Author Topic: what is your biggest fish caught on the ice???  (Read 2603 times)

TucciProShop

what is your biggest fish caught on the ice???
« on: Nov 05, 2004, 08:59 PM »
by length, 28" walleye 6 1/2 lbs.

by weight 8 lbs. ???oz's

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Re: what is your biggest fish caught on the ice???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2004, 09:11 PM »
A northern last winter through an 8" hole in 3' of ice  - length 39 1/2", (no scale to weigh it), then it was released back down the hole.  I keep the smaller ones.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

TucciProShop

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2004, 09:16 PM »
Thats a nice size fish.  How did you squeeze it threw an 8 inch hole lol..?

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2004, 09:55 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I'll give you a few of my favorite one: 11.5" bluegill, and not at my big bluegill lake either because I can't icefish it. Of course now I cant icefish this lake either... >:( >:( >:( >:(
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:12 PM »
i don't know if this counts but two years ago i caught a northern pike that got stuck at the bottom of a 8'' hole  tried a gaff but it's mouth was closed  my buddy's grandpa started a new hole beside  it got down two feet before the fish thrashed got un stuck and snapped the hook off.  it was the best ice fish i had every battled other than that about a 14 lb pike and a bunch of 2lb perch. anyone have any thoughts on the weight of that stuck pike??

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2004, 10:36 PM »
I caught a 23 lb pike on Winefred Lake, in Northern Alberta.  I have caught many walleyes in the 8 & 9 lb range on the same lake.  Winefred is a "Trophy" Walleye lake!!!  I live only 1 1/2 hrs away.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2004, 05:36 AM »
fishin musician you look like you are gonna wail out a solo on that walleye.is that a les paul walleye?lol j/k nice fish bud both of them  :o i guess i should chime in with my 71/2 # LMB from my favorite  ice fishing lake,unfortunately i do not have a pic as i did not always carry a camera like i do now.but that old duke was released to live another day!!and i fish that lake very often ,ive never seen him or heard of someone else catching him(or her  hehe) that is a very large bass for maine.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2004, 06:55 AM »
My biggest was CPR'd my last time out, a 40 inch muskie on 3/1/04.

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2004, 07:00 AM »
my best through the ice....a 40" northern up an 8" hole...at least 4 times partway up the hole and on the 5th try...i stuck a leather mitt in its mouth and lifted....around 3 plus feet of ice and about 1 1/2'-2' of water....23" ultra light rod with 8lb test mono...i wont forget that one......walleye...28 3/4" @ 10 1/2 lbs....also on 8lb test...the northern was way more fun.....Grump :tipup: :tipup:

TucciProShop

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:49 AM »
i don't know if this counts but two years ago i caught a northern pike that got stuck at the bottom of a 8'' hole  tried a gaff but it's mouth was closed  my buddy's grandpa started a new hole beside  it got down two feet before the fish thrashed got un stuck and snapped the hook off.  it was the best ice fish i had every battled other than that about a 14 lb pike and a bunch of 2lb perch. anyone have any thoughts on the weight of that stuck pike??
I read an article just yesterday on a guy saying he pulled a 42 inch pike threw a hole  but he said it was thin.  My guess would be you had a monster on the line because I watched my step dad pull a 42 inch muskie threw a 10 inch hole and it was around 20 lbs.  I would say you had something of that size on there.

TucciProShop

« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:51 AM »
I caught a 23 lb pike on Winefred Lake, in Northern Alberta.  I have caught many walleyes in the 8 & 9 lb range on the same lake.  Winefred is a "Trophy" Walleye lake!!!  I live only 1 1/2 hrs away.
Those are some nice size fish.  The northern is remarkable!!

TucciProShop

« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:53 AM »
my best through the ice....a 40" northern up an 8" hole...at least 4 times partway up the hole and on the 5th try...i stuck a leather mitt in its mouth and lifted....around 3 plus feet of ice and about 1 1/2'-2' of water....23" ultra light rod with 8lb test mono...i wont forget that one......walleye...28 3/4" @ 10 1/2 lbs....also on 8lb test...the northern was way more fun.....Grump :tipup: :tipup:
excellent fish grumpymoe!!! On a jig pole at that! Impresive.

TucciProShop

« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:57 AM »
For me a 42" Northern weighing 23 lbs and a 29 1/2" walleye just shy of 10 lbs. both caught the same day!!  I've also squeezed some really big carp through my 8" holes and a few cats in the 28-29" range.
Again excellent fish jigwiggler.  I Always use the 10" hole because I go for the monsters as well.  The muskie I mentioned in another reply I seen my step dad catch, I didn't think he was going to get it threw are 10" hole.

TucciProShop

« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2004, 08:59 AM »
Those pictures are great you guys, excellent fish!!!  I can hardly wait to be on the ice!!!

MN_transplant

« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2004, 10:14 AM »
9lb 1oz walleye ;D
13lb 6oz northern pike ;D
2lb 1oz crappie :o
8lb 2oz eelpout :P

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2004, 11:34 AM »
34 inch Northern and a fair share of jumbo perch! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2004, 01:14 PM »
biggest fish for me was the 36 inches 12.39 pound northern pike caught this past january at the conesus ice party we had here in NY!
pulled a few crappie through the ice that have topped 14 inches... all of them were at whitney point res. in NY!

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2004, 04:02 PM »
My largest fish was a 4.5 lb. Brown Trout on my first icefishing trip to Maine. Been hooked on icefishing ever sence!!!

smitty :tipup:

TucciProShop

« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2004, 04:15 PM »
For me a 42" Northern weighing 23 lbs and a 29 1/2" walleye just shy of 10 lbs. both caught the same day!!  I've also squeezed some really big carp through my 8" holes and a few cats in the 28-29" range.
Again excellent fish jigwiggler.  I Always use the 10" hole because I go for the monsters as well.  The muskie I mentioned in another reply I seen my step dad catch, I didn't think he was going to get it threw are 10" hole.
yeah I hear that I dont think i would attempt to use a hand crank.  I remember going with my friend and the augers blades were so dull it took 30 mins. to get one hole in and I said never again.  I prefer the jiffy's

Thanks Tucci, there have been many times I wished I had a 10" auger. That would be pretty tough to crank through by hand though. :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.