Author Topic: Jigging for perch  (Read 18571 times)

Jeff-

Jigging for perch
« on: May 07, 2002, 11:33 AM »
I mostly jig for perch, but on a slow day I will set up a few tip-ups.

When I jig I let the line with a bibbit on the end sink to the bottom. Then I will usally real it up about two or three feet. This allows the bibbit to hang freely. I usally like to fish with a wax worm or a pinhead minnow on the bibbit. I slowly jig it up and down untell something bites.

Rayne

Re: Jigging for perch
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2002, 11:34 AM »
Try using the eyeballs from the previously caught fish.
Remove the whole eyeball with the tip of your knife CAREFULLY. They don't like soft broken ones.
Be careful removing them though they break open easily.
Here in Utah this works well. Usually you can catch a limit of 20 perch in a couple of hours. So much for a LONG DAY on the ice. It sure is fun though if you catch and release. Tight lines and good luck. Rayne

Todd

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2002, 11:35 AM »
Here in Utah most say to use meal or wax worms on a small ice fly. I've found that once you catch your first one cut a small strip of meet from the tail and put that on. I like this because it isn't quite as easy for the fish to steal you bait. Good Luck

Karl S

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2002, 08:19 PM »
I like to use red jigs tipped with a lip hooked minnow for my jigging stick. On the other set pole I'll use a bare (dark, light wire) hook with a bigger minnow hooked lightly behind the dorsal fin. On both rigs I like a small bobber that can be pushed around by the minnow. I don't mind using 6 pound test for these rigs on Perch because you often hook a walleye or even a pike and it gives you a chance to get the bigger fish through the hole.

Old story time...

I remember when I was a twelve year old living in Minneapolis. The city lakes there are not known for large perch. I was talking to a guy and he told about a sunken island he had found about a week back on a lake called Harriet. I loaded up the pickle buckets and ice auger and took a city bus over there. Walked close to a mile across the whole lake and found some little windswept snow mounds out in the middle of nowhere. I was the only person on the lake. The hump was maybe 30 or 40 feet across and surrounded by 40 foot water. It topped out at about 14 feet. Sand/gravel bottom. As soon as I put the minnow/bobber down the freshly drilled hole it just kept going down. The bobber never stopped on a slow descent through the dark water. One BIG perch after another. They were all big. One pound to a pound and a half. Looked like little footballs with very orange fins. Got 30 of them as quick as I could bring them up. I had brought my newspaper bag with strap (like paperboys used to fill with newspapers) and filled it up with all the big perch. Long walk back to the bus stop with the fish on my back and the strap around my forehead hauling the 30 pound plus load. Both arms were killing me as I switched the auger and buckets back and forth.

Never did find that little hump again. Easy to catch perch at Harriet. Just not easy to find the big ones. In fact, I had never caught big ones there until that memorable day. Almost like two separate populations in that darkwater/deep lake. The smaller/typical perch didn't have that bright orange look. Their fins were dull greenish or brown (even from deeper water). One of life's mystery's... Might just be a function of age or diet.

JACKEL

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2002, 12:40 PM »
THE BEST BAIT I'VE FOUND FOR ATTRACTING AND CATCHING PERCH IS CRAYFISH MEAT. JUST TAKE A CRAY FISH TAIL, CUT IT OPEN AND TAKE OUT JUST ENOUGH MEAT TO STAY ON A SMALL J-HOOK. PERCH LOVE IT! IT WILL BRING THE THE PERCH IN AND ATTRACT BIGGER PREDATOR FISH SUCH AS PIKE AND WALLEYE. 1 CRAY FISH TAIL USUALLY LASTS ME A COUPLE OF HOURS.
GOOD LUCK.

DaveW731

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2002, 10:56 AM »
Never tried crayfish meat, but have heard that shrimp meat works about the same.  Never tried that either, but might be worth the try.  There is a lake around me (central Michigan) that is rumored to have jumbo perch, but I have never caught any.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2002, 07:09 AM »
When the perch have lockjaw I've found the Arnold Fairy Jig(has tiny flicker blades) tipped with maggots to work well.When you jig the blades attract them but don't scare them because of the small size.    LoneWolf
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2002, 04:01 PM »

Just wanted to say I have found eyeballs to be one of the most effective baits I've found for Perch, but make sure to check your regs before using them guys.  It is not legal in all states and provinces....

Offline Colt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2002, 06:19 AM »
Just like Trevor said make sure you the regs in your state...in NYS I belive it's illegal.

Beau_Brewton

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2002, 08:25 PM »
last year i put a small minnow head on my tip up, and no mor than 5 minutes i got a perch, i did again and got another, yet i only caught a couple on bangs lake that way. ??? strange.

dc31

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2002, 01:54 AM »
I found that when I have caught a couple and the fish slow down or just stop, scale the ones you have and rinse them and your scaler in the hole in the ice. Not only does it keep me out of trouble at home with the mess left out on the lake, but it also attract  the fish, especially the pike.

