The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: marcum vs. vexilar  (Read 6611 times)

Offline PikeDreams

• IceShanty Rookie
marcum vs. vexilar
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:35 PM »
why do you like one or the other

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: marcum vs. vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Because I have one.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline PikeDreams

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:27 PM »
i am asking if you have one of these why do you like it because i am looking for a sonar

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:31 PM »
either one is a good investment. the vex makes a little noise but is a good unit. the marcum is a good unit also. i do have both.

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:09 PM »
I have a Marcum lx-5 originally bc it was easier to use/understand than a vex. Too many numbers, colors, and knobs on the vex. Made it confusing but they work great once you take the time to understand it. Also, from what I gather, Marcum has a higher watt output which in turn allows for a better target separation when fishing for perch or small schooling fish. A group of perch will show up as a group of lines instead of a large blob which is what I hear is one of the aspects Marcum is better than Vex in. Another thing that I love about the Marcum is the super fine line (SFL) button. It shrinks the lines and allows me to be precise with my jig in between fish or even weeds that are picked up by the unit. Another function to highlight is the ability to change the angle of your cone. It reduces the width of the cone so (for example) you can fish as close to a weed line or downed tree as possible and not pick it up on your screen. Now if you wanted to spend $1200.00 there is nothing like the Marcum lx-9

Either brand makes a spectacular product but this is just why I went with Marcum. Hope this helps.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Check for reviews online for both and also type in "Marcum vs Vexilar" and see what comes up. I did that and saw many comments like Zoo's contributuion above and ended up with the Marcum LX5. I like it. Pretty easy to use but be prepared to spend time learning to use whatever you buy. They require some close watching and at times it's difficult to concentrate on the flasher. Want something simpler and easier, check out the Marcum Showdown. I've seen guys use that with good success, but the flasher is still the best.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:53 PM »
HUMMINBIRD

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:31 PM »
You might as well ask the ford, chevy or dodge question with that one to.  they're both great units, pic whichever one suits you best and learn to use it.  Kinda like ford, chevy dodge, what's perfect for one is terrible for another.  Let us know what you pick though and let everyone know how you like it. 
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:14 AM »
I Agree with you TJet! But would like to add, get the the best your budget will allow. Money well spent I think.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:26 AM »
Having either kind is way better than having none. Both will help you catch fish. Like said before get the best model that fits your budget.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:33 AM »
Did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger. Love my Marcum and my five year old daughter figured it out on about an hour. What ever you get will change the way you icefish. Whatever you do just get one soon!

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:41 AM »

I have had my Vex for 7 or 8 years now, it is a tank...fell out of my truck, gets kicked a lot. Get the ultrapack.

I had a marcum and I always felt like it was going to break, then it did.

Offline frozenout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:16 AM »
Ive had a Vexlar for years. They were the first and I still think ,the BEST out there. My friend has or should say had a Marcum and its already broke so sent it back to Cabela and ordered a Vex which he originally had. Hes a happy hooker again!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:27 AM »
I fished with a Vexilar for  7 years, owned the FL-8 and the FL-20 with a Dual-Beam.  I've switched to MarCum this year, I have a LX-3tc and a LX-6 and I couldn't be happier.  The target seperation is much cleaner, I'm a huge fan of the adjustable zoom vs the vexilars set 6' and 12' zooms, it's much quieter and the lines are much more crisp.  I never had a problem seeing schools of fish on my FL-20, it's weeds and bottom huggers where the better target seperation come into the picture for me.  All that said, I still believe it comes down to personal preference, both are solid units and will increase your catch.  Hummingbirds are nice units and have their advantages too.

