The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Southern Michigan Walleyes  (Read 3804 times)

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
Southern Michigan Walleyes
« on: Feb 11, 2007, 10:07 PM »
Anyone have any good inland lakes for walleye within 1 or 2 hrs of macomb county, i can't find them on lake st. Clair.  It seems like the smaller lakes would be easier to locate them on.

Offline thecanoeman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Southern Michigan Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2007, 05:20 AM »
calvin21
The only inland lake that I can recommend is Union lake. However, if you want walleyes but are willing to work at it, check out the lake Erie (breast bay reports) they've been doing well down there, they're 2 mi out. A local bait shop is going to start a shuttle service this week when they zero in on them.

pinche

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:44 AM »
Halloway res. below the dam. I talked to a few guys on saturday that said they were there last weekend and did well.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2007, 06:55 AM »
Calvin,
You obviously have access to a computer as evidenced by your participation in IceShanty.com. Get on the Michigan Government web site and goto the DNR section. There you will find the stocking records for all MI lakes and rivers to include private stockings that a permit was filed for. You may find that lakes never known for Eyes, have been recently stocked. You may find your own honey hole this way. Good Luck.

walleyechaser

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2007, 08:42 AM »
Calvin,
You obviously have access to a computer as evidenced by your participation in IceShanty.com. Get on the Michigan Government web site and goto the DNR section. There you will find the stocking records for all MI lakes and rivers to include private stockings that a permit was filed for. You may find that lakes never known for Eyes, have been recently stocked. You may find your own honey hole this way. Good Luck.

Thats how I found mine. 

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Thanks

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2007, 09:20 PM »
I just found my NEW favorite WALLEYE lake also.....thanks guys for the heads up! ;D
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:18 PM »
Calvin,

Where is exactly ar ethe lists of the lakes that have been stocked all i can find on there is how many fish have been stocked in the past couple of years

flockshot

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:06 AM »

Where is exactly ar ethe lists of the lakes that have been stocked all i can find on there is how many fish have been stocked in the past couple of years
that should be the same list. its says stocking records-where we stock fish.  its all gonna be older data..which is good..who cares what they stocked this year...those fish arent catchable.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:10 AM »
Calvin,
You should be able to access the lists by County and or year. The Master angler cathes for both Keep, and catch & release are also available by County and Year I'm rather sure. This way you can target the species, and trophy waters of your desire.

walleyechaser

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:37 AM »
http://www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/

here ya go Calvin you can search by county, species, date etc.

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:55 PM »
Thanks for the link i found out that the lake i want to go to was stocked in 1999 with about 4 in walleye and in 2001 with 5in fish.  Those fish should be of pretty good size by now right.( any guess on length or weight)

flockshot

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Thanks for the link i found out that the lake i want to go to was stocked in 1999 with about 4 in walleye and in 2001 with 5in fish.  Those fish should be of pretty good size by now right.( any guess on length or weight)
good luck buddy..you just completed the easy part..finding what lakes have them...now the hard part..finding where the heck they all went after the dnr truck dropped them off.

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:59 PM »
I checked the master anglers also and there are a ton of walleye from Muskegon lake this year.

walleyechaser

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:37 PM »
the numbers stocked doesn't mean they took.  Keep in mind that 2% of stocked fingerlings survive to maturity
It takes walleyes 3 years to reach legal size.  Also sometimes they can be stocked in lower numbers and take off like crazy. . 

Offline USMarine1171

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:34 PM »
I've heard good things about Saginaw Bay/River.  Anyone been out there?

flockshot

« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:36 PM »
the bay is to sketchy to get to the good water..but the rivers producing alot of small fish.

Offline USMarine1171

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:59 PM »
the bay is to sketchy to get to the good water..but the rivers producing alot of small fish.

Yeah, I've heard there are good numbers out there.  Too bad they are small.  Prolly some fun fishing though.

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:34 PM »
I was out on the bay last weekend 6 miles out and we caught 6 fish all keepers what happened this week to make it unsafe.

flockshot

« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:04 AM »
I was out on the bay last weekend 6 miles out and we caught 6 fish all keepers what happened this week to make it unsafe.
i dunno.. i heard it was just very very very spotty at best from alot of people..your the first guy ive heard of going more then 4 miles out.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:12 AM »
If you go down 4-6 miles out, you wont have to worry about rescue, it will be a recovery! Too much open water and unsafe conditions being reported on the big waters to chance it for me.

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2007, 10:04 AM »
I'm not positive how far exactly we where out but the guy we were with had the GPS and that is how far out he said we were out.  By the way the ice was about 10 inches thick where we were and there were a couple guys out further then us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.