The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch in Bozeman  (Read 7327 times)

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Perch in Bozeman
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:15 PM »
I too have caught suckers suspended about 3 feet from the bottom. As for the water clarity issue....again the beach is ontop of the old dump, who knows what might be leaking through the liner they put down.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:13 PM »
fished the mall pond for just an hour or so today after leaving Hyalite.  Its fun.  Keeps the vexilar flashing a lot.
I was surprised how many bass I caught.  Of course you had to fight through the dink stoker rainbows but I got a dozen or so bass maybe more and a few perch too.  No sunnies, thats what I was "targeting" but no luck.

Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:28 PM »
What are you doing to get past the trout?  I've been fishing close to shore and only picking up a few trout.  I'm trying to figure this out so my kids will enjoy it.

Maybe we should have a BBQ out there given all the bzn folks around.

rg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Ive found if you stay as close the the bottom as you can your rainbow hookups decrease dramatically, a good thing to me.  If you want to just catch trout suspend baits eithor just about 4 ft or so under ice or 3 feet or so off the bottom.  The bass seem to be anywhere in about 10 fow and are pretty accepting of most baits as long as you jig, thats when I get them anyway.  Perch same deal.  I fished spots on about 1/2 the lake the other day and found fish everywhere with exception to one spot.  Looking out from the beach on the fowler side or opposite the mall side on the left you'll see a point with willow on it go there and into the little bay on the mall side.  You'll see quite a few holes there close to the point and moving out diagonally towards the mall.  I'd try there first but move around if you can.  Seems like you get 5-7 fish per hole and then it slows.  Again, the fish aren't big, well some of the perch are.  My best perch have been from that beach side to the right between shore and the little island out there.  Seems to be a deep spot there but I think Id look for as deep of water as you can find for perch.  The biggest trout, and there are some 4-6lbs in there (there pretty ugly but still fun...clipped and worn out fins and stuff) have been on the mall side jigging.
Just about anywhere though you'll catch something.
I also found that the pond off of oak by has fish too.  Again little rainbow but there are some in the 13-15" class that I think would be great for kids.  That park is very dog friendly too if you have pets

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 20, 2009, 03:29 PM »
We fished the pond on Oak the other day... funniest thing happened: within thirty seconds of drilling the first two holes I had a fish.  Then nothing for the next two hours, even with fresh holes.  The kids had a blast sledding down the big hill there.

I fished the area on the mall pond you mentioned and caught a few trout quoickly... until I brought the kids  :-[.  I will have to give it another try and see if I can figure out the perch.  I can pull bonefish off of a flat with a flyrod, but this ice fishing, well it takes some real skill  ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:06 PM »
I appreciate you calling it skill, really its persistence, and sonar.  At the pond on oak try just putting the bait town about 8-10 feet.  Open the bale, hold the rod straight out above your head and let the jig hit the ice, maybe a little less if your like 6'7", Im only about 5'10", then close the bale and start fishing.  I fished the farther pond the other day and really don't know if it matters or not.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.