Author Topic: Missy Red Bridge Recon  (Read 10253 times)

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
Missy Red Bridge Recon
« on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Went out to Red Bridge at Mississinewa.
                 Ice from Red Bridge Marina to Dam, Open water except for coves upstream of that. Pics are standing on top of Red Bridge looking towards Dam, The Red Bridge Boat Ramp looking straight out. The Holes I cut at Cove at the Ramp. The far hole thickness. I weigh 150, slowly worked my way out to center of cove at boat ramp. I cut 3, 10 inch holes. Ice increased in thickness from 4 to just shy of 6 inches as i worked further from bank. Edges generally bad but found several places to walk straight out. Tested several pressure cracks that appear to be tightening and seemed surprisingly solid. Ice i cut was not really honeycombed or grey, just felt a little soft as I turned the auger. Same consistency throughout ice, no layers. Just checking ice, no fishing equipment with me. Will check the main body out from the big point you see in the pic from the bridge in morning. Heres some accurate info as of noon today ya"ll. Do what you will with it and be safe. After having walked around a bit and putting the blades to the ice, i feel like I'll be comfortable pecking around in the shallows after a couple more nights. Good luck my friends.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Missy Red Bridge Recon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2018, 03:27 PM »
That might be the best report of ice conditions I've ever seen on here. Thanks, beats the dropped rock from bridge all to pieces. What was the clarity like not that it needs to be clear.

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2018, 03:51 PM »
U forgot to drop the mic!!! Thanks for a truly solid report. I only got u by like 150, bit if it gets tight maybe we will meet out there!!

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Very nice report well done and thanks!!!!! Be safe!!!

Offline bev

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:39 AM »
I have to agree the best report I have seen in a long time. be safe.

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:53 PM »
 Update...
   I went back out at noon today. Last nights cold did the ice a lot of good. The water just under and upstream of the bridge is now glazed over, yesterday, everything but the cove in the top right corner of pic was open water. Looking From Red bridge towards dam the ice is forming up left side now. Open water is shrinking. The edge has tightened and thickened considerably overnight. I could walk on wherever i pleased.  The holes I cut yesterday were frozen over and could not be broken through. I cut four holes today. First was 8 feet further out from yesterdays, into middle of boat launch cove. One closer to shore.(big improvement there). Then two working out to middle at mouth of cove. I measured 6 plus inches consistently in everything i drilled today. Even closer to bank (just little shy of 6 there). there are shad everwhere out here. On the ice, in the ice, on the bottom, everywhere.  Ice was very vocal when i was walking around on it today!! I love the sounds it makes when its freezing up!! I'm gonna work around the boat launch cove with a beemoth where i know its solid in the morning.  I'll let ya"ll know if I get into em heavy.

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:18 PM »
 :o
Thanks for the updates

Offline I Walton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Excellent report Tennessee Freeze! I went across Red Bridge at 3:00 PM just after you. The area of open water is smaller but there were a number of areas of open water around the lake. The "rock Test" was not good. The rock went through the ice like the stock market today. No more than one inch of ice near the bridge support and even some open water around the support. PLEASE be careful as the thickness will vary greatly. I was surprised at the amount of open water after a night where the temperature was at 9 degrees. I did see about one dozen bald eagles along the Wabash and the Mississinewa. Do not venture out alone and treat this like first ice even though some areas will have over 6 inches! 

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Missy Red Bridge Recon(Updated)
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Yes another great report-be careful i may check it out tomorrow myself-BE SAFE EVERYONE!!!!!

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Looks like me and reel ice hole will give liston creek a go in the morning hoping the bite will be good!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:15 AM »
great reports Tenn.

that last pic shoulda been titled BAIT!!! lol 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline hoagie30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Thanks for the update . I am itching to get back out on the ice.

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Took a couple of pics from Red Bridge when I left out today. The entirety of the main body is now froze over. Granted it is just "skim" in many places. It was still good to see open water close up. The edges have tightened considerably in the 48 hours. I have marked the guardrail post on Red bridge so i can take pics from the same general spot. A time lapse of sorts. It was cool to watch the lake freeze over for round 3 this year. There were a dozen or so people out, scattered here and there throughout the Lake. Mostly in the coves.  A few shantys. Mostly just guys on buckets. Caught a few, nothing amazing. Was good to wet a line and feel some weight. I mostly poked around the Red bridge marina, everything i cut today was 6 to 7 inches thick. Be careful if we get the projected snow. It will make the lake look good from the surface when in reality the thickness will vary greatly. Good Luck to everyone.

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:33 PM »
I was north of red bridge today old road area marking some fish pretty slow bite for me ice was 4-5in popping and cracking like crazy hopefully no snow and this wind lays down BE SAFE AND FISH ON!!!!!!

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Me and reel ice hole just left had a good time fishing together i ended up with 20 and he had 10. He got on the ice a little later than me though. Had bout 6 inches where we were at. Popping and cracking the whole time.

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Thank you for the report.. we will be expecting it from now on..Lol

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Real light bite today.... fish were a lil spooky, water was a lil cloudy, and my butt was puckered all day long LMAO!!

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Talk some in to it today.

Chasing a dream on the water.

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:44 PM »
Nice fish! I worked the black/chrome jiggin rap for a while with no luck. Looks like i should have gone with the green tiger. Ice fishing on Super Bowl Sunday! How Awesome is this!!

Offline I Walton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:16 AM »
I went over to Red Bridge and the marina saturday. There were at least 3 big signs that said NO FISHING  in the marina area! I have not seen them before, anyone know what's up? There were 5 people fishing but heard the bite was slow.

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Little slushy on the top today. The bite was lite but guys were catching em this morning. I could see about 10 people out. Thanks to the two guys who showed me their vexlars and gave me a demo!! I did not get your names. Yall shoot me a p.m. if you read this. They were killin em when i left the ice. 6 inches thick at all holes drilled today.

Offline slipknott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:02 AM »
no fishing is just for summer time when marina is open

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Definitely a better bite for me today ice held up pretty good some edges were soft and water on top but should be great next week end

Offline basshead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Edges look a little iffy in spots but did manage a good mess. Nice yo meet ys Tennessee you talked to me and my buddy this moring.

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Would boards be needed in the morning??

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Would boards be needed in the morning??
you know we dont need no stinking boards brother just pucker that thing up and go! Lol.

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Involuntary response lol

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2018, 05:29 PM »
you know we dont need no stinking boards brother just pucker that thing up and go! Lol.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline bev

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:38 AM »
nice report thanks TennesseeFreeze

Offline bev

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:38 AM »
nice fish