Author Topic: Visiting your great province!  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Visiting your great province!
« on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Two weeks ago I was visiting friends in Regina, and ended up fishing Pasqua lake for a half a day....twice!  Had a great time, caught some fish, and traded a few ice fishing tips from the Yukon.

By the way, about that fish you guys call a tulibee.  Several fisherman I talked with on the lake considered them a nuisance. I caught some about two pounds, filleted them and cooked them up for our hosts.  First of all, there were no worms or cysts in any of the meat or along the backbone.  Secondly, they look an awful lot like one of our species of whitefish.  Lastly, everybody thought they were great!

Ted

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Re: Visiting your great province!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Two weeks ago I was visiting friends in Regina, and ended up fishing Pasqua lake for a half a day....twice!  Had a great time, caught some fish, and traded a few ice fishing tips from the Yukon.

By the way, about that fish you guys call a tulibee.  Several fisherman I talked with on the lake considered the a nuisance. I caught some about three pounds, filleted them and cooked them up for our hosts.  First of all, there were no worms or cysts in any of the meat or along the backbone.  Secondly, they look an awful lot like one of our species of whitefish.  Lastly, everybody thought they were great!

Ted

Yuck, they look alot like whites but I dont see myself wanting to eat them. Everyone weve ever opened up had worms, are you sure you didnt catch whites? You have me curious now.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:13 PM »
There are quite a few nice whites in pasqua.  The tulees don't really get to be as big as three pounds.
Still counting.....

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Yuck, they look alot like whites but I dont see myself wanting to eat them. Everyone weve ever opened up had worms, are you sure you didnt catch whites? You have me curious now.

Well the guys who took me fishing said they were tulibees, as did the other fishermen there.  

Caught them jigging a small, bright, spoon about eight feet off the bottom in fifty feet of water the first day.  Two days later it was a two inch silver Pimple about the same in 30 ft of water, but in a different spot. They were about 12-14" long, quite flat, and weighed about 2 lb.  Like you, everybody said they were wormy, but when I filleted them there were no worms or cysts at all.  Not a trace.

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:48 PM »
There are quite a few nice whites in pasqua.  The tulees don't really get to be as big as three pounds.

You're no doubt correct.  Now that I think about it, they were quite flat sided, more like 2 lbs, and I have edited my OP to reflect that.  The mouth looked like a whitefish, but everybody said they were tulibee.

Ted

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:49 PM »
There are quite a few nice whites in pasqua.  The tulees don't really get to be as big as three pounds.
I agree, he most likely caught Lake Whitefish.

I have seen many tullibee cut into and every time they had worms.

Many lakes have both species.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Hi Yukoner,

Good to hear you had fun in Sask. and that you had a chance to try our ice fishing. :tipup: <*}}}}>{

Tullibees are also called Ciscos here in Sask.
They do resemble whitefish, but tullibees have and upward turned mouth at the the tip of the snout and a whitefish's mouth is located below the tip of the snout.

Also they usually don't get too large and the meat is usually full of tapeworm larva resembling little pockets of tapioca pudding. :P

Some tullibees are tapeworm larva free, but they are very few and far between in the Qu'Appelle Lakes chain or LML.
You may have been lucky and found some parasite free ones. :)

WW

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, and all the feedback guys.  Now, I am really curious, as everyone who saw the fish said they were tulibee.

Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:07 PM »

Hi Layne,

When I brought the first one up, I said, "Hey! Nice little whitefish.", but they all said it was a tulibee, and that they were not worth keeping.  The fish looked firm and healthy, so I filleted it, and the rest is as posted above. :D

Ted

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Here are 2 photos of a tullibee/cisco I caught last winter at Echo Lake.

Here is a photo of a whitefish I caught at LML, darn sun in the eyes,lol. :laugh:

WW

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:16 PM »
......Tullibees are also called Ciscos here in Sask.
They do resemble whitefish, but tullibees have and upward turned mouth at the the tip of the snout and a whitefish's mouth is located below the tip of the snout............Also they usually don't get too large and the meat is usually full of tapeworm larva resembling little pockets of tapioca pudding. :P

Same here, Water Wolf, but they don't have worms, and are 6-10 inches in length.  Most are used, dead, for trolling for lake trout in the summer, set lines for pike or burbot in winter, ..........or pickled for snackin'. :)

Thanks for the welcome!
Ted

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Here are 2 photos of a tullibee/cisco I caught last winter at Echo Lake.

Thanks for posting the pictures.  That is what I was catching.  The thing I noticed right away, was the tail seemed to be deeper forked, with the ends more sharply pointed than our whitefish.

Ted

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Good to hear you had a good time in the province, spread the word and good luck ice fishing!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Thanks, Beachcomber, I have already spread the word to a few buddies!

Warming up here, and am heading out tomorrow for two days, for lake trout and whitefish.  BTW, how do you guys fish when targeting whitefish?

Ted

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.