Author Topic: Anybody else feel like me?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody else feel like me?
« on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:02 PM »
I always hear people saying that the main reason they go fishing is just to go be relaxed and if they catch a fish it's a bonus.  is there anyone else out there that does not feel the same way?  I go fishing because i want to catch fish, yes it can be relaxing, but i take fishing pretty serious.  I am currently unemployed, so i am not bringing in any money right now. If i make a 2 hour round trip to go fishing and I don't catch fish, I look back and say, "wow, i just wasted all that money on gas, and i'm not bringing home anything to show for it."  don't get me wrong, i love fishing, but i love catching too.  anyone else out there like me?

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anybody else feel like me?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:10 PM »
i dont have a choice my wife starts heating up the oil when i walk out the door I BETTER BRING HOME FISH

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Yup.... I go to catch... If I dont I get stressed.... ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Night Eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:23 PM »
I feel the same way. I'm also unemployed and had to get through the season without buying any new toys, everything held up OK and i caught fish, but using old line sucks. now i have to put the rods down and find a job before i loose my house, or worse, my boat.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:32 PM »
yah i feel the same way, even if i dont bring anything home as long as i catch fish, i mean every now and then i just go to relax, but you cant really relax while you are hauling gear and getting set up, so i need a fish to make it more worth going...i too was unemployed for part of the season, and i fished alot and caught alot, but when i got skunked towards late season i was upset, and the worst times to not catch alot is when you invite someone who drives hours to fish with you and you hardly catch much... so yah i agree with you, i am a sportsman/catcher
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline lil maggot

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • What better is there to do in the winter?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:42 PM »
yeah i'm like that too.i go to catch fish not like my dad he says just go for fun.
:icefish:  :icefish:   :icefish:  :icefish:   :icefish: :icefish:

Ice fishing line of fire ENGAGE!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Yup...I feel the same way. Forced to go on disability this fall, now I have to depend on my buddies to help haul the gear. Always was really intense when it came to fishing, now if I don't catch anything I get quite po'd. Seems like there's more to worry about now. In fact, this was the worst year I've ever had. Put all the stuff away last week.  >:(
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Right there with ya', but from the other side.  I work between 50-60 hrs. a week and fishin' time is catchin' time.  Bad days p me off.  On the bright side wifey goes most of the time, she makes the bad days much better;-)
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2010, 02:06 PM »
I used to go fishing to relax...Being jobless now, I go fishing to put meat on my table.  So I work very hard at catching fish, now.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2010, 03:19 PM »
I always hear people saying that the main reason they go fishing is just to go be relaxed and if they catch a fish it's a bonus.  is there anyone else out there that does not feel the same way?  I go fishing because i want to catch fish, yes it can be relaxing, but i take fishing pretty serious.  I am currently unemployed, so i am not bringing in any money right now. If i make a 2 hour round trip to go fishing and I don't catch fish, I look back and say, "wow, i just wasted all that money on gas, and i'm not bringing home anything to show for it."  don't get me wrong, i love fishing, but i love catching too.  anyone else out there like me?
i too take my fishing very serious, i used to mostly fish for trophy's and just for the fun of it,i'm not unemployed but i still like putting meat in the freezer,it does help quite a bit on the food bill,and as much as our licenses cost its crazy to not bring home fish, like you said its a waste of gas $ and bait etc.

Offline Perchjerker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2010, 04:09 PM »
I too work many hours and need some down time, but I don't go fishing to relax !!! If I am relaxing, I park myself in a lounge chair in a boat or at lake or river edge and day dream or take nap.  I fish for the challenge of the catch and forgive me please, "the love of eating" freshwater fish. I have always been serious about having a productive fishing trip and enjoying the harvest. Good Fishin y'all...

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2010, 07:05 PM »
Being outdoors enjoying nature is always great.  Getting skunked always sucks.  I love catching fish for the table but even if I don't get any keepers I'm always disappointed if I don't catch something..

