Author Topic: Best fishing knot - from your line to the hook  (Read 3289 times)

Offline King Fisher22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best fishing knot - from your line to the hook
« on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Some use the clinch knot but there are alot of others that prefer something else.  What do you use?
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAG!  Or should I say.... BELL!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Best fishing knot - from your line to the hook
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:27 PM »
90% time Trilene knot..followed by Palomar.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:34 PM »
I have used a improved clinch and a Palomar knot for years.  This year I have had nothing but problems with the improved clinch coming untied after awhile. I fish manily with 2# line and i have tried 3 different brands of line too.  So now I am going to stick with a Palomar knot. I think it has to do with the small dia. line.

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:35 PM »
UNIKNOT   you will be able to tie it in the dark, with your eyes closed and gloves on. At least I can and it is a 100% not. I use it in everything form 6lb to 250lb. Fastest strongest knot available. Once you learn it you'll never go back.
http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/index.php
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2011, 01:40 PM »
I use the improved clinch for mono and palomar for super lines .  If you wet your mono when pulling tight , youll have less issues .  Also pull tag end to tighten , not main line.
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:06 PM »
if you are having problems with the improved clinch coming untied it's because your not wrapping the tag end around the main line enough times.  the thinner the line the more wraps you need.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I usualy wrap it 5 or 6 time around the main line and I do wet the line too. I have never had a problem with it with heavier mono. I think it is like i said it is the dia. of the line. I dont know what i am doing wrong but it is not fun losing $3 fiskas all the time.

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:29 PM »
trilene or palomar

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:33 PM »
  How short are you trimming tag end .  I leave mine 1/8-1/4" long
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I would say an 1/8".

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:54 PM »
Knot slippage = bad mechanics and can be prevented by a dollop of super glue or clear fingernail polish. But I'm sure you knew that.

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live In A Van Down By The River..........
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2011, 03:29 PM »
There is no 100% knot...  Every fishing line company has tested many many knots.  They soak the fishing line in lake water for hours, tie a specific knot and hook it up to a calibration machine and start pulling.  They then count how many times the knot slips open where the hook comes free or the fishing line breaks.  The very best knots hold strong and make the fishing line break before the knot slips open.  You can Google a ton of info--but Field & Stream has some good info which says you should be using "San Diego Jam Knot" and "Palomar Knot".  Both are easy to use and did best in all the tests I have seen.  But even these knots aren't 100%.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots

A dry line will never catch a fish.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:26 PM »
I usualy wrap it 5 or 6 time around the main line and I do wet the line too. I have never had a problem with it with heavier mono. I think it is like i said it is the dia. of the line. I dont know what i am doing wrong but it is not fun losing $3 fiskas all the time.

For the improved clinch to work well on 2 lb. you should wrap a minimum of 7, 8 or 9 won't hurt.

I decrease the number of wraps as the # test goes up, 6 or 7 for 4- 15, 5 or 6 for 17 -30, 4 or 5 for 40- 80, and everything over 80 just gets 3. I do some deep sea fishing and I'm tying when other people are crimping.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:29 PM »
I use the palomar for all fishing, open or hard water.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Thanks guys for the info really enjoy hearing the feed back. It doesn't happen every time I tie one just once in a while.

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:16 PM »
UNIKNOT   you will be able to tie it in the dark, with your eyes closed and gloves on. At least I can and it is a 100% not. I use it in everything form 6lb to 250lb. Fastest strongest knot available. Once you learn it you'll never go back.

I added that site to favorites after someone was kind enough to post it on one of my questions
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline huletts1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Palomar
He'll be back

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:27 PM »
90% time Trilene knot..followed by Palomar.
x2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2011, 06:26 PM »

Have to disagree with your statement of 100% and you can tie it in the dark, or maybe it's me,  but I can't . I have been using what they call the Palomar knot for over 50yrs and its the best knot so far. The knot should never break.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Palomar knot most of the time for ice fishing, but I use the Bimini Twist in a lot of places and it is stronger than 100%.
Allan

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:10 PM »
I use a palomar knot almost exclusively!  Never lost a fish to a bad knot either!
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:25 PM »
TOP 3 NOTS:  PALOMAR, SAN DIEGO JAM KNOT, JANSIK KNOT!!!

HOPE YOU ARE ALL CATCHING SOME NICE FISH.  I FINALLY GET SOME TIME OUT ON THE ICE NEXT WEEKEND!!

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I use the palomar for all fishing, open or hard water.
x2 Great knot, easy to tie and the one you need for the power lines. Works on any line, mono or power.
Only time I don't tie the palomar is when I am using a Rat Finke.
KeepfishN4fun

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Have to disagree with your statement of 100% and you can tie it in the dark, or maybe it's me,  but I can't . I have been using what they call the Palomar knot for over 50yrs and its the best knot so far. The knot should never break.
  OK it's a 95% knot. I can tie it behind my back and i will start with hook and line separated and be done before you a half way done with the Palomar.   Have you ever tried a Uni Knot aka Duncans Loop ??
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline Slipperys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:22 PM »
  OK it's a 95% knot. I can tie it behind my back and i will start with hook and line separated and be done before you a half way done with the Palomar.   Have you ever tried a Uni Knot aka Duncans Loop ??

Everyone gets comfortable with a knot and usually sticks with it... I think they were just saying that the uni isn't as strong as some others...no offense and obviously works great for you.  I have always been interested in knots, their applications and strength.  I hope you all catch a ton of fish next time you get out--I can't get out until Friday afternoon!!!

http://www.marinews.com/Uni-Knot-361.php

Uni Knot
The Uni knot is well known throughout the world but unfortunately by many different names. The Uni knot is indeed a very good hitch knot making a very reliable line to terminal knot which is easy to master. However, because of the structure of the loop, developed during its formation, it actually gives away about a 5 percent line strength advantage to similar knots such as the Lindeman and Centauri knots. The Uni Knot retains approximately 75 to 80 percent line strength and is usable in most line classes from light to heavy. The Uni knot is not recommended for super-line work, even with extra line wraps. Wraps on this knot should be around the 3 to 5 with 5 for the really heavier line and 3 for the lighter.

Applications for Fishing

Line Classes: Light to Heavy
Line types: Monofilaments.
Retained Breaking Strength: 75% to 80%
Application: Attaching terminal tackle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.