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2002, 01:12 PM »
i've found thet a "swedish pimple", the small ones, about 1/2 inch, with wax worms or maggots works well. The jig flashes to draw them in and if they are in a feeding mode, they slam the worm/mag. When they are a bit off, they swim up, look at it for a moment, then just suck in the bait. You really need to pay attention for the light bites. Some times, in the same hole you get both, aggressive and neutral fish.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2002, 03:09 PM »
;)Nothing beats mayfly larvaeand a small red jig under a tiny bobber!Jigging or tip-ups depending on what the fish want that day.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2002, 05:06 AM »
LoneWolf, :'(

Arnold Fairy Jigs, where can we but them? I have heard of them in a different forum but I have never seen them. Can someone out there help with a web site or store that has them? ???
Morrocco Mole...
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2002, 11:59 AM »
We don't hear the term "bibbit" much here in central PA....exactly what are they???

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2002, 04:57 AM »
crappie_attitude, :'( :'(
What’s the hot jig out your way for perch? Do you fish sayers dam by any chance? I also would like to know what a "bibbit" is? Anyway I am still looking for Arnold Fairy Jigs.  :-/ :'(
Morrocco Mole...
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2002, 12:18 PM »
I fish Sayers year round.  It's the one place you're almost guaranteed to catch some fish.  I mean, the lake is just infested with perch.  Some decent walleye too (at least in the spillway).  I don't think I've ever actually had to "jig" for perch.  I just plunk my jig down the hole, hold it a foot off the bottom, and POW!.  Sometimes I'll catch three or four fish on a single minnow.  As long as there's some type of meat on the hook, they will usually eat it.  I've had my best luck on chartruese, white, or flourescent orange jigs, size 10.  Nothing fancy....just a plain painted jighead with a black eye painted on and a waxworm or minnow.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2002, 06:51 PM »
Mole,
 Years ago I bought some Arnold Fairy jigs at Rick's in Maiden Ck. You could give them a call; they have a nice selection of tackle anyway- of course you'd probably have to fish Ontelaunee while you were up there. I'm assuming you tried Gordons- think I saw them there; but could have been a while ago. Still have a couple in red, and chart. Good on gills as well as crappies.

bussman

« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2002, 06:21 AM »

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2002, 02:55 PM »
ok, i mainly fish for perch, and have a system.  I use a 1/8 oz gold/chart. swedish pimple, with a hali chain on it.  i then tie a small red jig on the line, about a foot above the spoon.  I always tip each with at least 3 maggots.  

if the perch arent hitting the spoon aggressively, i change it to a hali spoon, perch color, number 35.

i am going to be experimenting with salmo chubbies this winter.

Lance

Ice_Dog

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2002, 04:02 PM »
Jigging has been wicked slow this year.  Last year we couldn't hardly keep our lines in the water.  I remember one day last year when we released a couple of yellow perch that were 14 inches.  These were some of the biggest perch I have ever seen and at the end of the day we felt good about releasing them.

bill m. white

jack spoons
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2003, 10:51 AM »
hello fellow ice fishermen.  do any of you know where i can procure jack spoons for perch ice fishing.  i live in michgan and i was informed that a maker is located upstate mi.  i know a lot of canadian ice fishermen use them.  any information would be appreciated.  also, has any been doing any ice fishing in lake simcoe?  let me know how you have been doing.  good luck fishing.

bill white

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2003, 03:51 PM »
Inside tip for monster perch- #12, glow in the dark, white and chartreuse teardrop. Pierce a perch minnow thru his eye sockets with the teardrop. Spray paint your small sinkers gold, and attach 1 or 2 to your line for some flash. Fish 10-15 feet of water, and watch both of your poles closely or you may lose your favorite one!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh- and bring along some ben gay for your arms. You'll need it................  Whitey.

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2003, 04:27 PM »
rat phinky is the way to go for perch.. put a small wax worm on and they go crazy

ICE_FISHERMAN_3094

« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2003, 04:40 PM »
hello all, i usually catch most of my perch and a 1/8 oz yellow or white jig.  tipping them with waxies or meal worms seems to work best, but minnows cannot be beat either.  perch are great because they school and where there is one, they is sure to be many more to come.  good luck!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2003, 06:11 AM »
Lived a mile from Lake Erie in Michigan most of my life.When things got rough I would put on a Very small Swedish Pimple with a dropper line about 4".The Pimple would have Prism tape on one side and yellow on the other.We the baited up with a minnow head,then tap the jig on the bottom and raise about 6 to 8"s off the bottom,jig easy then let sit for 15 to 20 seconds.It worked for me for 30 years and walleye will occasionaly hit it....good luck

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2003, 04:43 AM »
What lake has jumbo perch in Michigan, the biggest one i've gotton thru the ice was at wolf lake and it was 9 inches.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2003, 04:46 AM »
Rat finkies and mousies or wigglers      killers.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline first ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Watch your eyes boys, watch your eyes
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2003, 03:35 AM »
Skulldugary - Excellent I do the samething only with a small kastmaster pull the hook and go with a dropper line three inches below with a dot tied on baited with some spikes. Flash brings um in and they hit the dot works great I'm surprised more guys aren't doing it.   ;D ;D
Go early , stay late

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2003, 04:20 PM »
An earlier post indicated that perch eyes were illegal in new york state.

This is news to me.
Can anyone substantiate?

Thanks,
PerchEyes
The tug is the drug.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.