The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Winnett Area Ice  (Read 5516 times)

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Winnett Area Ice
« Reply #30 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:21 AM »
I did see a few... Got one shot off at a running one but no good
It was kinda a weird deal the the yote i shot at was being teased by a big hawk hovering a few feet above him
The yote was jumping up in the air trying to catch him! I wish i had it on video actually

Offline godammjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:36 AM »
I have not fished Yellow Water for a couple years through the ice.  In 2009 it was spectacular.  We went three or four times and limited every time with 15-18" rainbow.  We have fished the lake in open water twice since then I think and have been skunked both times.  I would love to head back up there on the ice if I ever hear any good reports again.  It may sound funny, but we jigged with small rock & roll lures a few times and just killed 'em there.  I just had those lures with me by chance.

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:53 AM »
It is -3 right now in Winnett, should be making some ice on all the ponds up there.  Hopefully Petrolia is even thinking of getting some safe ice on it.  Forcast is for Teens and single digits over night in that area, COME ON COLD WEATHER!!
The Carroll Fighting Saints are Rome bound again, but now that gives us a weekend off from Saints Football, anyone thinking of heading north to check out Payola or anything in the Winnett area this next weekend?
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Heading to Petrolia tomorrow to give the ice a whack, anyone else headed up north?

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:35 PM »
I was going to take my wife to Hell Creek but I looked at the webcam and it's still open!  Any word on Crooked Creek?

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:39 PM »
Only second hand reports of a couple inches in the Bay, one report from today did say people were out on it fishing though.  I have not heard directly from someone that's driven in there though.  Might give Bob a call in Winnett, he is the one renting the cabins at Crooked Cr.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I know a guy going up tomorrow to crooked creek. He heard there was ice.  It's supposed to warm up tomorrow though.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will see what Bob's report is tomorrow on the MT Outdoor Radio Show.  There is great ice over here in ND but it's a long drive for the wife and kids and means more costs.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Fished Petrolia today, had 2-3 inches of clear good ice.  That was about all we had, 24 lines in the water for over 3 hours with One perch to show.  Headed to payola for the afternoon, caught alot of dinks, but was able to being home a small bucket of keepers.  Ready for Crooked creek to freeze a little more so we can get out there.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2011, 11:12 PM »
How was the ice at payola? Same as petrola?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Petrola had 2-3 inches of good ice everywhere we punched holes.  Payola had 4 inches of good hard ice.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Hi all, so until reading these boards... I have never heard of Payola or Vogel... where are they located? easy to find? I have boat fished petrolia, yellowwater, deadmans, bair, sutherlin, newlan, and ackley... this will be my first winter out ice fishing and looking for the close lakes... also , Payola and Vogel would be nice for those spring windy days when ya cant get on the water at yellowwater or petrolia.

I never made it up that way this last summer... Sounds like a good thing if Yellowwater winterkilled, again... :(

Offline ottertrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Payola is north of Winnett on cemetery road about 10 miles.   Vogel Res is on the main crooked Creek road about 7 miles north of Winnett

Offline Lewie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:14 PM »
Anyone been on Petrolia lately?  Ice report? Any fish?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Haven't been up there since the 10th, fishing was SLOW... 24 lines and one flag in about 4 hours.  If you're heading up that way I'd say take the left and head to Crooked Creek.  The fishing at Petrolia has been pretty slow now for a couple years now.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 19, 2011, 04:53 PM »
So I was looking on FWP's MFISH today trying to dig up some more info on Vogel... Could not find anything. Is it the same as Box Elder Creek Reservoir? Been about 5 yrs since I was up that way hunting so not sure of what is what. Also, is Payola the only place to find perch in the greater Billings area?

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Yes... It is also called Box Elder
My mttrax also lists it as box elder...

Offline Lewie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Tjet - have you heard how far out guys are heading at Crooked Creek?  Are they getting out of the bay yet?

Offline ottertrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:52 PM »
There fishing out at anderson point with atv's and going across the bay at Crooked Creek.  Not sure of anywhere else beyond that

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Anyone been out lately...? gonna try and hit the ice Sat. and was checking conditions. Thanks.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Heading to try vogel and payola for a few hours tomorrow before the holiday festivities... anyone been out there lately? Been kinda worried with all of this warm weather... and more on the way

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 23, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Hey double,
Let us have a ice report if you go. I wanna take the boy up there.
I might head to east fork tomorrow.  Heard there is 8 inches. I will give a report.

Offline yampee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 24, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Looking to head to Payola Monda, want to try some new ice fishing gear I hope to receive for Christmas.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Payola and Vogel both had 6-7 inches, and slick as heck... wind was blowing and was about 45-50 degrees when I left... not much time to fish... so no bites...

Thanks to all for the directions into these lakes, pretty easy to find. Now I just need to learn how to ice fish!

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 24, 2011, 05:15 PM »
At least there is ice. Hope it makes it thru the warm forecast.  Thanks for the ice report.   

I didn't get out the wind scared me off. 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Fished Vogel for a day this past weekend.  Ice was 6-7 inches.  Landed 4 trout, missed another 10-15.  Really light bites but they had us running around from hole to hole most the morning.  Wind blew, and by lunch time there was a half inch of water on the ice.  Not sure what it's going to look like after this week of Crap weather but hopefully it holds up.  The trout out of there went into the smoker last night and turned out great. 

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:31 PM »
how big were thr trout?     i wanna try it sometime.     

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Anyone know how the ice on vogel or payola held up thru this warm weather? Is there any left?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:26 PM »
CNelson,

The trout we caught were all between .5 and 2.5 pounds.   All were little footballs, very fat and healthy with very red fillets.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:44 PM »
I am also curious about ice conditions for the area... finally get a weekend off and need to hit the ice bad! Been trying to decide chance going to Vogel and Payola or run over to Bair (where there has been recent ice reports). Winnett area is much closer than Bair.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.