Offline Surefishalot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2010, 09:22 PM »
I always hear people saying that the main reason they go fishing is just to go be relaxed and if they catch a fish it's a bonus.  is there anyone else out there that does not feel the same way?  I go fishing because i want to catch fish, yes it can be relaxing, but i take fishing pretty serious.  I am currently unemployed, so i am not bringing in any money right now. If i make a 2 hour round trip to go fishing and I don't catch fish, I look back and say, "wow, i just wasted all that money on gas, and I'm not bringing home anything to show for it."  don't get me wrong, i love fishing, but i love catching too.  anyone else out there like me?
I'm not busting your chops, I think we all go with expectations of catching fish. But were also looking for some relaxation . If your fishing thinking it's just to put food on the table your kidding your self. You'd be better off just taking the money you would have spent on bait, gas,etc..... and just go by food.Fishing is not a guarantee of putting food on the table.Good Luck to You in fishing and finding a job.
saltwater-freshwater what ever floats your boat!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:23 AM »
I guess when young you just want to catch a fish. And then numbers become important, for one reason or another. Later many, that trophy fish or maybe a specific species becomes an achievement. Then as you get older fishing is a lot more than just catching a fish, numbers, a trophy or an achievement...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:40 AM »
Sorry for me it is not so competitive.  I enjoy being in the outdoors.  It's simplier than my work, simplier than my urban life, than my family life.  It gives me a chance to get a way and recharge my batteries.  Fishing gives me the purpose I need to get out in any season. 
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:37 AM »
i dont have a choice my wife starts heating up the oil when i walk out the door I BETTER BRING HOME FISH
Wow! Girl likes the fish! My wife likes to eat em but doesn't care to catch em.
I will have to work on her before I retire to get her dialed in! ;D
Fish on!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I find it very relaxing to catch fish.  It's also relaxing trying to figure out what exactly it is they want on that particular day in that place, too.  Teaching myself how to catch more and better fish is what it's all about for me, and you have to learn what they don't like as much as you need to learn what they do like, so the dreaded skunk is part of the deal.
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Night Eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:21 PM »
I guess when young you just want to catch a fish. And then numbers become important, for one reason or another. Later many, that trophy fish or maybe a specific species becomes an achievement. Then as you get older fishing is a lot more than just catching a fish, numbers, a trophy or an achievement...

I like that Thoreau quote... ice fishing for me is a lot of work and i love it, if i go out and get skunked i don't get mad or freak out, i just try harder.

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2010, 05:07 AM »
I've fished the hard water for over 30 years now, I did the numbers and trophy thing. After surviving
a bad bike wreck, I've really come to appreciate the fact that I can still go icefishing ;D I've had
great catching days and bad fishing days, IT'S ALL GOOD  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2010, 10:05 PM »

I like catchin fish ,but its not that importent!!!!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2010, 11:48 PM »
I find that the older I get the less important it is to catch fish.  I like to succeed at things I do so catching is certainly important, but I don't HAVE to catch fish to have a good time.  Just being out & relaxing is more important to me today than in the past.  I also enjoy fishing with my kids which is harder to do the older they get. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:45 PM »
My family loves to eat panfish but, I will go out fishing and release every fish I catch if we already have fish at home. I just like to get out and chill for awhile.  I love to eat'em and at the same time I don't want to deplete them.

Offline Long Point Slammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:49 PM »
I like to catch and release big lakers, but I also like to eat those little boys.  Nothing wrong with keeping some to eat.  And if it's walleye or perch, well they are going in the freezer!  A lot of my friends look at me weird when I keep some, but they look no more when they're sinking their teeth into them.  Good posts boys!!
'If you fish it, they will come.....'

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:55 PM »
 ;D I fish for fun in the spring,summer,and fall..in the winter I fish for the freezer  ;D...

Offline slimeslopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • that's why that call it fishin, not catching
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:56 PM »
;D I fish for fun in the spring,summer,and fall..in the winter I fish for the freezer  ;D...
i agree with got em, unless i'm sneaking up a summer brook catching brookies..ice time is meat time for me, but hey, even the skunk is a better way to spend time than alot fo others.  fresh air, and no nagging.  except the mosqitos, deer flies and black flies.  they can nag all they want tho. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.