Author Topic: Do pike hear well?  (Read 7200 times)

Offline little fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Do pike hear well?
« on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:02 AM »
 Hi guys,
            Do pike hear well, the reason I am asking is that I was planning to use a sound alarm on my tip up. When the pike takes the bait it would set off the alarm as well as the flag.
My concern is that the loud noise will spook the fish, and they will drop ths bait ??? ???
Anybody out there tried this before ???

Thx,
              little fish :) :)

grumpymoe

Re: Do pike hear well?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2006, 07:16 AM »
Hi guys,
            Do pike hear well, the reason I am asking is that I was planning to use a sound alarm on my tip up. When the pike takes the bait it would set off the alarm as well as the flag.
My concern is that the loud noise will spook the fish, and they will drop ths bait ??? ???
Anybody out there tried this before ???

Thx,
              little fish :) :)
....shouldn't spook them as long as you don't use a siren!   what were you planning on using?  Grump

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:41 AM »
I Know when I'am spearing that if you talk loud youll scare the northern away so they must hear a little

Offline little fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Hi Grump,
             I was planning to use one of those personal alarms (about 130 dec)
  from radio shack!

Little fish :) :)

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Hi Grump,
             I was planning to use one of those personal alarms (about 130 dec)
  from radio shack!

Little fish :) :)

....that should do it.....one false flag and any fish in the vicinity will be permanently deaf.....Grump  :roflmao:

Offline little fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Hi Grump,
             Not recommended eh! any suggestions?

little fish, :'( :'( :'(

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Good question little pike, I do know that they have great hearing/feel in the water with there lateral line. And I do know that a sudden overhead noise like running or a skidoo/ truck going by can sent them swimming, {have seen it on the camera}. ::)

Your sensor you were thinking of may be a bit loud but there are a number of line or bite sensors you can purchase at most fishing stores. ;)

WW

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:41 PM »
If your setting tip ups in the 5 - 12 foot depth range I like to stay at least 50 feet or so away from them and keep it down. I'm not sure if they really can hear you but I just play it safe.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

billybono

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:59 PM »
i use alarms that are very loud. i also fish just a few inches under the ice for pike in the shallows at times . i havent noticed a difference in flag or catch rate since ive used em

billybono

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:26 PM »
I have been using alarms since about 1990 on my tip ups and have not noticed any difference in the numbers of strikes or drops.IMO it does not effect the fish.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2006, 08:31 PM »
I was fishing in three feet of water earlier this winter and got a flag.  I ran up to the tip up and it was not running line.  When I picked up the tip up, I could see the pike sitting there with the smelt in it's mouth.  So I don't think it would bother them.  If two guys can run up to the hole and not spook them, I don't think your alarm will.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:42 PM »
I heard that the lateral line of a pike is very poor, and that they reley entirely on their excellent vision.
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:50 PM »
i use an alarm and some days,when the fish are not active,i unhook the alarm as ive found when they are less active...the alarm alarms the fish.but when the fish are hot to trot then nothing seems to shake them.just my two cents worth.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:00 PM »
I heard that the lateral line of a pike is very poor, and that they reley entirely on their excellent vision.

Pike have excellent sense of smell and can detect pheremones that other fish release when they are startled.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I've had my Aqua-Vu down a hole, being very quite, and along comes a quad/sled and wham!  The pike strikes....it's pretty awesome.  I haven't captured it on video yet.....but i will.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:38 PM »
I think 130 dB is a bit much for an alarm... Thats right on the thresh hold of pain.
a Jet taking off about 60 m aways is close to 115 dB.

I like the alarm idea, as long as its not too loud  ;)

-Bob

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:24 PM »
Every bit of literature I have read about pike says their vision sucks..

As far as them hearing well, they realy don't need to. These fish are at the top of the food chain where ever they are, do they get spooky at times ? I don't really think so, I look at it as them just following the crowd so to speak if they do , it would be like sitting down in the park and an m-80 goes off, somepeople are going to run and scream others are going to say dang kids and there fire works. There is a thread about how noise is believed to trigger them into biting. I have, as many others noticed them flags pop when walking by or drilling a hole nearby..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline King Fisher22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:03 PM »
If you are worried about it, you can always make the alarm quieter.  By using duct tape or w/e.  IF you wanna go the extra mile after that, you could cover the hole with styrofoam.  If its cheap, buy it... then play with it.  Why not right?  Might catch a fish or two! ;)
FLAAAAAAAAAAAAG!  Or should I say.... BELL!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:28 AM »

As far as them hearing well, they realy don't need to. These fish are at the top of the food chain where ever they are, do they get spooky at times ? I don't really think so, I look at it as them just following the crowd so to speak if they do , it would be like sitting down in the park and an m-80 goes off, somepeople are going to run and scream others are going to say dang kids and there fire works. There is a thread about how noise is believed to trigger them into biting. I have, as many others noticed them flags pop when walking by or drilling a hole nearby..

Not sure where you got your information about a Pikes vision but you are very wrong. Pike are sight hunters and have excellant vision. They do not see as well in low light conditions, say as well as Walleye, but Pike see very well. Here are some links if you dont believe me.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/interactive/docs/science_doc/

http://wonderclub.com/Wildlife/fish/northern%20pike.html

IceTroll
     :callcops:

Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:33 PM »
"Prey is detected by sight and a northern pike can spot a potential meal over 50 feet away"...I wouldn't say their vision sucks. lol.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Not sure where you got your information about a Pikes vision but you are very wrong. Pike are sight hunters and have excellant vision. They do not see as well in low light conditions, say as well as Walleye, but Pike see very well. Here are some links if you dont believe me.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/interactive/docs/science_doc/

http://wonderclub.com/Wildlife/fish/northern%20pike.html

IceTroll
     :callcops:

I guess I should have been a little more clear.
 The older they get the worse their vision gets and in turn rely totaly on their strength of smell wich becomes excellent with age. Which probably supports why so many trophy Pike are caught on dead bait. I'm sure at one point and time a Northerns vision is good and my guess would be when they are hammer handles, but The North American Fishing Club has 2 books of about 300 pages  each dedicated to Musky and Pike and from what they say thier vision goes down the toilet very fast with age.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 29, 2008, 11:39 PM »
 Deaf, Blind or Dumb!  Pike just plain eat.  Real food, or anything else they want to try.  Finding them where and when active, is the only secret!

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Where?  no.  When active?  yes.

Where?  12 FOW in a thick weed bed.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2008, 11:38 AM »

have to say that's wrong. i've observed pike in the shallows in the spring time during their spawn.....i've spooked plenty of them just by simply moving my head, or scratching an itch....and the fish were an average of 20-25 feet out from me. i would hardly say their vision sucks.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2008, 12:09 PM »
have to say that's wrong. i've observed pike in the shallows in the spring time during their spawn.....i've spooked plenty of them just by simply moving my head, or scratching an itch....and the fish were an average of 20-25 feet out from me. i would hardly say their vision sucks.

I'm sure... When I posted that i was 3 sheets to the wind. Left out a lot of things I 'm was recanting what i read about trophy pike and musky..... The best way for anyone to answer this is to reincarnated as a pike then get reincarnated back to a fisherman and tell us all the truth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.