Author Topic: Pike fishermen: Quick Strike Recommendations?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike fishermen: Quick Strike Recommendations?
« on: Nov 26, 2021, 05:38 PM »
Hey folks, I know a handful of you are very successful pike fishermen. I’ve never caught one and would like to spend a day this winter hitting the pike waters in CT. For those who use off-the-shelf quick strike rigs, any recommendations? Any models to avoid? I saw some reviews on Northland models claiming the hooks are crap, but want to put everything in context for the size pike we have in our state.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike fishermen: Quick Strike Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2021, 07:07 PM »
I’ll add that I saw the YouTube video posted elsewhere in here, where a guy made his own using an elastic band in the middle to keep deadbait horizontal. Open to making my own rigs but curious about opinions on the premade ones.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2021, 09:10 PM »
I recommend not using them. I’ve seen big pike and muskie swallow both trebles and that’s a death sentence. Try a single 3/0-5/0 J hook or octopus hook.

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2021, 07:41 AM »
Hello Hooking,

Personally I make my own pike rigs. It’s much cheaper first off & I like having the ability to make them specific to where I’m fishing. One game changer for me is strictly using flourocarbon leader material  rather than wire.
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2021, 10:38 AM »
Hooking, not to get off topic but a suggestion from one fellow ice guy to another. Make sure you have plenty of line on your spools when fishing for pike as well. I can’t stress enough that having “the correct gear” holds some truth when fishing for these predators. And a good long pair of needle nose pliers.  :)
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline bloodrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2021, 05:37 PM »
I recommend not using them. I’ve seen big pike and muskie swallow both trebles and that’s a death sentence. Try a single 3/0-5/0 J hook or octopus hook.

^^^^ this

Man, Catching trophy pike is the goal every time we go out but having one deep hooked honestly takes some of the joy out of it. We mostly get them out and we take great care of them but I’m done with quick strike style rigs. We’ve tried to cut the hooks off the shank in extreme scenarios. If you must use them you need to set the hook fast on the fish. Too many times I’ve peaked out of the shanty last year and been like “oh crap how long has that been up”. Every one of those ended up being deep hooked, hate myself for those fish.

Going back to single circles this year. We fished them 1 season and did very well, never missed a fish and they were all hooked corner of the mouth or front of the mouth

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2021, 06:10 PM »
In the UK where they do 99.9%, C&R for their pike often use Double Ryder hooks in a Quick Strike Rig Configuration and They have a very good survival rate with one nice pike that was caught at least 44 times... As mentioned, if I was going to sit in a shanty and not watch my tip-ups, then there is no point in using Quick-Strike Rigs... It kind of defeats the purpose, if you are not going to set the hook "quick!"...

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:45 PM »
Tie your own quick strikes and leaders. Store bought stuff has failed in the past, and I'd rather use my own components.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2021, 10:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. A lot of thoughtful points here. My main priority is C&R other than when stocked trout choke down my kids’ powerbait and become dinner, and that would certainly remain the priority if I came upon a pike. I don’t park in a tent and keep a small radius of tip-ups but either way your points made me rethink using such an aggressive setup.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2021, 01:47 PM »

100% agree, I have fished for pike for years, I have never had to use a quick strike, I just use a regular hook with a normal leader, I do not use steel leader for pike either.

If you are using GIANT baits, well maybe, but around here, I have never felt the need for a quick strike, the risks do not outweigh the gains IMO.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.