Author Topic: black betty reel?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Toxicityy

• IceShanty Rookie
black betty reel?
« on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:48 PM »
I'm looking at the black betty reel and don't know if it's worth the money or not. Does anyone have experience with it? If so, what rod do you use with it (medium, UL, etc.)

Thanks all
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: black betty reel?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:07 PM »
They are very simple reels. I got two of them last year. One on a UL and the other on a medium. So far I'm happy with them. You do have to strip line off by hand if you are using light jigs for pan and you are the drag. Haven't used the medium with heavier jigs yet so I can't say if that will free spool to the bottom. Hope that helps with your decision.

:icefish:

Offline ice_engineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:42 PM »
I bought one last year and have been happy with it.  It does take some time getting used to not having a drag and having to hand strip the line.  The plus side though is that your jig stays put and does not spin like it does on a standard reel.  I would buy another one.

Offline swamp puppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:45 PM »
two thumbs up. love it.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:20 PM »
can you tells us more about the no drag thanks
what is and what should never be

Offline ice_engineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:37 PM »
The handle for the reel is connected directly to the line spool.  If you catch a big one (think large catfish) you have to be smart as you are working the fish in, there is no drag there to help you from pulling too hard on the line.  I have lost a couple of catfish because of this, but was not too heartbroken as they were only going to get their picture taken and then released.  When catching crappies or sunnies, even really nice ones its not a big deal.  I have yet to catch a big walleye with mine yet, there may be some hard feelings if that one breaks loose.... >:(

One other note, there is a nut opposite the handle that you can tighten or loosen depending on how hard you want the line to go out when the pole is just sitting there on its own.

Offline Baitrix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:46 PM »
they seem expensive

Offline Toxicityy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Well I'm buying one and  will get back to everyone on how I like it. Thank you for everyone's helpful input!
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:35 PM »
they seem expensive
These are the inline reels I got last year. You can get them for $39.99 each from fish 307.
:icefish:

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:38 PM »
( 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 Inline Ice Reels )  just bought two.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:14 PM »
( 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 Inline Ice Reels )  just bought two.

My go to inlines from 12' to 50' deep. Also got the Teardrop for walleyes so far loving it

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:38 AM »

last year I got a black Betty and the 6061 , I liked the 6061 so well I pick up another , they are only used for perch , walleyes and lakers no complaints , the black Betty did a nice job on the flat fish ,[ craps ,sunnies, gills]

Offline beagler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never misses
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I just ordered one. ;D

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:44 PM »
The handle for the reel is connected directly to the line spool.  If you catch a big one (think large catfish) you have to be smart as you are working the fish in, there is no drag there to help you from pulling too hard on the line.  I have lost a couple of catfish because of this, but was not too heartbroken as they were only going to get their picture taken and then released.  When catching crappies or sunnies, even really nice ones its not a big deal.  I have yet to catch a big walleye with mine yet, there may be some hard feelings if that one breaks loose.... >:(

One other note, there is a nut opposite the handle that you can tighten or loosen depending on how hard you want the line to go out when the pole is just sitting there on its own.
     thank you  ice engineer
what is and what should never be

Offline ice_engineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Your welcome Mr tip up.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:48 PM »
I think they are garbage ,no drag you have to slow they reel down with your hand its like going backwords to me but I don't like a stick with a line tied on to cut down on line twist either but that just my opinion

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.