The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: pike in canyon ferry MT?  (Read 6481 times)

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
pike in canyon ferry MT?
« on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:55 AM »
I have seen pictures floating around of pike in canyon ferry. Does any body out their know how fishing through the ice is for pike ?

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: pike in canyon ferry MT?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 11:43 AM »
I haven't fished for pike in a situation where I wasn't able to use live bait.  But I know on Lake Frances people use smelt or other preserved bait fish and hook them through the back like you normally would and then from there run a line and treble hook and put one of the hooks into the flesh near the tail with the other hooks exposed.  I'd set up this rig just as you would for walleye a foot off of the bottom.  Basically it's like fishing for walleye, except bigger.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2009, 03:31 PM »
is spearing legal on canyon ferry????

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Negative on the spearing.  At least for game fish.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Negative on the spearing.  At least for game fish.
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo >:( >:(

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Yes, it's a sad day.  Makes me wish I was out of trout country and back to the ol eastern district.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2009, 05:58 PM »
I read in the regs that some areas in the western part are open to spearing correct me if i am wrong but i am pretty sure

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2009, 02:23 PM »
I read in the regs that some areas in the western part are open to spearing correct me if i am wrong but i am pretty sure
Yes there are a few lakes over here that are open to Spearing Pike....Lower Stillwater is one

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Where are they catching the pike at on CF? and does anyone know how they got in there?

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:45 PM »
well the missouri river system is full of northerns so they must just work their way in. I talked to a guy fishing the gallatin this spring that landed 2 in there close to belgrade

TIGHT LINES

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:56 PM »
well the missouri river system is full of northerns so they must just work their way in. I talked to a guy fishing the gallatin this spring that landed 2 in there close to belgrade
FWIW, all of the pike west of the divide in MT are the result of illegal introductions. Same with those in the upper Missouri River (east of the divide of course). The Canyon Ferry pike are relatively recent, and they could not have worked there way in from below the dam. I will not be happy if they start wacking the trout in the Lower Madison.

rg

Offline haffshak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:38 PM »
My son caught a six pound pike up the East Gallatin up by Swamp road this summer while fly fishing for trout. It was fun to catch, but oohhh, this could get ugly for the trout.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Actually a fella in Manhatten Mt. had a few ponds or private ponds that he stocked Pike in and when it flooded in the early 80's the pike got washed out of the ponds. So they washed down the river and NO there are not alot of Pike in Canyon Ferry. In the upper river systems or headwaters of the mighty mo you may find some, a few in Canyon Ferry yes, but slow fishing. Lucky to catch one, in a year or two. I've read they are mostly taken in the Jefferson river drainage some netted over 15 pounds by FWP, which I assumed they whacked on the head and threw on the bank. If I had it my way I'd put Pike in Canyon Ferry and a food source for them and the Walleye to feast on, like some cisco or maybe even some more Trout, or speckled carp.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Hardwateraddicton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:12 AM »
FWIW, all of the pike west of the divide in MT are the result of illegal introductions. Same with those in the upper Missouri River (east of the divide of course). The Canyon Ferry pike are relatively recent, and they could not have worked there way in from below the dam. I will not be happy if they start wacking the trout in the Lower Madison.

rg

Not trying to rattle anyone up here but... In the big sceme of things Canyon Ferry is relativly new at 55 years old and my grandpa (MT native of 91yrs) recalls catching plenty of Northerns in the oxbow sloughs of the Missouri below Townsend before the dam was in and after in the lake as well. I might think they (pike) have been here a lot longer than we think "illegaly introduced" or not.

Actually a fella in Manhatten Mt. had a few ponds or private ponds that he stocked Pike in and when it flooded in the early 80's the pike got washed out of the ponds. So they washed down the river...

My wife and I actually got the chance to fish on VanDykes ponds a few years ago and slayed the northern and some "HOG" rainbows just a few weeks before the FWP poisoned the whole thing...  >:(  totally agree with DaJigger on pike in C.F. 
Jig... Jig... Thump!!

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:29 PM »
My son caught a six pound pike up the East Gallatin up by Swamp road this summer while fly fishing for trout. It was fun to catch, but oohhh, this could get ugly for the trout.

I live a mile from the bridge and have fished it since I could pedal a bike and hold a rod(approx 30 yrs now) and had never seen or heard of pike there-you could have knocked me over with a feather when I drug one in last summer! The trout fishing has declined in recent years, and I'm sure now it's not going to get any better.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:16 PM »
I think you all will be surprised how much the trout fishing is really affected by the pike. It will take a bit of time but the area will stabilise and trout will coexist with the Pike just fine. Dont get me wrong I am not condoning illegal introduction at all. Just my experience from the seeley swan valley which now has pike just about everywhere.

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:09 PM »
THE BIRDS are to blame!!!
(PATHFINDER)

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:18 PM »
I've heard that there's starting to be some monsters right above Toston dam. Ditto for me on the Seeley/Clearwater pike, and not thinking it'd be a good thing to really get them going. I've heard from people who caught pike in CF and they've all been small.

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Oh yeah, and spearing is legal in the Clearwater drainage lakes.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:10 PM »
Had a friend catch a #7 this weekend on the north end of the lake.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:50 PM »
?
Live Free Or Die.

Offline chumley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:44 AM »
Wow.  A 7 pound northern pike caught on the north end of Canyon Ferry through the ice???

Wow.  I could see catching them at the south end near the dike, but would have never have thought of the north end.

Like, around Chinaman's?

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:39 PM »
He didn't say were just on the north end of the lake. Caught it on a tip up with smelt.

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:21 AM »
just recently heard of a guy that caught a 10 pound pike just below toston dam on a big spinner of some sort.  take a look at that 22 pounder picture on the conoco in towsend... nice. TG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.