Author Topic: Fury friend on ice  (Read 3060 times)

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fury friend on ice
« on: Oct 21, 2004, 08:56 PM »
My dog loves to go ice fishing....  Ive seen the dog mitts for his paws and want to try them out this year.  He's always pawing at the ice chunks and running around like a zipperhead!  Don't want him to split a pad. Anyone have any experience with them?  What about a jacket for the bonehead to keep him warmer???  He's a cross between a pitbull and a German Shepherd (hair on the shorter side), around 80 to 90 lbs.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Re: Fury friend on ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2004, 09:15 PM »
Can't help you out with the mitts, but I can tell you that watching a chocolate lab stick his whole head in a jigging hole to blow bubbles in 32° water when the air temp is barely 10° is hilarious.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2004, 10:04 PM »
He wouldn't love icefishing so much if he didn't enjoy what he was doing.
If you wanted a poodle, you should have gotten one.
I hear they have designer sweaters... >:D

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2004, 10:47 PM »
I have a pair of Scotties who love to go ice fishing with me and my buds. My male "Pooper" lays with his head outside the tent and when a flag flies he barks and runs to it. We don't have to keep looking at flags while playing cribbage. If I go without the tent I take along an old rug for them to set or lay on out on the ice by me when they are done peeing and woofing around and they do just fine. I enjoy taking them and they love to go. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2004, 10:50 PM »
I surprused you guys dont have issues with them eating hooks. My crazy dog eats hooks and then I  have to pull them out. I can tell hes a hunting dog and not a fishing dog.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2004, 11:30 PM »
glad you aske what he was pulling the hooks out of as I was afraid to find out? ???
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2004, 12:36 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's dog ate a hook  but i could not get it out myself and it cost $300can for a vet to get woken up at 2 in the morning to help get it out. i have never felt so bad in my life.
    i now never leave any leftover bait on the hooks as he went for a dried minnow on a pickerel rig he got all wrapped up in the line and was fighting very hard . i did not know where the hook was in mouth  i was worried that it was in his throat somewhere. let me tell you fighting with a 75lb dog with hooks in his mouth and tangled in line was very hard i held on with all my might till i worked my way over  to the tackle box for my plier's we already had been fighting for 20 Min's blood(mouth), poop and pee(just from me holding on so tight and him fighting) everywhere.
  i had the black cotton line on so i could not even bite though it myself , i finally cut the line that was wrapped around him . he finally calmed down when i had all the line off and just 4inches hanging out of his mouth. now  i tried to get his mouth open  thankfully it was stuck in the back part of his tongue but in the fight it had gone in sideways and burried itself, i could not find the barb and point to cut it off  just the eye of the hook was showing it was one of those eagle hooks with the bait barbs also. so i cut the line about 2 inches from the eye of the hook but now he won't even let me in his mouth anymore it has now been 50mins since he got hooked . but he has really calmed down now but i decided to call the vet and took him in . we had to knock him out so we could get inside his mouth now, the vet did not know how she was going to get the hook out she wanted to cut  the tongue to get it out but i wanted a try first before that  and as soon as he was sleeping his tongue relaxed there was actually a very large hole left behind about the size of a .22lr bullet around and i just pulled it back out of the hole just like a very big piercing. i still feel really bad and this happened 3 yrs ago

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2004, 05:03 AM »
friend of mine had a yellow lab that always came with us.she was a great dog and she loved icefishing,her name was candy.one time she did the same thing took off running...there goes a jigging pole 10 feet or so behind her,swedish pimple in her nose.took some doing but we got it out and she was very good for us while we pushed it through and cut off the barb

trapperdirk

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2004, 05:40 AM »
Dang , quite the stories about the battle royals wih the pooches and fish hooks . I took my lab fishing too but thankfully never had any occurrances like these . Darn dogs are like watching 4 year old kids , if it's there for them to get hurt by , they will find it . :-\

TD

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2004, 05:58 AM »
Tarbot 

Yes the boots do work. Use them for both of my dogs Jack Russell and a bull terrier. Use them on the cold days with a jacket on both dogs, they both have short hair. You need to get the better quality boots the cheap ones fall off.

