The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Graham Lake Crappies?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Graham Lake Crappies?
« on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:20 AM »
Anybody Else know anything about it?

Well, it appears Graham lake now has crappies in it. The biologist, Gregg Burr, says he's had a few reports but has not personally confirmed it. Some friends of mine caught some fish there last summer they didn't recognize. I showed em some crappies. That's what they caught. There have been pike reports too.

Where's the walleyes?
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Graham Lake Crappies?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:54 AM »
Anybody Else know anything about it?

Well, it appears Graham lake now has crappies in it. The biologist, Gregg Burr, says he's had a few reports but has not personally confirmed it. Some friends of mine caught some fish there last summer they didn't recognize. I showed em some crappies. That's what they caught. There have been pike reports too.

Where's the walleyes?

Clues? Rumors? Suspicions?

I'm gonna give it a try next week. My friends caught em up in the N end in the deeper parts of the old river bed. I'm gonna try down around the bigger island to the S. Some deep water around there.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline mikeypmcg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:18 AM »
PIKE in graham???  hope they can keep them out of branch, green, and beech hill!  I have caught pickerel in graham around 30"s so maybe they were mistaken.  I dont know much about crappies, but my kids did catch a bunch of odd looking sunfish last year....

I wouldnt mind haveing a pike hole in hancock county....

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:23 AM »
I don't mind the crappies there at all. Movin bass around sucks to a degree, is bad enough.....Movin pike into lakes like these if f'n numb. We have a great chain of lakes here with great salmonid fisheries. Hate to see em all eaten!

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:20 AM »
caught a ton of fish outa there, perch, pics, browns, salmon but never a pike or a crappie.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:36 AM »
Have you tried it lately? I haven't fished it in at least 15 years.

Offline togueking22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:53 AM »
Clamfarmer,

I've fished Graham a number of times open water for smallies. I haven't heard any rumors of pike, but I wouldn't be at all surprised about crappie. They're in a number of lakes close to Graham. I've wanted to fish Graham during the winter for awhile now, but never have. Are you getting on at the Southern end landing on Mariaville Road (rt. 180)? I'd be willing to join you if you were looking for a fishing partner. I think there's probably too much snow for a wheeler??

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Hey Togue King,

Nice to hear fro ya. I'd like to give it a try next week sometime. What's yer schedule like? I work for myself so am fairly open. Hard to get a full day in though. Have 30 farm animals and lots a clam farm work coming on. I don't know where I'd get on Graham. abut would like to try around the deeper water on the Southern half.  Any ideas. I've been catchin a few crappies up your way.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:38 AM »
wow.... i could see them in there too. more food for the bass ;D

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:50 AM »
I Would like to know too if there are any crappie in Graham. I live half way up the lake on the Gary Moore road and have never seen anybody fishing out there. Of course, I've only been there for two years, so I would be interesting in crappie fishing. Where do you get on at the North end? Do you take the road by the Otis Store?
Steve

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Anybody know a good chance to get on, especially with an easy hike to the deeper water on the south end? I will look at a map later.

Offline JustOutFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I live on the north end of Graham lake right where the two river connect.  Have only been fishing out there in front of my house really due to being on foot or using paddle power.  Only catching bass, pic, yellow/white perch, and hornpout.  No salmon, browns, crappies, or pike.  Would like to catch some salmon and brown if anyones got tips where to fish for them and what they are using in the open season to catch them would be nice.  and as far as pike go......lets put some pic on of these "pike" i pull some big pics in the summer time.  if you ever go fishing and want some company on graham let me know I love to fish!!!!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:06 AM »
I'm gonna give Graham a try next week. I'll probaly take traps and everthing. Gonna fish the deepest water area down toward Ellsworth. That's my first bet anyway.....

The biologist says there are a few hold over salmon and some natrual spawns. Not many of either. Now that they.ve got landing, they're stocking it again. He called it "put, grow and take", Just put the walleyes to it....  Browns come from upstream,a few, he said.

Pike are rumors only. Crappies seem likely though. Friends looked at my fish and said that was it. Have to see for ourselves. Drop me a line. I'll probable go Wednesday or Thursday.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:48 AM »
theres a deeper area out in front of the island up from the dam that would be worth a try. i always fished out in front of where webb stream comes in. alot of action as long as the water level is not too low.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:22 AM »
theres a deeper area out in front of the island up from the dam that would be worth a try. i always fished out in front of where webb stream comes in. alot of action as long as the water level is not too low.
can
That's what I was thinkin. I think you can get on pretty easy there. I have no machine, so I look for places with pretty easy/short walk and or smowmobile paths.

The only place I've fished was up by web stream...like 20 years ago. Caught a bunch of whites, some small yellows.

I'd like to give it whole day. It would be great to get a few guys to give it a good look over. I think a couple of my hancock buddies can be persuaded.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:33 AM »
42 ft of water  to the north of the point in front of fleachers landing. narrowist part of the lake. should be good for big white perch and pickeral.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Give it a try?

That's right where I was lookin. Figure I'd set 3 traps across different depths and start hunting the area with two rods and the showdown. It IS close to home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.