New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Willams beach for walleye on Oneida  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Jigging_Fool

• IceShanty Rookie
Willams beach for walleye on Oneida
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Hey guys just wondering what the scoop is for wallies out at Williams beach for Oneida lake. I heard they were hitting near the islands, but i didn't get many hits last time i went out. If anyone is willing to give me a more accurate report on how deep to fish and how far from the islands that would be great. Looking to feed the family.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Willams beach for walleye on Oneida
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Well far as eyes they can be caught in a variety of depths , I have caught them from 16-40’ they are structurally oriented, , A map or gps will help a lot in your search ,

Offline Jigging_Fool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:23 PM »
I'm talking specifically about Williams beach on the South Shore of Oneida. I do not have the means to check depths with electronics.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:33 PM »

Sorry in your first post you ask for depth ,

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:34 PM »
I'm talking specifically about Williams beach on the South Shore of Oneida. I do not have the means to check depths with electronics.

If you have a smart phone you can download Navionics. That should get you close.

When I was a kid we never used electronics and we had a pretty good idea what depth we were in and if we were near structure.

Just had to punch a lot of holes and count how many cranks off bottom you were. Seems like yesterday.

Offline Jigging_Fool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:40 PM »
Is it a free app?

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Is it a free app?

It cost me $10 4 years ago. It might be $15 now.

Offline Jigging_Fool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Damn, I'm in the process of moving and have limited funds

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:10 PM »

You are on the computer so access is at your finger tips

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:23 PM »
15 bucks well worth it

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Navionics has a free app, buy a lake map also

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:50 PM »
My wife is always telling me what a cheap hobby ice fishing is.... ;D

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:24 PM »

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Here's a nautical chart that you can add to your computer or your phone. It's not Navionics; but it's free...
Williams Beach is not marked; but is just west of Valentine's Beach on the map.
I haven't heard how frozen the channel is, so be careful out there.  :tipup:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14788.shtml

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:04 PM »
cheap way is follow  the crowd  once you start catching fish  save the cords

Offline crappyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • no, it's not spelled wrong, I'm just not any good
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:40 PM »
read my posts on the oneida lake general thread and also spend the time looking back at the old reports. What you need to know is there.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Jigging.Fool..Like reeleyez mentioned, none of us had electronics in the old days and we all caught plenty of fish on any lake. We drilled/spudded a hole, dropped  our lure ( or depth sounder lead weight if bait fishing), down until it hit bottom, walked backwards until lure or sounder popped up and out of hole...pace that off back to hole and you have  your water depth.  Go out a little further and repeat process checking depth as you go. It's an Easy way to find a particular depth of water that has been productive for others, or for finding a hump..... or drop off near an island  , bouy , or shoreline, especially if no one is around.
 Have fun and good luck....old school ice fishing can be fun and productive too.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:27 PM »
. I do not have the means to check depths with electronics.
Sorry, I should have posted my reply using this ...
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:27 AM »
Yo Jiggin Fool,

First welcome to the site as a relatively new Iceshanty adherent. Secondly, kudos for your efforts to attain expertise from this forum. As you can see many of our resident Oneida experts are eager to help a newbie. It is however a bit disconcerting when one expects almost instant gratification, instant knowledge of the topography, what lures to use, where to gain access, fishing habits electronic equipment available etc.etc. Now I'm not saying you are one of those people.

The accumulation of knowledge as you can read in the previous posts has been garnered by many, through years of hard work, many drags, virtually thousands of holes cut first by hand., hundreds of dollars spent on the newest lure  of the day. in short. a life time of effort to fine tune the pursuit  of the ever illusive walleye, perch or flat fish encountered in the great Oneida Basin.

I am always amazed at the willingness of our old and new sages to go out of their way to introduce a newbie to the ice fishing platform.  I am equally aware of a slight reticence to imbue the newbie with all this accumulation of knowledge with out encountering some of the work ethic involved to attain it. At the same time, you will not find many who will send you the co-ordinates of there favorite  fishing holes. It may behoove you to contact some of your Oneida fishing idols via private message (PM). Even then you will find this same reluctance to hand you all their accumulated knowledge on a platter. As you progress, work and earn your way into the ice fishing community there will be many such Oneida tutors willing to guide you along your way grass hopper, just not happy to see you cutting a hole 10 feet from their shanty. Proceed with a willingness to learn and be respectful of those who have learned. You will do well. All that being said, this old coot is always happy to cut a hole in the ice with a fellow fisherman or fisherwoman. If you gain nothing else from this post, please  stay safe out there  Buy yourself a spud and use it. SPUD SPUD SPUD

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:43 PM »
I have learned a lot from reading the posts on here for the last few yrs, have sent out some pm's and have gotten some very useful pointers. The best way i have found to figure Oneida out is to set your mind to fishing a certain area and fish! Take the knowledge and info on this site with you and its all trial and error from there. It's like teaching a pup to hunt..... a lot of work but one day it will start to click and that's the fun part.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:38 AM »
Very true moose , lots of trial  and error , even after 30 plus years walking on Oneida I’m still learning and experimenting, like reeleyz said lots of years without electronics , maps and a compass back then , one of the ways we found fish was to separate to locate , and have some sort of signal to let the other know that you had scored

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.