The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cooking Ling  (Read 6625 times)

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Cooking Ling
« on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Caught some nice ling last night and was hoping someone would have a couple different ways to try and cook them.  I've heard there is a way to boil/bake them where they come out like lobster that you can dip in butter, hence poor man's lobster.  Anyone know this recipe?  I'll take any recipes you've got.  I know this may belong to another thread, but Montanans always have better ideas so I'm going to the source. 
  BE THERE!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cooking Ling
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:09 PM »
When I was a kid in Finland my foster father used to boil them in a mixture of water, cut up potatoes, onions and a little bit of flour or cornstarch for thickening I think as well as some seasonings and other stuff. He would boil it until the potatoes were done and we would eat it as a stew. We did the same thing with pike. It was really good. I could ask my sister to get the recipe for me next time she is home (parents don't have internet in rural Finland) and I can repost it here when she sends it if you like?

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2011, 01:17 PM »
When I was a kid in Finland my foster father used to boil them in a mixture of water, cut up potatoes, onions and a little bit of flour or cornstarch for thickening I think as well as some seasonings and other stuff. He would boil it until the potatoes were done and we would eat it as a stew. We did the same thing with pike. It was really good. I could ask my sister to get the recipe for me next time she is home (parents don't have internet in rural Finland) and I can repost it here when she sends it if you like?

Definitely, I will be trying for pike later this season too.
  BE THERE!

Bullelk34

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:22 PM »
We've boiled ling in salt water for 5 minutes, rinsed in ice water, then eat in drawn butter or cocktail sauce. It's pretty good and can be done with alot of other fish as well. I usually just deep fry ling like anythign else and it's good that way too.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Like Bullelk, only I've always boiled them in sugar water after cutting the fillets into cubes.......then dip in butter..........or garlic butter

Regular baking with garlic butter is also good.........season like any other fish and bake until they flake.......

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:54 PM »
OK I sent her an e-mail. I'll post the recipe as soon as she sends it back to me and I do any translating of units into us customary units and whatever else in it needs translating. Hopefully she gets it from my mom, she'll write the ingredients in English at least :)

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:57 PM »
boil for 8 mins dip in butter garlic delicious ;D
(PATHFINDER)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:39 PM »
I see Robbi said sugar water. Try Boiling them in 7up as well.

Offline ARMY1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:06 PM »
I just caught some for the first time recently, we boiled them in salt water and ate them with lemon butter..They were very good, in fact my wife is disappointed that I have not brought some more home!

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Boil them in sprite-don't know why, but it works better than 7up. Use a fairly deep pan, cause it will foam up, and then settle down. The ling will cook quickly and start to flake. Have butter dishes ready for each person, and dip the ling directly from the pan into the butter, and enjoy all to heck!!

Offline beaverdam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:24 AM »
You can also boil them in a half and half mixture of white vinegar and water, have the lemon and butter ready and eat it straight out of the pot... I prefer this because I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
A jerk on one end of the rod waitin for a jerk on the other end...why would she say that?!

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:07 PM »
put the pieces in a zip lock bag with butter garlic powder salt pepper lemon juice stick the bag into boiling water  when the meat flakes its done  eat right out of bag or dip in butter works on perch walleye pike
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

iceandwiskey

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:07 AM »
Well I have great results with a number of ways.  Ling is a very mild, firm fish that responds well to a lot off cooking methods.  I have a Panko crusted pan fried ling, with a wine reduction sauce that is great!!  I have had great reviews on it and, it is my wife's favorite.  I don't have time to type that receipt right now but here is a great receipt for steaming it. Just take a steaming pot, quarter a lemon and a onion throw them in the pot with a couple of dark beers.  Steam the fish until it becomes flaky and then my friend, you have drunk-in ling!!  This also works well on Lobster!!!  Serve with some clarified butter and your good to go.  To make the butter all you have to do is take a couple of sticks of unsalted butter put it in a sauce pan on the stove under med heat, let it simmer until everything that is not pure butter is gone.  You will know what I am talking about because it gets clear and there will be no more bubbles in it.  If it starts to turn brown or is sticking to the bottom of the pan the temp. is too hot. 
Give this a try you will not be disappointed.  Good luck and if anybody is interested in the pan fried Ling let me know and I'll get it on here.

