Author Topic: Show me your sleds!!!  (Read 159093 times)

Offline hulv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Show me your sleds!!!
« Reply #180 on: Oct 18, 2009, 10:33 AM »
OK here is what I have come up with in the off season     
the pics were from my phone   sorry if they suck

this is the "sled" or mortar mixing bucket I bought from the home depot. $11.99

here are the UHMW runners I put on it got em from EBay $19.00 for 10 pcs. I only used 4 of em so I have extras to replace them with I carefully laid it all out and everything is straight counterbored and even

well I like to be comfortable so I got a gamma seal lid $7.00 and attached a boat seat $35.00 to it I have found a short bucket to attach it to (hard to bend down....   something is in the way??? might have something to do with the BEER laughs the old lady while I am in full ice gear trying buckets in the livingroom)  the gamma seal ring stays on the bucket and I can remove the seat by spinning it on or off  and I have built in  waterproof storage for the electronics

and last I have a couple of kitty litter buckets freebie attached and a little shelf (freebie.... you laugh at me I am cutting up the cutting board) to hold my Joe and some bait and the such   the kitty litter buckets are just a hair larger than my fishing buckets so they don't get stuck together  (theres that d**n BEER)

just enough room behind the buckets for the auger....      I think this just might work.

I know I am not the only person in the offseason to make a sled   lets see them.

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Oct 18, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Nothing fancy.  Jet Sled SUV.  I carry a fold up chair to sit in.  Too old to sit on a bucket all day.

Offline Burl Ives

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Nov 04, 2009, 01:40 PM »

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #183 on: Nov 07, 2009, 07:01 AM »
Here’s my sled circa 2006… Jet Sled Jr. “pimped out” w/ PVC structure and Petty-blue plywood decks.

Kicking around a revised edition for the 09/10 season… I was trying to get the IS.com mod’s to start a new topic forum dedicated to custom built sleds or sled modifications… there are some really creative dudes on here and plenty of inspiration to draw from when the time comes to build.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #184 on: Nov 07, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I like the sled Dizzy, is that a built in beer holder by the cooler?
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #185 on: Nov 07, 2009, 11:50 AM »

I like the sled Dizzy, is that a built in beer holder by the cooler?

Ha ha, it could be!  ;D

No, it holds my transducer when moving from hole-to-hole... it swings outboard the sled so the water doesn't drain into the sled (there is a 1" drain hole in the bottom of the pipe elbow there).

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #186 on: Nov 07, 2009, 12:16 PM »
Ha ha, it could be!  ;D

No, it holds my transducer when moving from hole-to-hole... it swings outboard the sled so the water doesn't drain into the sled (there is a 1" drain hole in the bottom of the pipe elbow there).
Looks like you've thought of everything, it's a nice setup!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #187 on: Nov 07, 2009, 05:24 PM »
I got a little inspiration on this site for my sled, thanks Dizzy.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Nov 17, 2009, 02:38 PM »
how much did all that pvc and fixtures run ya bart?
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:47 PM »
I "built" this ski/Thule roof rack sled a couple years ago.  I just shortened the skis so it fits my DX3000 a bit better.  Built from FREE curbside skis and a roof rack I inherited, and a bit of angle aluminum.  The roof rack pops off the skis by loosening the clamps.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Another project I've been working on over the summer.  I built a box to put on top of my JetSled XL out of 1/4" plywood and some 1/2"x1/2" pine framing.  My first experience with West Marine epoxy.  That was fun.  Some black paint, piano hinges.  Some aluminum stock
to for door edges.  One door opens by itself.  When you open the other one, it opens the second as well.  My XL has UHMW strips for wear protection on the bottom.  And I added an aluminum backer plate to the hitch eye-bolts for reinforcement. I also picked up a heavy duty two hitch for it.  The box weighs just a bit more than the sled itself.  My only regret is building it ~12" tall on the sides.  I think 9" would have been plenty.  I still need to add a cord to keep the door from falling all the way back. 
Sorry about the flash reflections in one of the pictures.

MD

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:07 AM »
Mainedog-Dou you need to recess the screws into the bottom of the ski's? Or is it not a big deal?
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:59 AM »
Mainedog-Dou you need to recess the screws into the bottom of the ski's? Or is it not a big deal?
Yes.  I used machine screws and counter-sunk them.  They are slightly sunk (i.e. deeper than flush to the plastic).