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:32 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the adjustable zoom vs the vexilars set 6' and 12' zooms

Thats the only reason I'd trade my Vexilar for a Marcum. But really its half a dozen one way and 6 the other. Figure out how much you can spend and research within your price point. Keep in mind any flasher is better than no flasher!   
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline beerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:12 AM »
V E X!  Have had my fl18 for 10yrs now. Still running like a champ and its on the factory battery! Works great in the boat too.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:21 AM »
It really doesn't matter what brand you choose. You are going to catch more fish with it and after the first few times it will be at the top of your ice fishing check list with auger and bait. That being said i love my Marcum VX-1Pro, I chose it since it is the cheapest model with bottom zoom.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:16 PM »
I get what you guys are saying about separation but I have never not been able to tell when fish are present on the Vex's. The adjustable zoom does sound handy though.

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing? Hunting? So many decisions!!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I have an 8, 18 and 22...... couldn't be happier! had the 8 and 18 for probably ten years plus.The 22 is well worth the investment, IMHO. Lol

SF
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:38 PM »
I had an fl 8 and it was good for a basic unit.  Then I got an lx-5 and I have NO complaints.  Adjustable zoom was the selling point.  That and at the time marcum units were cheaper for comparable vex units.  Mind did break, I'll say that but I sent it back to them and they sent me a whole new unit at no charge after I'd had it for a couple years. 
Sonar is better than no sonar, but from what I've seen, on the ice and from a company who backs their product 100%, I'm a marcum guy from here on out.

Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline gonehunting97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Have had marcum lx1 vex fl20 due to hard times had to sell off some equipment, I now have a ice-35 humminbird, definately the bird is the best bang for the buck and has all of the features the fl20 just half the cost, my bird has been flawless in two seasons and actually has longer battery life and better daytime visibility. my only complaint is it is too bright at night. not tying to cause any trouble just sharing my personal experiences, hope it helps.

Offline DanDANthefisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:09 PM »
I have a 10 year old LX=3 and its been the best flasher I've ever owned, and I have owned many since the beginning of time !!
Like everyone else says though, its to each there own . Just get a flasher nd you'll do better than your doing without !!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2012, 09:19 PM »
To get the same features of the VX 1 in a vex you need to get the 18 or up......I'm a former happy Vex owner that went to Marcum 6 years ago and even happier now...

Offline grinde

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Any idea on the cheapest place to buy one of these?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Pro Fishing Supply, Sprotsmans Guide or almost any other online retailer or local sporting store or baitshop

Offline ckfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2012, 12:08 PM »
I know the marcum vx-1 pro is one of the cheapest out there, and you get a great product for the price. Bought mine for $299 last year and I love it.

Offline fishtheice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Some Day Some How
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2012, 03:12 PM »
i like the vexilar i have the 12 and would go with out it

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Marcum...a product that lets YOU place the zoom where YOU want to, not where the manufacturer thinks it should be. The "mechanical" style flashers are at the end of a 60 year development cycle.  Marcum digital (LX6/7/9) are just scratching the surface of where this technology they developed is going, and its decades ahead of the old school flashers.
MADE IN THE USA. Target separation down to 1/4". POWER to shoot thru ice without drilling holes and software upgradeable.

If you cant decide, let me help...buy a Showdown 5.6, learn how to use a sonar on ice and become a better angler. It's that easy. I use the Showdowns in guiding ice fishing trips and its the easiest to use and most adjustable and versatile unit out there.

Mike
www.aablefishing.comhttp://
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Hydro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Can someone explain the advantage of the dual beam Marcum Showdown to the regular Showdown?  Which one do you guys recommend? 

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:06 PM »
The deeper the water, the narrower (8 degree) cone angle will keep the meat of the beam where it matters, where the fish that can see your lure are.  In shallower water, the wider beam (20 degree) will show you, again, the fish that are in play.

In case of shallow, real weedy areas, then the narrow beam can eliminate a lot of the clutter that keeps you from seeing your jig, but you might not see that fish 5 feet away until it moves in closer...

Like a garden hose, narrow beam puts all the power in one small area, opening it up spreads it out a little...

Bottom line, unless you fish ONE lake, at one depth, ALL the time...you want a dual beam transducer.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.