Author Topic: No or Low Tech  (Read 3242 times)

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
No or Low Tech
« on: Oct 27, 2004, 01:42 PM »
For some reason the last few years I have ejoyed no tech ice fishing. No electronics at all, just a few tip ups, a jig pole and some jigs or waxworms and a lead for depth finding. I don't honestly believe I catch any less this way but it seems to be way more fun as I get older. I also have taken to deer hunting with a Hawkins Blackpowder.  Am I the only one feeling this way? :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
Re: No or Low Tech
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2004, 01:58 PM »
i really don't use anything either, if i fish lakes i know but if i am going to a new lake that i have no idea about i might bring along a vex, but other than that i never use anything.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2004, 04:28 PM »
i dont have a vex yet...if i did i would probably use it  most of the time.that is another great thing about this sport,you can make what you want out of it.its definately not just about how many fish you catch or even how big they are(cant believe i said that) :o its about how much fun you have!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2004, 05:29 PM »
I'm with you...I love grabbing my little sled and a couple of rods and seeing what I can find.

Most times, less is better ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2004, 06:14 PM »
I wouldn't be caught dead on any lake without my vexilar. I know that hauling extra gear is a lot more work, but man I think it's worth it. I need my jigging sticks, lures, power and backup hand auger, my vexilar, my chair, and my tip ups. Would take them all, with the vexilar being the most important in my mind. But I can see where you are coming from. I carry the least amount of gear as possible still.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2004, 07:11 PM »
You know that is what I should do this year also. I spend way to much time playing with the aqua-vu then I spend fishing. Tough competition this year with the grumpymoe,little reel and the Gretzky of fishing Trophy hunter. The hell with the aqua-vu I say. ;D ;D
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2004, 11:26 PM »
I mostly fish for perch in the winter all i  do to see if there is fish down there is to drop my jig down if they aren't going to hit it in 5-10 at the most mins out there to hell with em i'm outta there off to find an active school i don't really care if there is a hundred perch sitting there looking at my bait wasting half a day trying to lure em in i look for the school that hits on the way down and comes up spitting out sand one after another as soon as fast as you can get back down!!So for perch fishing the electronics would just slow me down.They do have there place though when the going gets tough.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2004, 08:58 AM »
If the fish are biting low tech is great. You sometimes do not even look at the vex. When the bite is tough high tech helps and makes the outing more enjoyable for me.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2004, 09:03 AM »
I'm a high tech fisherman. My shack is equiped with a vexilar, a laptop w/dvd player, and a stereo system. When the fish are not biting and I'm alone, it gives me something to do. I wouldnt go out on a lake without my vexilar.
Sometimes perch want a specific presentation. So you see one come in on the vex. You jig, he leaves. The next one that comes in, you know not to jig. Instead you circle it. He leaves. Next time, you might try leaving the bait still, switching colors, or baits entirely. You'd never know a fish was even looking at the bait without the vex.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2004, 10:58 AM »
that is another great thing about this sport,you can make what you want out of it.

I couldn't agree more with BIR's post.  It all depends on what you get out of the sport and that depends on what you put into it.  If all you want is a fun day on the ice then you should do whatever it takes to achieve that.

Now, as far as high tech goes, I know for a fact that using the equipment that I use puts me at an advantage to catch fish.  And, to me, catching more and bigger fish is more fun than not catching fish.  And, I can achieve my level of fun faster with electronics than without them.  But, that is me.

Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2004, 10:26 AM »
I don't no iv'e been fishing with the high tech for years now, but i no a guy thats been fishing longer than me and he say's that the vex scares the fish away. He also say's he doesn't drag the fish trap around any more,makes to much noise. It sure is nice to no when theres fish down there though. I guess if there biting there biting,if there not there not.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2004, 10:37 AM »
i am about as low tech as i guy can get.....heck even once in awhile i put a hook on.....just to let Big Walleye catch up!!!!.....gotta go.....Grump

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2004, 04:09 PM »
grump id say you are pretty high tech on the smileys!!!that poor little guy looks like hes giving birth!!!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2004, 04:12 PM »
Hey Billditrite I'm assuming that's you in your avatar SWEET!!!!!!! ;D ;D 8)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2004, 04:27 PM »
yup thats me with big red !!!fun fun fun bring on the ice!!!lol i have been looking for this pic for my avatar and couldnt find it ...come to find out my mother had it!!i was psyched!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2004, 04:55 PM »
Cool pic that's for sure!!! Good thing you found it! You should blow that up and stick it on the wall It would look awesome!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2004, 07:03 PM »
thanks  ;D the funny thing was it never did it till i broke a belt then when i put a brand new belt the thing was a powerhouse!!144 studs in the track help it dig in even when there is no snow!!1 pull everytime BigRed has been a good sled!!not sure if big red is lo tech or high tech but shes an invaluable tool for remote areas!!and a fun toy for the rest of the time!if there is not much snow i will bring my atv,it uses a lot less gas!!either way im not walking !!

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2004, 11:26 AM »
Gas Augar, thats it, catch just as many fish as my buddies with vexlars. Love to bust b...s  about it.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2004, 01:04 PM »
I am glad to hear the 'Grumpy old Men' style is alive and ticking. The vex is a powerful tool, but it doesn't hold a candle to the allure of crunching snow over a frozen pond, sled swinging behind you, out for a day of fresh air and maybe some good luck.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.