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:05 PM »
Yes.  I used machine screws and counter-sunk them.  They are slightly sunk (i.e. deeper than flush to the plastic).
Thanks man. I'm going to try pimping my jet sled out tomorrow. I've got access to old ski's free wood and pvc and tools. I'm just not all that handy. Wish me luck. I'll be sure to post pics once my old lady finds the darn camera cord. I want to go totally nuts with it but can only do what I'm capable of. Any lil tidbits you can throw my way would be a big help. It will probably be something I'll always be messing with so I'm sure I won't be happy after one day. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Nov 28, 2009, 08:43 PM »
I couldn't find the camera cord so here are a couple phone pics. I had some fun doing it. I'll probably be messing with it for a while. It needs some paint. I'm thinking black and hot pink.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #195 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:52 AM »
how much did all that pvc and fixtures run ya bart?

I don't recall but it wasn't exactly cheap, the joints get costly...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:57 AM »

I don't recall but it wasn't exactly cheap, the joints get costly...

I imagin the PVC connectors are too...  :o :o

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Nov 29, 2009, 12:00 PM »
I couldn't find the camera cord so here are a couple phone pics. I had some fun doing it. I'll probably be messing with it for a while. It needs some paint. I'm thinking black and hot pink.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

no when you sit on the seat does the front end lift up?

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:07 PM »
no when you sit on the seat does the front end lift up?
You would think it would but, being how wide my frame is it doesn't. I'm sure you can tell by looking at it that the seat was kind of an after thought. I got lucky with some of it. The sled rests inside the frame so it's convertable. Ski's for the long haul out, then pop it out to hole hop my spot on the lake.
 I had my little brother put everything to the test (375lbs). I was half expecting the sled to cave in in the middle without screwing the sled to the 2x4's. He stood in it and it didn't budge. I didn't think the seat stood a chance in heck. Call me evil but I was almost hoping to see it flip over when he plopped his big rear on the seat. No dice...Better luck next time. Just so you know I was ready with my cam phone when he sat down. I would have shared for sure (Sorry Tank). I'll probably do my Jr sled soon. I'll be sure to have those ski's shifted farther to the front with phone in hand.
The seats came from my canoe. That shelf is just wide enough for me to bungy down both canoe seats for the kiddos. It all worked out pretty slick.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #199 on: Nov 29, 2009, 05:40 PM »
you'll enjoy it more, because you built it! good job, and have fun tinkering.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:00 PM »

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:16 PM »
you'll enjoy it more, because you built it! good job, and have fun tinkering.
Thanks Pooley. Wait til you see my paint job. More pics to come. I'm also not handy with a paint brush but, I'll have some fun with that too!

Offline tankdelivers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:39 AM »
You would think it would but, being how wide my frame is it doesn't. I'm sure you can tell by looking at it that the seat was kind of an after thought. I got lucky with some of it. The sled rests inside the frame so it's convertable. Ski's for the long haul out, then pop it out to hole hop my spot on the lake.
 I had my little brother put everything to the test (375lbs). I was half expecting the sled to cave in in the middle without screwing the sled to the 2x4's. He stood in it and it didn't budge. I didn't think the seat stood a chance in heck. Call me evil but I was almost hoping to see it flip over when he plopped his big rear on the seat. No dice...Better luck next time. Just so you know I was ready with my cam phone when he sat down. I would have shared for sure (Sorry Tank). I'll probably do my Jr sled soon. I'll be sure to have those ski's shifted farther to the front with phone in hand.
The seats came from my canoe. That shelf is just wide enough for me to bungy down both canoe seats for the kiddos. It all worked out pretty slick.
Dude, I don't weigh 375, i'm 335, ya ba$$!ard. I had a couple visions come to me while checkin out all these sleds. We'll have to get crackin on it soon.  Ice is almost here

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #203 on: Dec 12, 2009, 05:47 AM »
Nice looking sleds guys. As long as you are happy and it suits your needs, it's perfect. My first sled was just a wooden bow with some old wooden skiis on it. It was good enough til I had so much gear that I had to upgrade. I did give it away and it is still in use today. It has made it trhough 4 different people with only minor tough ups. I am looking at my sled to do some upgrades now.

But first I am going fishing today!!! ;D
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Thsi is what I use early ice. A few mods to it. Wood reinforcement both front and back. Some tie downs to bungie gear on. I like to use a bungie net.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:27 AM »

MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline bjeff42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish forced to work!!
« Reply #206 on: Dec 12, 2009, 03:52 PM »

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #207 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:07 PM »
love that foldable frame Walleye64 ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jam9267

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #208 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:31 PM »
What is the best way to attach the wood framing to the downhill skis?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #209 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:55 PM »
sweet!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.