Author Topic: Flipover auger storage?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flipover auger storage?
« on: Nov 16, 2019, 12:29 AM »
What's everyone do for spud and auger storage in both single and 2 man flips. I usually just jam the spud in the ice, and the drill powered auger either gets tossed in the tub or lays on the ice. Thinking  about  some kind of rack or tube on the back of the 2 man and down a side on the 1 man.  I hand pull the sled on the ice and have a truck so plenty of room.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
Re: Flipover auger storage?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2019, 05:01 AM »
For the auger I always drill mine into the ice a lil way. If there’s enough ice. Spud I don’t think about cuz I don’t normally spud myself. Always follow my buddy who spuds our way onto first ice.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2019, 06:15 AM »
I don't carry a spud (me bad).  I have an Ion and just leave on the ice.  I have a quick release on the augur blade and can detach from the power head for easy transport.  I don't take the battery off the power head during the day and never killed the battery.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2019, 06:48 AM »
I don't carry a spud (me bad).  I have an Ion and just leave on the ice.  I have a quick release on the augur blade and can detach from the power head for easy transport.  I don't take the battery off the power head during the day and never killed the battery.

X2 on remove the batt. What kind of quick connect you use for the auger been thinking about picking one up or doing one of my own set up. I have a ion as well
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline 50ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2019, 07:07 AM »
I have an Eskimo one man flipover. When fishing, I always use a plastic bag to cover the electric drill and leave it outside the flipover. It makes me more comfortable, especially in windy days or freezing rain.

No spud. I drill a hole near the shore to make sure it's safe to fish.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2019, 07:35 AM »
 First ice and late ice it’s in my paw , when I get to my destination just set it down or jam it in the ice , when the snowmobile comes I still bring I cross a lot of pressure cracks

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2019, 08:19 AM »
Usually I won't take my 2 man till plenty of ice and I'm dragging it with a wheeler with a digger bracket for the auger. Early in the season I'm just pulling a jet sled and spud and auger just get sat in that.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Couple options ..build a Smitty ..detach your shelter..when done drilling your hole place your drill and/or spud on the Smitty..and drag your shelter to your fishing holes . I bring a Jet sled out with me ..either laid on top of my two man or towed behind via a small one foot length of chain and two eye bolts and two carabineers...I place some gear I don't need in my shelter for fishing along with my auger and spud etc  . Some IS members have built their Smitty sleds oversized to actually mount their spuds and augers to their Smittys as well as their shelters.The Smitty build thread is great in general but post #1725 may be what your looking for

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.1710

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2019, 01:21 PM »

X2 on remove the batt. What kind of quick connect you use for the auger been thinking about picking one up or doing one of my own set up. I have a ion as well

Ion sells a combo quick release and ice anchor. They are really two pieces.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Ok I didn’t realize it was a system for the auger too
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2019, 06:49 PM »
One man, two man flip over, I have never had an issue with getting all my gear in the tub. Including my propane auger, and spud bar. I am pulling my setup by hand. I thought I saw someone say that they cut a hole just of the shoreline and determine that the ice is safe. If you don’t want to use a spud bar it’s up to you. From first ice to last ice I check the ice! Even i I am following the marks left by my cleats from the day before! Call me a sissy, but if I drown on the way back off the ice after I tell my little wife I am bringing fresh gills home for dinner? Man she would come down to hades to tell me how stupid I was!
Y’all
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2019, 07:31 PM »
One man, two man flip over, I have never had an issue with getting all my gear in the tub. Including my propane auger, and spud bar. I am pulling my setup by hand. I thought I saw someone say that they cut a hole just of the shoreline and determine that the ice is safe. If you don’t want to use a spud bar it’s up to you. From first ice to last ice I check the ice! Even i I am following the marks left by my cleats from the day before! Call me a sissy, but if I drown on the way back off the ice after I tell my little wife I am bringing fresh gills home for dinner? Man she would come down to hades to tell me how stupid I was!
Y’all
Keep it safe! JDL

Always spud out and spud in. No sissy it's called smart I'd rather be safe and walk and extra half mile than be sorry and never make it home
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2019, 11:47 PM »

Always spud out and spud in. No sissy it's called smart I'd rather be safe and walk and extra half mile than be sorry and never make it home

Is it really that hard to pull yourself out of the ice?
Being serious, I have never fell in and don't plan on it either...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:15 AM »
Have never falling thru personally, have helped a few unfortunate souls get back on top of the water tho. It really is no joke and can be very hard to get back out.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:23 AM »

Yes its really that hard to get back out of the ice. Knock on wood I haven't fallen through but I have helped guys get out usually they are panicking and thrashing around breaking up more ice making the situation worse. It's very scary and your soaked quick so the added alright of being wet doesn't help either
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:06 AM »

Unclegill your no sissy ,
   Spud today and fish again tomorrow
 I even have a spare with me Incase some body doesn’t have or forgets theirs

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Unclegill your no sissy ,
   Spud today and fish again tomorrow
 I even have a spare with me Incase some body doesn’t have or forgets theirs

Amen brother!!!

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:52 PM »
My spud screws together, so I break it down and put it in the sled when not in use and I made a rack on the back of my sled for my auger. If I want to close my flipover the auger goes on the ice. Never had a problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.