Author Topic: Small spoon and size 3 Rippin rap rod ?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Jayman76

• IceShanty Rookie
Small spoon and size 3 Rippin rap rod ?
« on: Dec 02, 2022, 11:31 PM »
32-36” length
Under 100
Help please

Offline Jayman76

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Small spoon and size 3 Rippin rap rod ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2022, 09:01 AM »
Targeting crappies perch and walleye

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2022, 12:14 PM »
You only need to look around and that's half of the fun.

A long time ago, trying to get a rod over 28" was almost nonexistent.  Even now it's a hit or miss as manufactures don't provide a full selection either.  Currently most rods in those lengths fall into the medium to heavy power rods.

So back then, I went custom from Thorne Bros.  Actually I started out with their ice show display rods and got me two rods of one Panfish and one Perch Sweetheart in 32" length.  Fished that for a few years before going back and getting an actual custom ordered one.  A Panfish Sweetheart 32" with extra line guides and secretly become my baitcasting rod prototype.  Panfish is about equal to a Light power rod while Perch is about equal to Medium Light power.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:42 AM »
Haven’t used it yet but I purchased the 2B 32” savant for 89 bucks.  Think that would be a good rod for the type of lure selection you mentioned.  That’s actually what I got it for believe it or not.

Offline Jayman76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:53 AM »
I was looking at that also
I was the 2b dead stick and love it
Thanks

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:00 PM »
For spoons + rippin raps, I like a fast action, graphite rod - that's mostly for working the lures properly.

32-36" length suggests that you'll be fishing outside, so try to find 1 w/ larger guides that resist ice up.

All my graphite rods are old, but most of them happen to be St. Croix - sorry can't help you w/ newer models.

Good luck!   ;D

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2022, 10:20 AM »
I was looking at that also
I was the 2b dead stick and love it
Thanks

If you are looking at getting the 2B/Elliot style rods, I would suggest you call them and walk them thru what you are looking for and they can help you decide what style will work for you.  Another person here on the site did that and was really pleased with their assistance. 

Even if you don't end up getting their brand, it will give you a style of rod and tip action that you can look for.  Might help in your selection.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2022, 10:57 AM »
If you are looking for general specifications for a rod, sounds like you want something that has a little stiffer tip.  You don't want a wispy noodle style, as that would dampen the jigging motion.  If you  can, try and find a Angling Buzz video where Brad Hawthorne explains all this.  You want to be in control of the jig, in other words, you want to maintain a tight line on the jig and have it bounce when you want it to.  Softer tip rods will allow the jig to float on the reaction. 

I tend to use either a light or medium stiff rod for these types of jigs.  I am not using the tip as a visible cue for a bite detection.  Depending on the size of perch or walleye you are chasing, you could go to either end of this style or rod.  Length of the rod is what you can use if you are fishing inside or outside a shack.  Longer rods allow you to stand near the hole and still have the tip of the rod near the hole.  Shorter rods allow you to fish inside a hub/flipover and still be able to set the hook.  If you have ceiling height in your favor, you can go to the 32" - 36". 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Jayman76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2022, 11:13 AM »
Found it
Thanks

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2022, 07:11 AM »
If anyone else is looking for a similar type retail rod within these specs.  There is a Clam Scepter rod 32" ML power.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2022, 07:14 AM »
Hard water Custom on eBay. Great rods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.