Author Topic: Fishin & MS  (Read 1486 times)

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fishin & MS
« on: Nov 04, 2004, 12:55 PM »
Not lookin for any pitty here guys, but just wondering how many of our fellow shanty members have ms. I have now for almost four years now & gets a little harded each year but still chug along. Could't imagine not bein on the hard water.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: Fishin & MS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2004, 01:03 PM »
I can imagine that being very, very difficult. I have known people with MS and it's hard for them to live normally.
I guess I can be thankful I just have chronic fatigue and not MS or something similiar.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2004, 07:40 AM »
My girlfriend's grandpa has MS. The sad part is, he was a huge sportsman before it hit him...he's wheelchair bound. I built a hard shack this year, and we are working on building a sleigh so we can wheel him on it and tow him out there with a snowmobile. I built the shack around a wheelchair basically...wide doors, and enough room by the door to park it. I'm really excited to get him out there, and he's excited to go. He's been messing around with his winter gear already :P

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2004, 04:38 PM »
Not lookin for any pitty here guys, but just wondering how many of our fellow shanty members have ms. I have now for almost four years now & gets a little harded each year but still chug along. Could't imagine not bein on the hard water.

God Bless You! I hope you can continue to share the hardwater for many more !!
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2004, 08:48 PM »
Good to see you're getting out there and flopping some fish on the ice. I think we all take our good health for granted and don't realize how fortunate we are. I'm sure 5 years ago ms never crossed your mind. Only the man above knows whats in store for us. That's why we need to enjoy the outdoors as much as we can.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: We never know what's around the corner.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2004, 06:11 AM »
i have an aunt who has had M.S.,her, or i guess i should say my whole life.as long as i can remeber she has been battling this crippling disease.i have never met a braver woman.she grabbed this disease by the horn fo as long as she could till finally at 71 she is in a wheelchair.i can remeber well over 20 years ago,she would go get the mail in her bare feet,in the middle of winter and my uncle would get mad."just because you cant feel it doesnt mean you wont get frostbitten!" he would yell.i used to go fishing on the river where they live and one day i ran back to the house and she was in the kitchen hanging on to the sink and she was hyperventilating.my mom being a nurse,we were all schooled in first aid at a young age.well i knew i needed to find her a bag so i started looking all over and found one beside her washing machine.by this time she had spun around and was sitting against the kitchen cabinets on the floor and i think she was gonna lose consciousness .so i held tha bag over her mouth and nose and a few seconds later she was breathing normal again,this was the first time i realized how serious a disease this was.it scared the hell out of me as a teen but also formed a lifelong bond between her and i.the point of this long story is that she never gave up she stared adversity in the face and though while it was not without its battles she stayed out of the wheelchair the doctors had promised her,for an extra twenty years.
keep getting out there and doin it as long as you can old man nepa,prayers and blessings coming your way from here,tight lines to ya bud!

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2004, 05:30 AM »
My top guide just found out he has MS at 43 is his time in the woods allover now  :-\
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2004, 08:18 AM »
nepa,

First let me say that my heart and prayers go out to you. You said you didn't want pity, but I believe there is great good done through prayer and kind thoughts. I work with MS victoms from time to time and although not everyday it is heart breaking to see them in the early stages and then watch them as the disease progresses. To this day, I don't know who has to be stronger, the person with MS or the ones trying to help them. It is truely a life changing experience for the victom as well as the victoms family, and healthcare workers alike. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

killitandgrillit

All I can say is WOW. What a truely great gift to give.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2004, 09:09 AM »
Nepa,                                                                                                                    I do know two people with MS and I know it's very difficult disease to deal with. I'm happy to hear you are still able to icefish and enjoy the outdoors.                     Here is a little prayer someone gave to me during some tough times.

Please Lord let nothing happen today that you and I cannot handle.

smitty :tipup:

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2004, 07:37 AM »
My top guide just found out he has MS at 43 is his time in the woods allover now  :-\

It depends where it effected him initially, mine started with my vision & was in the hospital for a week getting IV steroids. Mine started the first day of trout season in 2000. My legs still have some juice left in them so I can still get around but not like I used to. If he get on meds right away it will help slow it down. Thanks to all you great guys for your reply.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2004, 07:55 AM »
nepa,

First let me say that my heart and prayers go out to you. You said you didn't want pity, but I believe there is great good done through prayer and kind thoughts. I work with MS victoms from time to time and although not everyday it is heart breaking to see them in the early stages and then watch them as the disease progresses. To this day, I don't know who has to be stronger, the person with MS or the ones trying to help them. It is truely a life changing experience for the victom as well as the victoms family, and healthcare workers alike. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

killitandgrillit

All I can say is WOW. What a truely great gift to give.

He's a fantastic guy. Even though we are not family (yet), it sure feels that way. He's a pretty strong person, very independant given his condition. It just seemed to me that living vicariously through me was just not enough. I bring him venison and fish a couple of times a month. It's worth it just to see the expression on his face when he's enjoying a wild game feed....to have caught what he was eating would top it off!

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.