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2004, 08:06 AM »
this hook issue happened to someone i know too... he is a friend of a friend so i dont know what kind of dog, but its a small dog... anyways, he ties some special flies for a friend of mine. (the other guy, not the dog... lol) and one day my buddy stopped over to pick up this dozen of special flies that he needed. well, the guy goes to get them and finds that there are only 7 of the dozen where he left them on his desk. yup... the dog ate them! the dog is still alive thanks to a $1000.00 or so and a good vet, but they were all the way to the dogs stomach by the time he got him to the vet! actually, with x-rays and everything i think it was way more than a grand in cost, but i cant remember for sure. this was 3 years ago. damn dogs will eat anything sometimes if given the chance!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2004, 09:19 AM »
Great thread.

I always like to see wellbehaved mutts on the ice. My buddies dog was always a welcome companion. He would fetch big ice chunks for us.

My brother-in-law has two cats. He saw one of them running around with what looked like thread hanging from his mouth. The cat had nocked down on of his rods in the basement and impailed his nose with a hook.

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2004, 09:38 AM »
We just adopted our mutt from the humane society this summer so this winter should be interesting. I'll be giving him a chance since he loves being with us. I'll have to watch the hooks though because he is a nosey little mutt!

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2004, 11:22 AM »
I'd  love to take my choc lab, but instead of fishin, I'd be in the woods lookin for everybody's gear. LOL ! :)
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2004, 03:19 PM »
I thought about taking my bishon/poodle ice fishing. She is not a wimp, likes the cold and thinks she is a pitbull. My concern is that I'm afraid she will step into a hole and break a leg, then the wife will break my neck.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2004, 04:39 PM »
All this dog talk reminds me of a post someone on here a couple years ago about his dog names Flag.  I had a gut ache for an hour after reading it because I laughed so hard.  I don't know if it's still in the archives or not.  Mabey someone out there saved it and can repost it.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Was this the one about the retreiver should of been named Flag?
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=6698.msg57894#msg57894
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Andrew I have A friend with a Choclate Lab  who either pee's on  your trap or tak's a big dump on it. Once he stole  a good size bass was   posible prize winner  person was'nt amused.   Watch your dog

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2004, 10:56 PM »
I pull them out of his nose or mouth. He just stands there while grab it with pliers. Thing about getting ahold of it is be calm. Cause dogs can read your mood, you have to act like no big deal that poochie has a swedish pimple hanging from his face. If you get all worked up doggy will just get worked up too.

Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Good_Time_Ranger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2004, 04:08 AM »
Tarbot:

There is a web site called
www.dogbooties.com
I have bought dog booties from them for years.  They have a good web site and it shows all that they have.  Hope this helps

Good Time Ranger

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2004, 10:29 PM »
FM that is one ugly b***h!!! ;D i used to have a beagle named daisy!!just kiding man great dog!!!great pic hates the cold too bad :-\

trapperdirk

« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2004, 01:48 AM »
Definately not pretty FM but what the heck if she puts up with your noise and fishes ,,,,,she's beautiful . LOL ;D

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2004, 04:50 PM »
Aww, FM, I think she's cute, and it's a good thing she can't read, because I laughed for 2 mins over her description.

Bought a dog sled harness for my 115 lb chocolate lab and started him on it last winter pulling fireplace logs around, then graduated to the ice sled with a load of firewood.  He did OK up to about 65 lb of wood, so this year I'm going to try him on the lake loaded with all my ice gear, (about 45 lbs) plus a warm mat and shelter for him if it's windy. (I don't have a shanty).
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2004, 05:10 PM »
haha MUSH!! maybe you could get a cat to put out in front of him so hell chase it then youll be flying!! ;D

hali-man

« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2004, 09:13 AM »
Bought a dog sled harness for my 115 lb chocolate lab and started him on it last winter pulling fireplace logs around, then graduated to the ice sled with a load of firewood.  He did OK up to about 65 lb of wood, so this year I'm going to try him on the lake loaded with all my ice gear, (about 45 lbs) plus a warm mat and shelter for him if it's windy. (I don't have a shanty).

Now THAT would be cool!
He should have no problem with the weight.
Don't forget his treats!  8)

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2004, 09:51 AM »
How much do you think a couch potato beagle could haul? ;)
Follow the bubbles...

hali-man

« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2004, 10:20 AM »
Maybe a case of beer? lol...
 ;D

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2004, 08:21 PM »
Heard a story one time about a guy spear fishing in a ice shack, he had his black lab with him and a big jack swam underneath them and the dog dove in after it and went down under the ice! The guy was devastated watching and waiting for his dog to maybe swim back to the open hole when he heard all this yelling outside, turns out the dog came out his neighbors hole and scared s---t out of the fisherman and chased him out of his shack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.