Author Topic: "COLD WEATHER LINE"  (Read 2141 times)

Offline little fish

• IceShanty Rookie
"COLD WEATHER LINE"
« on: Jun 17, 2008, 06:58 AM »
Hi,
    I just purchased the 2 LB Crystal Micro Ice by Fieline, anybody tried this line before?
 I hope, I made the right decision. ??? ??? ???
  Thx,
        Bert.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "COLD WEATHER LINE"
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2008, 01:38 AM »
Hey Bert,
Just thought I'd mention a few things about fused superlines like fireline.
First, they do hold water and will freeze on the reel.  Not to the point of being unusable, but a bit of a hassle to pull line off the real, especially if slip bobbering.
Second,  though it may be superthin, it will be much more visable to fish when compared to flouro or even mono.  But you can always use a flouro leader.
Third, it will also readiliy freeze to snow and ice on the holes edge when handlined making for more awkward line piles.
Fourth, special superline knots have to be tied because of inherrent slickness.

But it does have it's positives.  An excellent line in the warm shanty.  No stretch means incredible sensitivity and lock solid hook sets. No twists or coils to mess with lure action. It will break your gear and cut your hands before it breaks off midline.( caution on this point) Makes excellent thread to sew canvas and leather.

I have it on a couple rigs that I use in the shanty or in above freezing temps and like it for that and I've also used it for backing behind my nylon braid on a few tip-ups I have spooled up for longer distance rigs.  Though probably not a smart idea to barehand fireline with a monster on the end.  We'll see..
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

germanshorthair

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Hi,
    I just purchased the 2 LB Crystal Micro Ice by Fieline, anybody tried this line before?
 I hope, I made the right decision. ??? ??? ???
  Thx,
        Bert.
I took mine off after too many break-offs buy 4lb instead.. fireline is a fusion line strong but unlike ice braids it freezes on the spool.. I love the stuff spin casting but minimum is 4lb.test.. in any case use fluro mono leader tippet for all superline hard or open water. try  using 4lb tippet  if you want to try 4lb,fireline .. the 2lb is too light a fusion and easily cuts and snaps  off hard snow /ice.. go with ice mono if you feel like lower lb. leaders in the 2 to 4 lb test for your pan fishing.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:33 PM »
I wouldn't bother with it, like they said above its a pain when it freezes on the reel.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008, 10:28 PM »
I used it last year and thought it was the greatest stuff ever EXCEPT when it was in teens or below the water dropplet beaded up on the line froze...
That said under not so cold conditions I loved it so much at the end of last season I bought spools of all tests..I have a lifetime supply.
For jigging perch and 12" trout stuff is awesome...for bigger fish I would move up the 2 lb on an utralight jig stick on a decent temp day awesome.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:33 AM »
i use 6 lb fireline and love the stuff it is strong enough to pull anything out of the hole as long as I dont horse it in.............I used 8lb last year and wanted to go smaller for more sensitivity and well I haven't had any problems with it at all.........the one thing that I don't like about it is if you are outside and it is cold the line does freeze up on your reel but not enough that you can't use it.....other than that it is so far the best line that I have found for ice fishing ;D :tipup:

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:57 AM »
I have to agree with ILuvCrappie!

I have both setups, and when it is cold enough that the fireline freezes to the reel my mono does too....

You'll just have to try it and see how YOU like it...  this is really a personal preference thing...

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:58 AM »
i do alot of deep jigging for whitefish and lakers so spiderwire is the ticket! small dia. is awesome because you dont need a bigger reel to handle the extra line and its real sensitive for deep water fishing. yeah it does freeze occassionally but only a minor inconvenience in my opinion. i use mono for shallow water applications.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2008, 02:19 PM »
I have tried several firelines in both hard and softwater and have come to the conclusion that I hate Fireline and will never buy the stuff again. ITs not round, gets twisty and kinky quickly and doesn't handle well at all in the cold and digs into the reel badly. I've tried 40lb down to 4lb and get the same results. I prefer mono. Some of the best mono of come across in P-Line fluroclear....cheap, strong and crystal clear.

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Interesting and I agree with all of the above... I came back to 30lb mono for my chunking reels for striper...and I get less frozen beads on mono but the thin diameter sensitivity strength and lack of stretch make briad my go to for jigging.what i have done on all my spinning reels is back them with braid...its a one time deal stuff never goes bad..then top shot with whatever i like...but on perch and panfish the fireline ice is sweet...heck if you want to change up tie a slim beauty or uni to uni and put a mono or floro top shot..ive got 50 yards mono top shot on some reels then i cange out 50 instead of 250 when line gets beat up and coily
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:13 PM »
I use it on my traps as leader line. Does the trick rather well. It is difficult to tie a good knot in it though. I usually tie them at home before I go out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.