The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Longnose Gar pics of 2/01/08  (Read 3895 times)

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Longnose Gar pics of 2/01/08
« on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:03 AM »
Well, did pretty good for the evening gar spearing session.Me on the left, luckyfish on the right. Got 3 of 'em, hit another and missed two more.We ended up seeing about a dozen of them before it got dark. Be heading out there tomorrow as well to see if we can put a hurtin' on them again.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
Re: Longnose Gar pics of 2/01/08
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Way to go!!  Sure are mean lookin fish, any good to eat?  Are they as aggresive as pike?

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:22 AM »
I honestly dunno how they taste. They don't LOOK appetizing. But my buddy filet them up last night so maybe he tried some broiled gar. I guess their eggs are poisonous too.  They aren't really that aggressive with a ten pound spear attached to their backs.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2008, 08:24 AM »
I honestly dunno how they taste. They don't LOOK appetizing. But my buddy filet them up last night so maybe he tried some broiled gar. I guess their eggs are poisonous too.  They aren't really that aggressive with a ten pound spear attached to their backs.

Ive read and heard they taste great but are a pain to clean
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:23 AM »
The taxidermist I go to said you have to cut the scale / skin with tin snips.  Once you get all the meat out, you can set the carcase on a table and it will hold it's shape.  Nice fish guys. 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:50 PM »
Great fish guys!  How did you attract them in?  Did you decoy them and if so, did they attack the decoy or just "slide" on in?  Just wondering how passive or aggresive they'd be in the winter.  Great job! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Here, maybe this will help. It's what I origionally posted up in the Michigan Lower General forum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, so here it goes. I rode the old wheel horse out to the shanty today to grab a few things outta it. On my way out, I noticed the ice was crystal clear black. You could see all of the structure on the bottom, weeds, holes, etc. So I decided I was going to move the shanty to a new location. I get the shanty to where I want it, then head across the lake to my buddies house to grab my super spud (custom BIG spud for chopping shanty holes) On the way back nearing the shanty, I am looking down through the ice and I notice weeds.......then I take a second look..... ...........   They were gar pike! I idled a bit farther, shut down the wheel horse and ran back to where I saw the gars. I could not believe my eyes as I laid on the ice, looking down through it into the water. I counted 26 gar pike just from the view looking down. They were all heading in one direction, slowly. I followed them along as I catapillaird across the ice, keeping my eyes to them below. I seen gar pike as long as 45", no joke. They averaged around 3 1/2' though. As I followed them, they just slowly turned and made a big circle around the hole I was in. These things were travelling six to seven fish wide, and there was an endless line of them. I am willing to bet there was every bit as many as 40 fish in this weird gar circle. So we set up the shanty and my buddy took a wack at four of them with his spear (he must be a bad shot) but they were about 10 feet down. Has anybodsy ever seen this before??? I wonder if they do this to round up the baitfish in the center of this circle, then they gorge the heck outta them?? Or is it a spawning habit?? It was almost like watching an episode on the Discovery Channel or something.Or maybe like looking into an aqaurium. Definitely one of the strangest things I have ever witnessed on the ice.
The largest my firend is holding to the right, was 46 3/4" long. I hit another that had to of been well over 50"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.