The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: S.W. Michigan Fishing  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
S.W. Michigan Fishing
« on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:08 PM »
Hey Guys, Just One Of Your Neighbors From Indiana...My Question Is...Are There Any Decent Lakes In The Lower End Of Michigan...Worth Travelling An Hour Or So, For Ice Fishing? I Have Never Fished Michigan ...And Was Just Wondering ....How Is Klinger Lake, I Have Heard Of This Lake...Im Into Panfish... Any Info Is Much Appreciated...Thanks,.... Rodney...

Offline ohiowoody

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: S.W. Michigan Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2005, 11:14 PM »
used to fish some small lakes just west of reading michigan. lot of small chain type
lakes in the area.

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2005, 05:27 PM »
I live in Constantine,MI...there are a lot of good lakes in SW Michigan..From my experience Klinger is a good first ice lake, lots of nice gills...walk out from the landing to the left about 70-80 yds...you should see a bunch of holes, or guys out in the spot...its kinda swallow there too...Also, try Thompson Lake its a good pike lake and you'll catch some gills, perch, and crappie...Corey Lake is good, but a long walk from the landing..Long lake in Union is good, also Baldwin lake is good also in Union..Lost of lakes to choose from in that area..To get bait go to Klinger Lake Trading Post, got everything you need and advice...Its on US 12 couple miles East Crooked Creek RD. which is the road you need turn on to get the Klinger Lake landing area...Any other questions feel free to ask me...i almost forgot...JIGS- i use pink, chartreuse, green...just try one of these colors and if they wont bite it, switch it and find the one they want...

Jim
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Thanks Jim and woody ..Thats Alotta Useful information...Hey Jim..Have you ever fished Wagner Or Yellow lakes in Berrien County...ive been looking at arial photos on Terraserver just to get some ideas...they look like real nice lakes ..but i dont know if they're private or what?  Thanks again for the great info... im gonna go find arial photos of all the lakes you mentioned..                 Rodney

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2005, 12:32 PM »
 Branch Co. has two chains and lots of other lakes take your pick lot's of good fishing.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2005, 01:58 PM »
No i have never fished Berrien County...I stay pretty much around St. Joe County and Cass county...With the map your getting you'll be able to see right where i am talking about on Klinger...Thompson Lake right straight out from the landing...Corey Lake down by the narrows or where the crowd of people are out away from them...Long Lake in Union on the North edge and East side...Good Luck

Jim

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2005, 11:14 PM »
Thanks Again Guys I Found The Lakes On The Maps..I Will Give Them A shot

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Wow..Are Those Lakes Really That Deep? Klinger 72' and Corey 80'...

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2005, 06:51 PM »
yeah there that deep in spots but not really where the fish are...the deepest i have fished was about 20 ft.  so dont worry about how deep it is..

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I just moved to K-zoo last October and from the fishing I did last winter I can say for sure that Surgarloaf lake right off 131 is a decent panfish lake. Towards late ice it was pretty easy to catch a limit. Granted it took a little work and some hole-hoppin' but I guess if you like gills and specs it might be worth the drive. Decent sized eaters with some big boys mixed in.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline pike hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Baw Beese Lake in Hillsdale county and Coldwater Lake in Branch County are probably the best panfish lakes in the state.  I've caught 12" redears in the summer off of Baw Beese. The former state record redear came from Coldwater lake, I think it was 13 3/4 inches and 1.94 pounds!

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:13 PM »
PH- Baw Beese is decent. I fished it when I was younger, mostly in front of the beach and around the island. Boot is another decent lake if your going to be in the area.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline lov2fsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:07 AM »
Anyone willing to share some hot spots for gills???? I'm in SBend and fish in SW Michigan but have not had much success lately. Tried Eagle and Juno and Cory one day. Have not been able to find the hot lake yet. Any suggestions???    Lov2Fsh

flockshot

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Anyone willing to share some hot spots for gills???? I'm in SBend and fish in SW Michigan but have not had much success lately. Tried Eagle and Juno and Cory one day. Have not been able to find the hot lake yet. Any suggestions???    Lov2Fsh
um..almost every post above yours is sharing the info you are looking for.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.