Author Topic: Snowshoes in deep snow?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Snowshoes in deep snow?
« on: Jan 08, 2022, 11:54 AM »
Does anybody use snowshoes when there is a lot of snow on the ice?  There have been several times slogging out through knee deep snow and it got me wondering if the snow shoes work well and if so why I have never seen anybody wearing them for fishing.

The ones I have seen online look to have pretty aggressive spikes under the ball of the foot.  Do they just build up slush/ice to the point that they are heavy as hell or just get in the way while you are fishing?  Pain in the rear to get on and off?
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowshoes in deep snow?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2022, 12:21 PM »
My dad almost drowned than almost froze to death falling through ice while trapping beaver with them on.
Catching Any?

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2022, 12:29 PM »
We use them & they work great . Easy to take on / off . We remove them when we get to our spot & when fishing inside . If it’s real messy , slushy I don’t fish usally

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2022, 01:11 PM »
I use them often- we get lots of snow. I use the MSR EVO, which are made for traction on hills, and sound like what you are referencing. What I like best is the strap system- never ices up and easy on/off. In slush is when they are most important- if you can keep on top, you are fine, but punch through into the glop and it is a mess. Sometimes I fish all day in them. They also have removable tails if the snow is really light, and you can remove them of not needed for a shorter, handier shoe.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2022, 03:05 PM »
Using snowshoes is like anything else, it takes a bit of getting used to.  Properly fitted for your weight with the correct stride they make it much easier to get around.  I would probably not go with trail shoes but more of the bear paw design for ice fishing.  In case you don't know the difference, bear paw shoes don't have a tail and are more of less oval in design.  Trail shoes have a tail and are better for going straight ahead but less maneuverable turning and moving short distances.   Bindings have come a long way since the old days and are easier to get off in an emergency than the ones made of hide that laced/buckled up.  I learned to use snowshoes in cold weather training in the Army a long time ago so got used to carrying a pack as well as myself.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2022, 04:44 PM »
I think I am definitely going to try it when conditions warrant.  Worst case scenario just take 'em off and pop them into the sled!  so long as the bindings will accept my ice boots seems like a solid option. 

Thanks for the feedback.  When I get it all sorted I shall report back!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2022, 09:54 AM »
Using snowshoes is like anything else, it takes a bit of getting used to.  Properly fitted for your weight with the correct stride they make it much easier to get around.  I would probably not go with trail shoes but more of the bear paw design for ice fishing.  In case you don't know the difference, bear paw shoes don't have a tail and are more of less oval in design.  Trail shoes have a tail and are better for going straight ahead but less maneuverable turning and moving short distances.   Bindings have come a long way since the old days and are easier to get off in an emergency than the ones made of hide that laced/buckled up.  I learned to use snowshoes in cold weather training in the Army a long time ago so got used to carrying a pack as well as myself.

You are showing your age Jack! I don't think they have made something called a bear paw since they made them out of ash and webbed them with rawhide. What we used to call a trail snowshoe has been replaced by "approach skis" wide, short skis that are used for climbing and mountaineering with skins, and most standard snowshoes these days are short enough to fish in. Not many people today are bowlegged enough to go very far in a pair of the old bear paws!

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2022, 11:30 AM »
When picking a snowshoe don't follow the manufacturer's weight chart, they always recommend too small of a shoe. I can't for the life of me figure out why. They are losing money as larger shoes cost more and disappointing new customers with poor floatation. Being a lifelong UP of Michigan snowshoe hare hunter has given me thousands of miles of snowshoeing experience. I started with 8"x30" Havlick aluminum/synthetic decked snowshoes in the mid '80's. They were rated for up to 250#. I weighed 140# at the time of purchase (13 years old) and they worked great. They continued to work very well until I got to about 180#. At this weight their performance was borderline poor. I then went to a pair of Tubbs Pinnacle 9"x36". These work very well.

One thing to think about is what kind of sled you are pulling behind you when wearing snowshoes. The narrow Pelican type of sled don't work well when pulled behind in snowshoe tracks. They tip over when they fall into your tracks. A Smitty or a sled with a wider base will make your life way easier.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:23 PM »
You are showing your age Jack! I don't think they have made something called a bear paw since they made them out of ash and webbed them with rawhide. What we used to call a trail snowshoe has been replaced by "approach skis" wide, short skis that are used for climbing and mountaineering with skins, and most standard snowshoes these days are short enough to fish in. Not many people today are bowlegged enough to go very far in a pair of the old bear paws!

Times do change but don't exactly count out older designs.  Seems they still do make them around here at least.  Check out the link if you want to.

http://www.mgsnowshoes.com/index.html

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:53 PM »
Damn...Snowshoe biathalon!   Those shoe's are works of art, thanks for sharing!

