Author Topic: Nero cut through boot  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
Nero cut through boot
« on: Dec 21, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Cant believe iwhat happened. I had my drill on setting 2 and it jumped off the ice and caught my muck boots. Sock and cut my foot abit.

Never had this issue with a gas auger, but first time using drill setup.

Anyone else using the nero? After i got the settings right, it looks like k drill looks more stable when first starting to drill.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Nero cut through boot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2019, 06:52 PM »
They are dangerous for sure. You got lucky . just remember that. And run on 1 slow at first.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:01 PM »
They are dangerous for sure. You got lucky . just remember that. And run on 1 slow at first.
Watched my bud with his jumps around at first. He must of had it on 2 setting. Good to know ;D

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:05 PM »
Remember the trigger is variable speed. Don't just yank back on the trigger. Plus in the low gear setting you will have more torque and won't bunt out your drill as fast as using the high speed setting.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:05 PM »
U guys think k drills are safer? Even after being careful i still felt like it was unstable to start at first.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2019, 07:09 PM »
I have an old hand lazer auger that I use with a drill. It does not have a centering point at it seems to work fine. I just start out slow with no downward pressure while drilling and I don't have any problems. It is just a 6" so maybe that size just drills easier and easier to control.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:20 PM »
 Sorry to hear about your incident with the Nero. I always use setting 1 and don't have any walking of the auger blades. I don't apply any pressure and just gradually pull the trigger on the Clam plate. The instant it starts to bite, I increase the drill speed and let her rip.

Offline Db

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 607 373 0942
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:35 PM »
I have a pistol bit and I have no issues with jumping around but I also run on 1 I look at it like this.     I could be drilling holes with a hand auger or slow down and let machine do the work I choose the drill lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2019, 09:35 PM »
yikes! speed 2 got ya. you are keeping both hands on the drill and not using the nero handle, right! did it happen while trying to start the hole or after it was started? guessing it was starting one.

try keeping your hands and drill closer to your person so you have more control. resting one hand against you helps too.
speed 1 always.
never had jumping with the three strike master lazers i use from 4" to 8" ever.

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2019, 11:26 PM »
I bought the clam plate and was using that with both hands. It happened when first starting to get an initial start.

Ya im just going to have to slow down on the intial and make sure its steady and stable

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2019, 12:21 AM »
Yeeps. You were on the good side of luck.

It made me think about what I would/could do if something similar (*or worse*) happened to me or a companion. Do you know where the closest trauma center is if something goes wrong?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2019, 01:25 AM »
NEVER use speed 2! Especially when starting a hole. Your not the only one that has gotten cuts from drill powered augers, not just the Nero or the pistol. We’ve been taking about these for years and the fact that you have to respect these things. We all know hand augers have stupid sharp blades, we now put a light powered motor on it. They are now power tools with big blades! Just because it feel like a like toy in comparison to a Gas powered, doesn’t mean it doesn’t mean business. The very first time I held an M16, I felt like I was holding a red Ryder from Walmart!
From their reputation, the Nero is about as fast and aggressive as it gets when it comes to drilling, take it easy. keep a wide stance, and the blades straight to the ice, and start the drill slowly till you get the hang of it. Once it starts to bite, then add more power, but don’t push down at all, it’ll start pulling down by itself. The drill should always be in slow setting and in drill mode, not hammer.

If you were to be so inclined to use speed 2 however, make sure you’ve got at least 3 inches or so into the ice first as a guide hole. Then be prepared to be pulled down to the ice on your face, or be flung to the side like a rag doll lol. But that’s a quick way to ruin a set of blades.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2019, 05:23 AM »
Been using the Nero for 2 years third year now and the only time I cut my boot is when I laid the auger down and walked past it too close. Shoe Glue fixed the boot.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:13 AM »
To answer your question, yes K drill is safer . Centering pin will prevent it from moving , even when overlapping holes to create any size hole you want

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:39 AM »
To answer your question, yes K drill is safer . Centering pin will prevent it from moving , even when overlapping holes to create any size hole you want

I have both a K-drill and a converted hand laser bit.  The center point is a key safety feature.  Yes the others will work, but anything with a center point,  should be less likely to walk around.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Me and a few of my buds have drilled 100s of holes with my drill,clam plate and 8” mora but then there was one guy that didn’t know how to operate the auger and cut both his boots.learn your auger,and never use speed 2.accidents will happen.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Me and a few of my buds have drilled 100s of holes with my drill,clam plate and 8” mora.

Im using a mora on mine as well. Going into my 5th season with about 4000 holes drilled, no issues at all.

Sounds like a severe case of user error to me.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2019, 09:19 AM »
You sure don't want to turn a Nero loose at high speed. It'll slice, dice, and julienne whatever it meets. Brace yourself and feather it until it bites the ice before you give it the juice.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Got the nero last year and love it, got a Milwaukee 2804-20 this year for it cant wait to try it out! Thanks to this post i have a few good tips thanks guys
yikes! speed 2 got ya. you are keeping both hands on the drill and not using the nero handle, right! did it happen while trying to start the hole or after it was started? guessing it was starting one.

try keeping your hands and drill closer to your person so you have more control. resting one hand against you helps too.
speed 1 always.
never had jumping with the three strike master lazers i use from 4" to 8" ever.
so you dont use the handle on the nero to hold it? If both hands are on the drill you may lose it down the hole if it comes loose unless you have something for that
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Got the nero last year and love it, got a Milwaukee 2804-20 this year for it cant wait to try it out! Thanks to this post i have a few good tips thanks guysso you dont use the handle on the nero to hold it? If both hands are on the drill you may lose it down the hole if it comes loose unless you have something for that
Here is one such item to keep the auger from going down the hole. There are a lot of options. https://www.ebay.com/c/1936945066?iid=362778107680
<===Lefty===

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Well thanks for this! Now I am too scared to even use my Nero I bought at the end of last season!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2019, 10:42 AM »
$25? Why wouldn’t a Frisbee work as well?  Just a thought.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2019, 11:47 AM »
$25? Why wouldn’t a Frisbee work as well?  Just a thought.
Because with a frisbee you might get bored if you aren’t catching fish, take it off and start throwing it and then forget to put it back on when you need to drill another hole! ;D
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Yeah it does not have a center point so you do need to watch yourself and your drill settings.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2019, 01:49 PM »
My HT E-Drill has a center point and a ring ..very nice and helpful ..I tried a Mora w/o a center point seemed pretty dangerous on glare ice ..maybe on a Clam Plate it wouldn't be a problem . When you go from a electric /gas/propane auger with a center point auger drill unit to an handheld cordless drill with a auger drill unit w/o a center point its a learning curve especially on glare ice .  With a center point I believe you can be faster and more efficient ..add the Clam Plate even more so..no starting out slow till it bites
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.