Author Topic: Ice Fishings Biggest Gimmick?  (Read 27841 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishings Biggest Gimmick?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 12, 2009, 04:07 PM »
You just might want to give up biting the line with your teeth to break off the excess....
Nah man. I think it's from chewing on the old school lead splitshots.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: Nov 15, 2009, 10:50 AM »
i'm gonna go ahead and say the rope lights. I had a buddy who had a string and the only way it would be functional is if you wrapped the lights around your hole. I'll stick with the Coleman!

I hate lanterns.  I've got 2 strings of LED christmas lights in my permy.  They work great, no fumes, no stupid 1lb propane cylinders rolling around in my truck, no broken mantles to fix, no broken globe to replace.  I have one of those auto-lighting ones, and globe blew up on me when lighting it 5 years ago.  Haven't really used it much since.

1-3' string of lights isn't enough light of course, I've got 24' of lights in my shack.  I'll lug a battery around if it means I don't have to carry extra propane bottles.

Offline dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Nov 15, 2009, 11:07 AM »
I second the gold and trout!!

I kill big perch with the smallest gold pimple.  Tip the treble with a few spikes.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Nov 15, 2009, 11:14 AM »
The automatic jigger.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #64 on: Nov 15, 2009, 02:00 PM »
BUZZ STIX, bought it, broke it, it sucks >:(
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Nov 16, 2009, 04:39 PM »
The rope light may be good for a permanent shanty. They suck for a portable. The lantern doubles as a great heater. When you start to get that Co head ache, thats when you know youve been out there too long. Unless theyre bitting ofcourse. The buz stick sucks too. They made a mint off that because it seemed as though it would create some new presentation that cant be mimmicked otherwise. What a scam. how about the new seat heaters? I have no use for this without seeing one.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Nov 17, 2009, 11:47 AM »
How much did 24' of rope light cost? Pretty sure a latern is much more cost effective and convenient. I have never had a globe explode on me, I've broken globes but that's my own dumb fault. I can see the benefit in a permanant shack where all you gotta do is hook up your battery but even then how long does a battery keep 24' of lights bright? I don't see a cost/benefit outcome that makes it worth it...

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:35 PM »
How much did 24' of rope light cost? Pretty sure a latern is much more cost effective and convenient. I have never had a globe explode on me, I've broken globes but that's my own dumb fault. I can see the benefit in a permanant shack where all you gotta do is hook up your battery but even then how long does a battery keep 24' of lights bright? I don't see a cost/benefit outcome that makes it worth it...

Not rope lights, christmas lights, and they were 10 bucks.  I tested my little vex battery out on the string and it lasted 8 hours, but I have to plug them into a voltage converter, which I already had.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:22 AM »
hmmm interesting...Festive and functional at the same time...I know some company put out small lengths of led rope lights and they did not impress me.

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Not rope lights, christmas lights........

Did you go with the twinkle lights or the icicles?  ;D

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Nov 18, 2009, 03:54 PM »
A headlamp is the lightest, best thing that has come my way. 3 AAA batteries last forever. An energizer headlamp costs $12. Don't even bother w/ flashlights anymore 'cept when I want the 1 million candlepower along.

As for Gimmicks.
Red hooks
fluorocarbon line

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:16 PM »
I stopped using headlamps for ice fishing.
One time I got a new headlamp and thought it was the coolest thing ever!  8) turns out when it's cold as umm winter batteries don't last as long as one might hope.  :-\ So I came prepared and had some extras in my pocket nice and warm so they would work.  :clap: I installed the new batteries and reach up to click the button and feel the cap that holds the batteries in the ONLY LIGHT SOURCE I BROUGHT WITH ME fall off of the headlamp and magically fall straight down the middle of the hole.   :blink:  Did I metion that there was no moon at all?!  :-[ I'm stupid for not having any more lights with me but...STUPID HEADLAMP!   :%$#!:

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:18 PM »
A headlamp is the lightest, best thing that has come my way. 3 AAA batteries last forever. An energizer headlamp costs $12. Don't even bother w/ flashlights anymore 'cept when I want the 1 million candlepower along.

As for Gimmicks.
Red hooks
fluorocarbon line

Gotta agree here. I've had my Energizer headlamp for over 3 years and haven't had to change the batteries yet. I just cycle through the lights that I want..White(bright), White(dim), White(All) and Red. Great for night fishing and walking the trails back to my truck when I am done.  
jbird68

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #73 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:20 PM »

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Did you go with the twinkle lights or the icicles?  ;D

Actually they would be the LED equivalent of a "C6" size christmas light bullb.  No, they aren't the brightest lights out there, but they are bright enough to read, and that's all I need.  I was pleasantly surprised the first time I lit them up.