Times do change but don't exactly count out older designs.  Seems they still do make them around here at least.  Check out the link if you want to.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:54 PM »

I stand corrected! Out west we have not seen shoes like that except on the wall of a bar in 30 years! They are still nicer looking than the new ones!

:tipup:

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:13 PM »
Damn...Snowshoe biathalon!   Those shoe's are works of art, thanks for sharing!

There is a lot of stuff like that around here.  We don't have a tree shortage, lots of craftsman hand making things and I live on a 7-mile-long lake that is 20 minutes from a city so can ice fish from the living room.  If I get bored with the lake out back, I have about 15 more water bodies to choose from within an hours drive.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:16 PM »
I stand corrected! Out west we have not seen shoes like that except on the wall of a bar in 30 years! They are still nicer looking than the new ones!

:tipup:

We do tend to be more traditional around here, I guess.  Room for both.  If you liked the last link check out this one

https://www.packbasketsofmaine.com/

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:39 PM »
Check out www.bwca.com. It is the Boundary Waters website. Some great threads on snowshoes.  You can even build your own. Good luck.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:50 PM »
i use mine more and more recently. for deep snow they're ideal, but for slush i consider them essential. not only do they keep me high and dry, but they also pack down the area i'm fishing in so that eventually i can take them off, or pack down a spot big enough for my shelter if i'm not hole-hopping.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:05 PM »
Get yourself a pair with good bindings. The newer ones have better bindings than the trads. Here is the pair that I have. I use these mostly for exploring the woods in our area for recreation with my wife(Nothing like the silence of the forest in winter)  https://www.altitude-sports.com/products/tubbs-wayfinder-30-snowshoes-mens-llll-tub-x200100401300?gclid=CjwKCAiArOqOBhBmEiwAsgeLmWr6NPyE9nDnJ-BjU2J53Kr6RnCtq9VhMaqpykR9VK_FtJ2jrwWNahoCBz0QAvD_BwE
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:25 AM »
Snow shoes work great when the snow is deep with slush under it. You’ll stay on top and as you walk around will make a nice compacted trail to follow.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2022, 07:19 PM »
Iversons are another great pair of snowshoe’s we use. With a pair of Bob Maki bindings https://iversonssnowshoes.com/
Catching Any?

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:07 PM »
Iversons are another great pair of snowshoe’s we use. With a pair of Bob Maki bindings https://iversonssnowshoes.com/
Are those the same snowshoes and bindings you posted above that your dad almost died from?

Iverson snowshoes are great for hanging on the wall, they're pretty. Bob Maki bindings originally came from stolen material from the Empire and Tilden mines in Marquette county. There has been way better options for decades.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:44 AM »
Are those the same snowshoes and bindings you posted above that your dad almost died from?

Iverson snowshoes are great for hanging on the wall, they're pretty. Bob Maki bindings originally came from stolen material from the Empire and Tilden mines in Marquette county. There has been way better options for decades.

Yes, but I’m sure your snowshoes are very easy to swim with or swim for you.
You refer to material stolen from a mine to make Maki bindings? What did he steal a inner tube?
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/northwoods-trading-post-bob-maki-snowshoe-binding?a=496288
Catching Any?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:23 AM »
I own a pair of "traditional" webbed wood framed Iverson Green Mountain's that do quite well in deep snow - never tried them in slush.  Also have a set of Redfeather Sportsman snowshoes with the aluminum frame and vinyl webbing that I would consider my better choice when dealing with crusty/hardpack snow conditions due to the added cleat feature - I've never tried these in slush, either, but I might give that a try this year after reading a few of these previous comments.  Wearing snowshoes on ice covered lakes/streams is something I've always been very leary of due to the added trouble they can cause if a break through were to occur.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:54 AM »
Yes, but I’m sure your snowshoes are very easy to swim with or swim for you.
You refer to material stolen from a mine to make Maki bindings? What did he steal a inner tube?
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/northwoods-trading-post-bob-maki-snowshoe-binding?a=496288

It was gasket material that found it's way from the mines to snowshoes via the lunch pail.

I can remove my snowshoes with one finger. The yellow tab visible on the right hand shoe releases the binding.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2022, 09:07 AM »
Are those the Tubbs Pinnacle? thx
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2022, 09:10 AM »
Are those the Tubbs Pinnacle? thx

YUP!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2022, 12:45 PM »
I have a pair, and bought tails that you can clip on the back for added weight displacement.

First time I used them in 3-4 foot snow I only sank about 1 foot, and was able to drag my sled with relative ease.

Funny part was that after I got on the ice, which was wind-swept clean, a fellow angler walked over to ask if I had gotten stuck in the snow.
I showed him the shoes and he laughed and said "That's why I kept sinking knee deep, I thought your footprints were on solid ground".
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.