Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89170 times)

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #450 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:17 PM »
You're probably marking shad or white bass, they typically don't bite.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #451 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:35 AM »
Thanks makes me feel better, there was a bunch out there fishing. It appeared not catching much as many were packing up when it got close to dusk. Going to give it another chance just not sure where to start.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #452 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:26 AM »
Thanks makes me feel better, there was a bunch out there fishing. It appeared not catching much as many were packing up when it got close to dusk. Going to give it another chance just not sure where to start.

DNR website has all of the structure marked, otherwise try the coves or the main creek channel.

Offline lewis66

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lewis Rothman - Facebook
« Reply #453 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:10 AM »
Went out on Monday, 7" of ice or better. Only stayed for an hour, slow bite, caught 3 keeper crappies, but they were biting very light. Don't know if it will be safe after the rain. Anyone have thoughts on tomorrow?

Offline ecrooked

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Creek
« Reply #454 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Checking to see if anyone knows the ice conditions on Big Creek next to Saylorville?  Looking to go out this weekend.

Offline Douglas14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #455 on: Jan 27, 2017, 03:00 PM »
Ice was good on Wednesday....fishing was good as well.  Shouldn't have any issues with ice. 

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #456 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:59 AM »
By the looks of the cameras around the marina there is a lot of open water. How much of the lake is open?

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #457 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Pretty much around the marina and beach. A lot on the NE portion. Mid lake was good. Went Sunday and hat 10+, most I've been on all year. Fishing was horrible Sunday though.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #458 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:35 PM »
The sheets are moving.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #459 on: Feb 10, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Drove by today and there is a lot more open water every day.  Today the beach area has opened pretty much south of there to the jetty NW of the handicap dock.  With the temps the next week I could get the boat out on parts of the lake.

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #460 on: Dec 26, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Checked the KCCI SchoolNet8 lake camera and it looks like the lake finally locked up over the weekend. I drove past Friday and it was still wide open.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #461 on: Dec 27, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Drove around Big Creek yesterday (26th).  Saw a couple guys walking along the shore on the west side headed toward the cove just south of the west boat ramp.  I can't speak to ice thickness.

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #462 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:56 AM »
I will be back in central Iowa this Saturday (Jan. 6) and planning on fishing at Big Creek for the day. If anyone is interested in joining up with me, let me know. I grew up north of the lake (Madrid) and know some under the radar areas on the lake that might be worth trying. You can P Message me if interested. Be good to meet a few new ice shanty members in central part of the state to fish with!

Offline ecrooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #463 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Anyone have an ice report on Big Creek?

Even though I likely wont catch anything, I refuse to give up. Going out this weekend for the ol college try. Ice report app doesnt have any updates.

Thanks!

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #464 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Ice was 8" off Williams on Monday where I fished. 4 small gills.

Offline Central Iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #465 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:03 PM »
11” tonight, tough bite.

Offline Central Iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #466 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:57 PM »
 I should add that was on the west side north of the boat ramps.

Offline Jmac100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #467 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Big Creek last week.  I caught over 80 gills in the Lost Lake area....not one keeper in the bunch.  Saw large schools of gizzard shad on my camera.  I let the DNR guys know at the park office and they said they're aware they're back.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #468 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Big Creek last week.  I caught over 80 gills in the Lost Lake area....not one keeper in the bunch.  Saw large schools of gizzard shad on my camera.  I let the DNR guys know at the park office and they said they're aware they're back.

When I was fishing this fall from the boat, there were tons of shad breaking the surface at dusk.  I'm worried it's game over once again for BC. 

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #469 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:11 PM »
I had the same result this fall, lots of them

Offline Chili

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #470 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Finally a good day at the creek today. Crushed the gills along with a couple big crappie. Shad is a bad - saw a ton of dead ones under the ice.

Offline ecrooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #471 on: Jan 24, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Well, has anyone been out to see if there is fishable ice? I am looking to go out this weekend

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #472 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:11 PM »
Well, has anyone been out to see if there is fishable ice? I am looking to go out this weekend

According to the DNRs weekly fishing report: "Conditions are improving, anglers will start to venture back out. Use caution as there will  thinner spots under the snow where there was open water a little over a week ago. Foot traffic only; ATVs are not recommended yet."

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #473 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:16 AM »
I was out yesterday with a friend. There was good ice on most of the lake, we did take my atv and his snowmobile out on the lake and didn't have any major issues.  I did hit a slush pocket closer to the dam than most anyone was fishing.  I would say that you need to use caution if you want to take a machine out but this cold weather should grow enough ice to be safe for machines by the weekend.

Offline cbducks78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #474 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Fished it yesterday,

Noticed areas with deep drifts had 3" ice out in the middle.  Most other places had 5-6".

Offline ecrooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #475 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Fished it last weekend, two straight days, marked a few fish, no takers....tons of shad marked. Time to move on I guess

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #476 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:23 PM »
It’s sad this lake doesn’t change. It has a ton of potential but for some reason it just never improves.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #477 on: Jan 30, 2019, 10:30 AM »
There are monster walleye in there but you have a hard time catching them because of the shad population.  They just aren't hungry...

I have seen 30"+ eyes pulled out of it by the DNR in the netting surveys and it amazes me nobody ever catches them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.