Author Topic: St. Croix users?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
St. Croix users?
« on: Dec 19, 2006, 07:55 PM »
Hello fellow St. Croix users.
My girlfriend was so kind as to get me a St. Croix Legend Elite LIR24UL Ice Rod for my b-day.
I use the Premier rods...and love them.
This thing is tiny. I know it is for finesse fishing for panfish, but holy smokes :-\
My ? is...have any of you had a chance to use on yet?
I am excited to nail some panfish with it.
I purchased a Cetus SS500 for it backed with Micro Ice Crystal 1#.
This is a small reel...bu it seems too big for the rod.
Does anyone have any feedback on the rod?
Thanks!!!!!

Offline SeMiFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: St. Croix users?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:17 PM »
i bought 2 of the same rods and the 2 days i got out on the ice i loved fishing with them, i even cought a 21" pike on it which was alot of fun, dont let the size fool you its a strong little bigger.  ;)

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:29 PM »
You are going to catch more fish than ever before. If you put the reel towards the front of the handle it will "balance" it out. Need anymore help just shout.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2006, 08:38 PM »
I have a 24" UL Avid also w/ a small Tica Cetus on it, & I had, well the bulldog walleye I belive it was, had that thing @ a 90 deg angle for a good 5-6 mins before the line broke.  I'd say the one you have is just as strong & not worry about it.  They are great rods, but I still prefer any Thorne Bros graphite rod over most anything else.

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:00 PM »
AugustWest,
   I love my Legend Series.  I am a little spoiled living in Park Falls, WI. The factory is a mile from my house.  I bought a couple different spring bobbers to inter-change when fishing for gills or trout.

Big W
Big W

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:01 PM »
You are going to catch more fish than ever before. If you put the reel towards the front of the handle it will "balance" it out. Need anymore help just shout.

Thanks bhorn...that was the answer I was looking for.
As for Thornebros.com...That is where I buy all my equipment from...well, either them or Cabelas.com.
I own 1 of their rods and love it, but this rod was a gift...so I plan on using it or I won't get anymore gifts from the one who allows me the time to enjoy my obsession :callcops:
I just need a little hard water to use it on.
I am thinking after dark SLABS with this tiny spring bobber piece of heaven.

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:04 PM »
its my favorite rod.
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:05 PM »
AugustWest,
   I love my Legend Series.  I am a little spoiled living in Park Falls, WI. The factory is a mile from my house.  I bought a couple different spring bobbers to inter-change when fishing for gills or trout.

Big W

Need a roomate :P
You guys have it made out your way(midwest), thanks for the input...Big W

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:40 PM »
I use St. Croix UL for jiggin lakers and I love them! I've caught my personal best laker on an UL(just shy of 10 lbs), and I've landed 2 lakers at the same time with it, a 21" and 23". Now that was fun, I thought I had my 20lber on, but then I could feel them fighting against each other!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2006, 07:50 AM »
I told my fishin wife two years ago that I would buy her the fishin stick of her choice since she outfished evryone on the ice three times in a row, except me. She chose a $40.00 St. Croix! 24"UL.
She is now trying to make a "DEAL" for another! The St. Croix she has, created a monster in her. Help!
She insists leaving home at 3:30 A.M. to get out to LSC so that we can get priority hole location. The lake has to be 30 miles acrossed! I have had to leave late arriving buddies behind because she "MUST" be one of the first to get on the ice to have the tip-ups set, holes drilled and be jigging. Guess I should'nt complain. My buddies now arrive on time!

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2006, 10:29 AM »
You are going to catch more fish than ever before

I second bhorn. 

I knocked my buddies' around on the ice the day I first used mine.  I caught 25 perch to their 4 or 5 thanks to the Legend's spring bobber, tough mid-day bite, frontal crappyness, but I caught fish on tiny siz 12 and 14 flies I had tied.  I have the same model as yours...you are going to love it.  I managed mine the same way, a subtle Valentine's hint to my girl. (Sent her the link, LOL) PAYDIRT! 
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2006, 11:03 AM »
I just bought my 3rd one, the previous 2 were the UL and this last one is the Medium Heavy.  I cannot give you a 100% answer since I have not received my MH one yet, but the UL are amazing.  I talked one of guys that I work with into buying one after I was out fishing the group of guys we were with by 4 or 5 to their 1 and they were using a regular spring bobber.  He absolutely loves his also.  I'm looking forward to jigging for Walleyes with the MH rod, and the best part is all I need to do is change the spring out and I can fish for pannies with the same rod.  I think that I just might be happier with the heavier rod and a lighter spring for panfish.  I will let you know in a few days when the new one arrives.

The springs are so sensitive that you can detect the lightest bite, biggest problem I have is holding the rod steady enough so that the spring does not shake when I want it to be perfectly steady.  I have to rest my hand on my leg to keep it still.

If you do happen to break it St. Croix will fix it for free for the first year and as good of a company as they are they might do it even longer.  They fixed mine after my son broke the tip off by mis handling it, and had it back to me in just a couple of days, granted I only live about 60 miles from Park Falls.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2006, 11:19 AM »
Good stuff.

I have a few St. Croixs, and I love them all. Sensitive rods that still have some backbone to 'em. Great pieces of work.

Offline TylersDad03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2006, 03:31 PM »
I use the old style ul-ml legends with the pfleuger president mico reel it fits excellent.

I really dont like the new style handels with built in reel seat. I just looked at them in the store and there not as nice looking as the old rods are.I think they made a mistake by changeing them but what do I care I bought a ton of the old ones when reeds had them on sale.I paid 23 bucks apiece 8)

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Your welcome!!! I own 7-8, lost count. All are without the reel seats. When people ask me for advise on equipment this the number one thing to buy!!! I have fished many times with the inventor and I have watched him fish without any electronics and out fish everyone around. This is by far one of the most important pieces in catching fish through the ice. Glad I had a chance to fish with the master himself. Learned a lot.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2006, 08:43 PM »
See I love the new handles on them. I hated putting tape on a rod. Great rods you can"t go wrong.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Four rods always rigged:  a 24" UL Legend with the light spring bobber for crappies/perch; 32" medium Avid fished on a Mr. Jigger rocker for trout; 32" medium Frabill Ultra for active jigging trout, including lakers; and a passive fished 4' home-built from an 8' Avid ML steelhead rod broken a few years back-for 10# plus lakers/pike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.