The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: THROUGH THE ICE ON MARANACOOK  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
THROUGH THE ICE ON MARANACOOK
« on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:25 AM »
5 Maranacook High School students attempted to walk across the lake in Readfield off the Weathervane Restaurant late yesterday.  3 fell through in separate holes in about 12 feet of water.  Thankfully, they were able to get out under their own power after going totally under. And the Readfield end of Maranacook has some of the best big lake ice of anywhere in this area.....doesn't say much for conditions on the other lakes. 

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: THROUGH THE ICE ON MARANACOOK
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:29 AM »
this is really getting bad.....some people just need to smarten up.   ::)  before you know it....the state is gonna take over and THEN we'll all be screwed.. :'(

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2007, 09:06 AM »
I don't know how far north I have to go to find safe ice, but if things don't change soon I'm going to relocate to a cooler climate. I was listerning to a discussion about global warming and a geologist was explaining that this has happened a lot during history of the earth. The greenhouse gasses are made up mostly of carbon monoxide and water vapor. The thing that causes the most change in our atmoshere  are the solar flares. Even the polar cap on Mars is melting.  :-\
Steve

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2007, 09:30 AM »
I think you're right about this happening in cycles during history.  Not sure of the cause.  Hopefully, we're not heading into a long-term cycle of warmth.  We used to fish the ice in northern Maryland quite a bit when I was living there.  That would be a pipe dream lately.

I don't know how far north I have to go to find safe ice, but if things don't change soon I'm going to relocate to a cooler climate. I was listerning to a discussion about global warming and a geologist was explaining that this has happened a lot during history of the earth. The greenhouse gasses are made up mostly of carbon monoxide and water vapor. The thing that causes the most change in our atmoshere  are the solar flares. Even the polar cap on Mars is melting.  :-\

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2007, 11:49 AM »
I went by Maranacook this morning. It definitely looked sketchy. Plenty of ice on Crowell pond and 2 parties were fishing Flying pond. There is ice out there but it wont last long with the up coming weather.  :(

Offline outdoorman18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2007, 02:08 PM »
also it is worth taking a look at the jet stream and its patterns over time. right not we are getting the stream straight from the west instead of out of Canada where the cold air is trapped because of this.  :-\

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Yup.  It also means that the storms track in from the west and pull warm air up ahead of them, meaning rain or slop instead of snow.  The pattern may change next week. 

also it is worth taking a look at the jet stream and its patterns over time. right not we are getting the stream straight from the west instead of out of Canada where the cold air is trapped because of this.  :-\

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2007, 02:51 PM »
i read the stream was goofed because of the ton of solar activity in december

the new year was supposed to see a change towards normalcy....plenty of cold air is massed to the north

in reality, this week isn't a TON warmer than normal, highs in the upper 30's is the norm.....we just haven't had ANY significant cold yet

time will tell, but it better hurry

supposed to be at worthing's next friday night for a christmas party. not sure what plan "B" is

Offline outdoorman18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2007, 04:41 PM »
i miss going to worthings on friday nights but last year there was not much smelting after they had to pull the shacks out in randolph. doesnt look very good for any of maine's winter industries right now but there is still time for that to change. hoping it will.  :-[

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I did it all for the brookie, the brookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2007, 04:58 PM »
a guy down this way has a floating shack tied off near the Oyster Creek bridge on Great Salt Bay...a buddy who knows him is gonna try to get us a night this week to try it out...i was told they were running real well this morning...he only has 4 lines and had half a 5gal bucket in a few hours
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:24 PM »
3 shacks fell through where i usually put my shack 2 days ago. they put them all clustered together on 3in. of ice! im glad  mine wasnt one of them. told ya i had a bad feeling! reports from all over fish river chain of people falling in! i fished st. froid today on 8in. but 1/8 mi. away was open water!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.