanks for the info....Ill give it a try....Im too young to have read In Fisherman in the 70's.....

So to what you old guys would call "One of them there whippersnappers"  Ill be tryin it out.

M.I.R.C. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.