Gimmicks.....

From all the complaining I've seen on this forum and from one that I seen last year, those cube-style shacks look like they are more trouble than they are worth.  They are bad in the wind, and it's always windy in the winter.  All the major players are pushing those shacks this year, probably because they are cheap, but if a guy is serious about using a shanty, get a flip-over style like the fish trap or frabill trekker or something of that sort.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:28 PM »
hmmm interesting...Festive and functional at the same time...I know some company put out small lengths of led rope lights and they did not impress me.

Clam did a 3' LED string, I debated on getting them for a long time, and even wired a 12v powerpoint to my vexilar for that purpose, but the $30 price tag is pretty steep for the few lights that are in there, and you'd probably need at least 2 of them to make it workable.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #76 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:35 PM »

From all the complaining I've seen on this forum and from one that I seen last year, those cube-style shacks look like they are more trouble than they are worth.  They are bad in the wind, and it's always windy in the winter.  All the major players are pushing those shacks this year, probably because they are cheap, but if a guy is serious about using a shanty, get a flip-over style like the fish trap or frabill trekker or something of that sort.
I'll agree with that.  Seems to me those cubes would be like a huge sail out there in the wind.  Also, those X4 shantys from Clam were so huge!  The group of guys I go with to MN every year fished out of one.  They are older & don't like to move much.  My buddy & I either fish out of a 2 man or each in a 1 man.  We like to be able to move fast.  Well, you should've seen them trying to break that thing down at night in the middle of a snow storm!  They were screaming like little girls trying to hold that thing down in "The Perfect Storm"!!!  So funny to see & hear.  Especially since I wasn't in it trying to take it down.  I don't think they are making that fortress anymore.  Any 4 man is way too big!  Bring out 2 2 man.  That thing was sooooo heavy also!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:19 PM »
CUBE HATERS!!! j/k. ;) They've got there place. Jigging solo no, way. Fishing with two kids 5 and 8...Priceless. Setting up in the wind isn't tough after doing it once just like anything else. I honestly think one of the worst gimmicks is the underwater cam.

Offline Hawkize

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:36 PM »
the "killer binkle"
Ice Ice Baby

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:08 PM »
these things   hot rings   hole heaters   what ever ya want to call em   garbage!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Are you supposed to sit on those, Hazzy?

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Are you supposed to sit on those, Hazzy?
A new meaning of the term "Hole heater". Meaning Hazzy's the "hole" I'm not talking about the actual...Nevermind.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:16 AM »
wow this thread went down hill fast  :o  it's about time some mud was slung in here  :clap:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:28 AM »
wow this thread went down hill fast  :o  it's about time some mud was slung in here  :clap:
Those darn Mainers are at it again! ;) Wadn't me.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Hole heaters!!!??!?!  That is freaking hilarious!!!  Who would buy those???
I said I did
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:17 PM »
The automatic jigger.
I got one that works great!  attach it to a bucket   and makes it easyer to drink a beeer and still fish 2 lines  lol

now those ice cubes!    that I also wasted $ on   never did get it set up on ice   I did set it up in the summer when I got it   but not before 1 finding one hub broken outta the box  and broke 2 more before it was all done   though they did send me replacements   but now it is lop sided with 1 original  hub     and still was a PITA to set up
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #85 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:23 PM »
I got one that works great!  attach it to a bucket   and makes it easyer to drink a beeer and still fish

Tie a coat hanger to your foot, attach line, break out guitar, start entertaining, tapping foot. Soon they will come...  ;D
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Nov 21, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I got one that works great!  attach it to a bucket   and makes it easyer to drink a beeer and still fish 2 lines  lol

now those ice cubes!    that I also wasted $ on   never did get it set up on ice   I did set it up in the summer when I got it   but not before 1 finding one hub broken outta the box  and broke 2 more before it was all done   though they did send me replacements   but now it is lop sided with 1 original  hub     and still was a PITA to set up

Now if it works for you that's all good.
As for cubes, I love my cube. I beat the heck out of it. Have had to replace 2 poles after 50 trips. Would like a flipover, in addition to the cube, but their weight holds me back.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Nov 21, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Why you hatin' on the Cubes Hazzy? I love my cube.

Offline kinwashkly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Nov 21, 2009, 03:15 PM »
ICE HOLE WARMERS!!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Nov 21, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Hazzy's got a bunch of 'em. I doubt he'd ever part with them though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.