Author Topic: Jigging for walleye  (Read 4652 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Jigging for walleye
« on: Oct 25, 2003, 08:03 AM »
Now i know its a little early, and i mean alittle, but anyways. I have just started to ice fish for walleye this winter. This is the pond i plan to fish, http://dep.state.ct.us/cgnhs/lakes/squantz/depth.htm Now if you look on the left side of the map you will notice a sttep drop off between the first and second stream that enters into the pond. I was thinking about starting there, Now i know this isnt exactly a very accurate map but where would you start/fish. If it makes any difference this map may help, http://dep.state.ct.us/cgnhs/lakes/squantz/weed.htm This one shows the weeds, no wouldnt think they would hold there but they might. there is only one problem with this lake besides i dont know where to fish, It has a huge abudance of alewives. Now in the winter they will go to the warmest water and just stick to the bottom and be very sluggish and an easy target for walleye since that is its main food source throughtout the rest of the year. I have not a walleye jigging rod nor a flasher or any other electrical equipment, but come christmas day i will have that all. So heres the question, if you were fishing this lake based on your knowledge of walleye, where would you start and what would you use to jig with? I plan on starting off at that droppoff i mentioned and have some tip ups shallow and was thinking of jigging deep with some frozen alewives i keep for soly ice fishing, i was thinking of a frozen alewive on a fire ball jighead and problaly a jig a whoppers, rocker, or maybe some pimples. SO what would you suggest any info on jigging for walleye on this piece of water that you can see from the maps let me know please, also what are some jigs you have in your boxes for walleye. Thanks in advance

-Evan

P.S.- Sorry for taking so long to explain but i dont think if i included the maps and explained the alewive problem i dont thing i would get/ will get the answers im looking for.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re:Jigging for walleye
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2003, 08:44 AM »
walliceman
Looking at the map You are in the right area. Steep dropoffs are ok but try to find steep drops with a point on it like what is below the southern most creek near the park where it drops into 40ft of water. Without Electronics it will be hard to follow the contours of the underwater points.But get yourself in shape to drill a lot of holes. From the lake basin every 2' of elevation of the bottom up to the shallow water say about 10ft drill holes around the point keeping the holes for that elev.about 10ft appart. Rig some tippups and jig the holes. If you get action on a tippup send your jig down the same hole and work it a while before putting the tippup back in then go to the holes near where you just got the fish. Jigging should pull out more fish than the tippups.The one thing before drilling the holes is get their early enough to get the holes in before the fish go on the bite as you donn't want to scare them  away. Drill all the holes before you start fishing. This will allow the area to calm down a little. This is where a gas auger is worth its weight in gold. Then rig and fish. As far as lures goes sense you have a ton of Alwives in this lake try Jigging Rapalas Jigging Shad Raps Swedish Pimples or anything else you can think of to immitate the food base. One question to you is did you fish this lake in the summer? And if you did were the Walleye catchable? And the other Question do the Walleyes use any of the creeks for Spawning? This would be a good place to be for the spring before last ice. Just be carefull of the current in the lake  The creek will make the Lake ice thin.
Good Luck
Cold Feet

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2003, 09:12 AM »
Cold feet, Yes i have fished it a couple times in the summer with no success on the eyes, but contacts i have pulled out twin 28" but then again some people believe he should be voted number one fishermen. anyways he told me that the fish there are far and few between. But last winter a guy caught a 13 pounder on a sweidsh pimple, i dont know where exactly but ill try and find out if it is any of the locations we/ you have mentioned.  I mean i have only been fishing for walleyes for about 2 months, but my knowledge is still growing. anyone else wanna add to the pot?

-Evan

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2003, 07:54 PM »
walliceman
One key word you said, the fish are far and few between. Maybe you should think about another lake, if this lake has a large food base yes the fish might be big but they also will be a lot harder to catch with all the food to chose from. The window of time they are on the feed might be short due to the amount of baitfish in the lake, the smorgasboard is in front of them all the time and makeing your bait look like something that they just cann't refuse will be the key to your success. All the more for a gas auger and electronics. If you donn't see fish after jigging a few min. move on. One other point about where you fish try to stay over gravel rockey bottom. This might help you a little if you know where to find the gravel you should find some Walleye. Also be prepared to stay after dark for a hour or so. You might want to get a few fishing mags. that might help you with ideas about what you might want to use or how to use them along with ideas about where to try in a lake like this. Every fish you take you should make a log of where when and how it was caught, depth weather time of day. This might seem like a lot but if you are new at it, it will give you a reference for the next time out or the next year.
Keep us informed on your findings
Cold Feet

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2003, 10:54 PM »
Will do, Im hitting it tommorrow from shore, even though its not hardwater ill let you know how i do.

-Evan

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2003, 09:45 AM »
Got one smallmouth and one perch, not to bad but still no walleyes. Ill still give it a chance in the winter.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2003, 04:02 PM »
wallicemman
Well the Smallie should be a indication that their is a gravel bottom and the Perch is more bait for the Walleye. Sounds tome you might be getting closer. Did you jig or feel the bottom to see if its what your looking for?
Cold Feet

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2003, 04:24 PM »
cold feet,
If you look on the water depth map again you will see in the bottom bay kinda where the boat launch is if you go up that bays western shore you will see one brake that goes into 30 feet of water i was fishing right about there, I was getting alot of weeds and with some mixed gravel/rocks.

-Evan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.