Author Topic: Arctic Warrior  (Read 1794 times)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Arctic Warrior
« on: Nov 02, 2004, 08:24 AM »
Saw one of these at Gander the other day...not sure if I like the idea. Anyone use these?

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Arctic Warrior
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2004, 08:37 AM »
I've never used them, but here is a link that may be helpful to those that are interested....

http://www.clamcorp.com/acc_arcticwarrior.html

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2004, 08:39 AM »
LOL, I was going to post the same link Thor!!! 

FYI, this is a tip down:

Here's a pic:
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2004, 08:45 AM »
I have 4 of them,Love them for fishing walleyes in 40'+  water,also had good success perch fishing with them.pretty slick actually.

stump

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2004, 09:05 AM »
FB,

A picture is worth a thousand words, but how many hyper links is it worth? ???

These tip downs do look interesting.  Now, I usually jig two rods for panfish/trout and set out three tip-ups with shiners hoping to get someting bigger (bass, walleye, pike, etc.).  In PA, we're allowed a total of five devices.

What types of rods/reels would be a good choice for these tip-downs?  I have some decent set-ups that I use for jigging, where sensitivity and finesse is often very important.

For these tip-downs, would less expensive combos be a good choice?  I'm not sure that I would want to "waste" my good jigging rods by putting them in the tip-downs, but I wouldn't want have to buy the tip-downs AND expensive combos to go with them.

Is using tip-downs similar or the same as "deadsticking"?

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2004, 10:12 AM »
Better check your states regulations, in NY those would be considered rods not tip downs.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2004, 10:50 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words, but how many hyper links is it worth? ???

Links are worth all the words on the link plus a thousand for each pic ;D 

Thor, sorry about that.  I wasn't trying to bypass your link.  I just posted the pic so that people that didn't want to leave the page could see it, that's all.  If they want more info, the link certainly gives them that.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2004, 12:13 PM »
Looks like a good idea for a rod holder,  but it might not work very well at subfreezing temps.  I have a windlass tip up and it's a pain to keep the hole open. And after a while you don't bother.  It would be no different with the arctic warrior.  Frozen line and lost fish!                          J.

Offline Doc_D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2004, 12:20 PM »
2 years ago, at the parking lot, at Cananadarago Lake (upstate NY) I spoke with the conservation officer about the Artic Warrior. He had never seen one before , but said as long as it had a "flag device" he would not consider it a hand line. He also said that he felt most other officers would feel the same ,but added the caveat, that if an officer found other violations and was shown a bad attitude it might be easy to make a case for the Warrior as a hand line.  Not really an answer , but that's what I was told.
                                                                 Doc D

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2004, 01:07 PM »
A good point has been raised here regarding how state laws would affect the number and use of these tip-downs.  I may try to contact some of the officials in PA to get their interpretation.  According to the regs posted on PA's Fish & Boat Commission website, you are allowed two rods and three tip-ups or handlines.

If I remember correctly from last year, I believe the PA regs may have been changed in this regard.  However, if these would count as rods, I would be unwilling to put down my jigging rods in favor of tip-downs.

FB,
I'm just jealous because I don't know how to post a pic.  It would take a lot more for me to be offended than that.  Now if you had posted a picture of my wife, then I may have been offended. ;)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2004, 01:45 PM »
My concern is missing the "light bite". By the time you see it tip, set your beer down, and grab the pole, the walleye/splake/perch that ate your minnow might have gotten away. I fish a spinning setup, but hold the line between my thumb and forefinger until the hook is set. My right hand never leaves the line unless I'm reeling.

I've also been looking at the marmish ads...any speculations on how you would manage to haul the fish up and manage the line if your not supposed to actually pull with the rod? I fly fish, and I STILL think I wouldnt have enough hands!

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2004, 03:25 PM »
they look cool but the price seems kinda high for just a rodstand and a flag! i will stick to my homemade tipdowns which are similar to RGFIXITS. i only use them when im on a heavy crappie or perch area and they work awesome! i use them every year here in NY for a crappie derby with great success.
also with the warrior, like everyone said... its a rod and reel just like the 2 your allowed other than your tipups(or whatever the rules are in your state). so, if your out there using it like a regular set up, you could be setting yourself up for a ticket! this definitely needs clearification with the officials!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2004, 05:22 PM »
In michigan, they say 2 lines. That's 2 lines period. One tipup and one rod, two tipups, or two rods. I personally would like to see 3 lines..Wisconsin is 3. I feel shafted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.