Author Topic: Hook Quality of Jigs  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
Hook Quality of Jigs
« on: Jan 30, 2010, 03:48 PM »
How do genz worms/fatboys, jammin jigs, fiskas and custom jigs and spins compare in hook quality?  Any particular jig maker(s) have the best quality?

The only jigs I've used are the genz worms/fat boys, these hooks have snapped a few times.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hook Quality of Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I personally have never had any issues with the jammin jigs hooks. 
CJ&S hooks have gone down the hill in recent years.  They used to be really good, but are no longer imo.  If you have ones over
2 years old the hooks are fine on them. 
Hooks on the fiskas have failed on me from time to time.  I think its more from trying to remove solidly hooked fish a few times
than anything else, but a few have failed on me. 
The strongest hooks I have seen on the market, and right up there with the best on sharpness are the ones found on the marmish
jigs,  they are just in a class of their own.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Ive quit buying ratso's/finkees because of breaking hooks, they have cost me and several other people I fish with some trophies.
Genz worms/bugs are better but break after alot of fish have been caught on the same jig.
Northland OK but about like Genz worms, don't hold up to use.
I have never broken a Fiskas hook, they are expensive but sharper and I use em more and more.
Jammin Jigs are good too, especially for the price, haven't had issues with them either.  Never used Marmish, maybe I better try.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:44 PM »
I have had fantastic luck with the Genz Worm but the hook quality is inferior. The hooks are very exceptionally soft and bend easily.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:14 AM »
The problem lies with the hook manufacturer themselves. Hooks nowdays arent built here anymore and getting a properly tempered hook at the sizes we use is near impossible. Mustad is my choice for jig hooks not that I like them its just because they are the only company that makes a small jig hook in a size 12 and 10. When I go smaller I get I get my hooks from Orvis shops again they dont manufacture hooks but they do hold up better than some. Where they come from is beyond me. The best  solution to this is use hemostats to remove the hooks from fish. This method will keep the hook from breaking a little while longer. Also dont leave any "Meat" on the hook to dry while in storage. I too have old jigs from around 25 years ago that are still fishable and plenty of new ones that are junk from busted hooks.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:19 AM »
The problem lies with the hook manufacturer themselves. Hooks nowdays arent built here anymore and getting a properly tempered hook at the sizes we use is near impossible. Mustad is my choice for jig hooks not that I like them its just because they are the only company that makes a small jig hook in a size 12 and 10. When I go smaller I get I get my hooks from Orvis shops again they dont manufacture hooks but they do hold up better than some. Where they come from is beyond me. The best  solution to this is use hemostats to remove the hooks from fish. This method will keep the hook from breaking a little while longer. Also dont leave any "Meat" on the hook to dry while in storage. I too have old jigs from around 25 years ago that are still fishable and plenty of new ones that are junk from busted hooks.

For what they charge these days for a pack of 2 jigs, they should be buying better hooks to make their products on.  Most of them now are made in china, and the quality is iffy at best.  I've been trying to avoid the jigs made there, and instead buying ones that are made in usa, canada, or sweeden.  The quality is better, and it just may save a job or two for some neighbors.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:12 AM »
Some of the most productive jigs...have terrible hook quality...dull or bent points and dull or bent barbs.  I spend a lot of time carefully honing the points...it's far more difficult for the barb and is usually a lost cause.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Seems to be a familiar theme with lack of quality and so many things made in China ???

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2010, 04:19 PM »
dang, you guys are hard on your jigs. don't think I ever broke more than 1 ice jig

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I don't break them, they come that way.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:45 PM »
dang, you guys are hard on your jigs. don't think I ever broke more than 1 ice jig

Do you catch a lot of fish on the same jig?  or do you catch a few and swap them out?
When i start pounding them on one jig, I have a lot of them fail at the most inopportune time.
A lot of certain companies hooks seem to fail with a lot more frequency than others when put
through the same rigors for me.

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:06 PM »
I like Fiskas jigs... they have real sharp hooks.  I also like using CJ%S jigs.  Northland jigs quality seems to be good all around as well.  Some of their jigs feature Mustad ultra point hooks.  As long as you are playing the fish right and have your drag set accordingly, you shouldn't have a problem.   I see line failure occuring before hook failure... unless of course you're using a braided line or super line, and in that case I could imagine seeing rods breaking before hooks.

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:15 PM »
jammin jigs is where its at!

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:29 PM »
I can't give you a comparison to all the others,but the hook strength and sharpness of JB lures lunar grubs were much better than what I get for a popular local jig.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:59 PM »
I went through a whole store rack of demon jigging spoons...the trebles were very bad molds...finally I gave up and just bought it...figuring I will replace the treble regardless.  I bought some VMC trebles.  Had some in the past and they were very good.  The recent ones I bought, well the quality just wasn't the same as the old ones I had.  They look just as nice as the old ones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.