Offline fishinfool73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:37 PM »
yeah I would be interested in the pan fried ling recipe. Thanks
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

iceandwiskey

« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:51 PM »
I will try to post it later tonight.

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:22 AM »
Boil in water till done.  Dip in garlic butter.  Quick, easy, easy to clean up, everybody will like.

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:54 PM »
ooooo   I   Cant  wait   snail mail ;D ;D ;D

Offline fishinfool73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I will try to post it later tonight.

ok thanks
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline cjflorence88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:44 PM »
well the scent of fresh grease is now fading from my kitchen caught a few pout up in the north west MT on a fishing trip last friday sat and sun. fishing was SLOOOOWWWWW but managed to catch a few and a few elephant size perch one must have been 13 in and about 16 in around lol caught them on smelt on tipups lol.

"Ketchup and grease instead of catch and release"
"Hey, ya gotta flag, oh, wait, it went back down."
God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would belie

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:30 PM »
i c and I went to Canyon Ferry last nite, we each came home with three ling. I'm boilin water right now so the wife and I can pretend we're at a cheap Red Lobster! :lol:

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:11 PM »
i c and I went to Canyon Ferry last nite, we each came home with three ling. I'm boilin water right now so the wife and I can pretend we're at a cheap Red Lobster! :lol:

Pyro
Awesome dude!  I just acquired a new Hummingbird Fishin Buddy and I think CF will be the place to take it for a test run.  I'm thinking Perch in the afternoon and ling in the evening.  Were you below the dam for the ling or on the main body of the lake?

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Pyro

Did you take pics again in case someone decides to call FWP on ya again?  How big were the ones you caught?
  BE THERE!

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Awesome dude!  I just acquired a new Hummingbird Fishin Buddy and I think CF will be the place to take it for a test run.  I'm thinking Perch in the afternoon and ling in the evening.  Were you below the dam for the ling or on the main body of the lake?

We were fishin just below the dam. Good luck!

Pyro

Did you take pics again in case someone decides to call FWP on ya again?  How big were the ones you caught?

HAHAHAHAHA, that's quality right there!!!!  We did!

They were 15" - 20" and my biggest was a little over 2.5 lbs.

i c's first one of the nite.

My first one of the nite.

Pyro

Those were the days.

Those were the days

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:49 PM »
how did you like the recipe? what did the wife think?

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:37 PM »
I just boiled the fillets in salt water like normal. I made my normal butter sauce, and it came out perfectly. Mrs. PyroZuki on the other hand, doesn't like it. She doesn't like lobster, cod, or any other white (fish) meat. For an unknown reason, I broke out in a gnarly case of the hives as soon as I finished eatin. I've never had hives in my life, except right after eatin the fish. I'm goin to eat the rest tomorrow at work for lunch, so we'll see if it happens gain... :p

Pyro
Those were the days.

Those were the days

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:12 AM »

do i dare ask where???? seems like they have been few and far between lately through the ice or were you on open water

Pyro

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:17 AM »
sorry  missed the second page of the thread

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:33 AM »
I just boiled the fillets in salt water like normal. I made my normal butter sauce, and it came out perfectly. Mrs. PyroZuki on the other hand, doesn't like it. She doesn't like lobster, cod, or any other white (fish) meat. For an unknown reason, I broke out in a gnarly case of the hives as soon as I finished eatin. I've never had hives in my life, except right after eatin the fish. I'm goin to eat the rest tomorrow at work for lunch, so we'll see if it happens gain... :p

Pyro

Allergies are usually caused by proteins, but it could have been from any sort of spice. Narrow it down and try to avoid it.
 I found out over the years that beans gave me the hives 3 different times. They didn't all the time I ate them, but I feel sick for a few hours after I eat them, so I have removed them from my diet, which sucks because I love beans  :'(

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:14 AM »
My son is allergic to red shellfish (shrimp, crawdads, etc). It can be extremely dangerous. One time you just get hives, the next time your throat swells up and you die.

The ling I've caught have had a lot of crayfish in them so maybe somehow you got into them. I didn't know you could be allergic to fish, but I guess you can: http://foodallergies.about.com/od/seafoodallergies/p/fishallergy.htm. Man that would suck to not be able to eat fish.

You can also get tested so it might be worth a trip to a clinic -- cheaper than a trip to the ER.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:37 PM »
good advice robg , i dont know anything about allergies but better safe than sorry.. and mine were also packed with crawdads.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.