The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Hand auger indentification needed please  (Read 956 times)

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hand auger indentification needed please
« on: Aug 30, 2012, 07:17 PM »
My buddy bought a used hand auger at a yard sale for $5 but when he showed me and asked who made I was stumped. It has a removable head just like a nills, it has an offset handle and the handle and auger section screw together. Its been painted several times so I have no idea what the original color is. I think it needs to be sharpened but he seems to think its just fine. Well he will find out when he hits the ice this year. Thanks.

Paul

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Hand auger indentification needed please
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2012, 07:22 PM »
We are gonna need a few pics...

See if there is a brand stamped on the blade somewhere.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2012, 10:39 AM »
It could be an old Finbore. Post some pics.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Does it have replaceable blades or is the head the blades and all one piece.  If one piece prob'ly old  fin-bore.  I had one like that and the blades got bent. I replaced the head with the new style that has curved separate blades and it cuts ice like butter.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Probably a Fin-bore and if so a nice find. They sharpen like a Nils.
A lot of them had black blades, orange shaft, and chrome offset handles.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2012, 01:29 PM »
The head is one piece and it is black and the offset handle is chrome too. Can you still find heads for them or do you have to just sharpen them? As for pics I have no clue on how to do so but I will have to learn so I can post my catch's. Thanks for the info guys.

Paul

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2012, 01:57 PM »
The head is one piece and it is black and the offset handle is chrome too. Can you still find heads for them or do you have to just sharpen them? As for pics I have no clue on how to do so but I will have to learn so I can post my catch's. Thanks for the info guys.
Paul

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0
Personally I use Photobucket...

1. Upload your pictures to your photobucket account.
2. Resize any pictures you'd like to post to a maximum of 400x600 pixels. Larger pictures distort the forum page and take longer to load. This can be done easily in Photobucket using the "Edit" options.
3. Open your photobucket album and find the photo you want to add. Place your cursor over the picture and a drop down menu will appear. Left click on "IMG Code". (this will copy the photo info)
 4. Go to your post you want to add it to on iceshanty.com, right click and "paste" the info.
(if you copy the image code, it already has the "img" tags on the address and no further action is needed.)

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2012, 08:57 AM »
  If the blade isn't pitted with rust or large chips then good chance it'll be fine to sharpen.
With a little modification you can mount a Nils blade on a Finbore. 
That would be drilling a new hole in the auger(Finbore) to match up with the Nils blade.
Note that the fighting on the auger won't be lined up with the receiver on a Nils blade but it really doesn't matter.
If you'll never use the Finbore blade again then you can modify(cut) the fighting to match up with a Nils and drill the new hole.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.