Author Topic: what am i doing wrong??????????????  (Read 3197 times)

Offline trouble_t04609

• IceShanty Rookie
what am i doing wrong??????????????
« on: Jan 29, 2008, 02:42 PM »
Ive been jigging smelts the last few days with good luck, every now an then a big touge will come by an just sit an look at my lure, like he knows lol, any tips on how to get them to bite better, its so frustrateing to see a bunch of 8 to 16 lb to, huge just stareing at my jig, the salmond bite any tips would be greattttt ;D ;D ;D

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: what am i doing wrong??????????????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Ive been jigging smelts the last few days with good luck, every now an then a big touge will come by an just sit an look at my lure, like he knows lol, any tips on how to get them to bite better, its so frustrateing to see a bunch of 8 to 16 lb to, huge just stareing at my jig, the salmond bite any tips would be greattttt ;D ;D ;D

I'm curious, how do you know they are 8 to 16lb togue that are coming up and watching your lure?  Do you have an underwater camera or some other kind of secret weapon?  :blink:
An 16 pounder is one MONSTER togue!!!   :woot: :woot:
Here is a technique that has worked for me when they are just being finicky.
 Cut a shiner or smelt in half and tip the lure with it, leave soime skin hanging so there is maximum scent coming off from it.  Since togue are primarily bottom feeders
  If you have really small bait you can slice them just a little to give them that wounded minnow wiggle and let them sit right on the bottom.  Reel in the slack just enough so you can feel the lure on the bottom, "dead-stick" it and GET READY! 
It's a waiting contest, but it often will drive a togue crazy and all of a sudden Wham-O!!!  :woot:   If nothing hits, after about 10 minutes of this reintroduce the bait and try again.
Hope this helps... good luck!
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:44 AM »
have you tried switching lures up. instead of a swedish pimple switch to an airplane jig.  Also try dropping your lure onto the bottom, hold for a few seconds and then jig upward with a rapid motion. This will sometimes trigger them into thinking the bait is getting away and they will strike.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Turn off the camra!!.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline trouble_t04609

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:50 AM »
ive tryd pretty much everythng u guys are saying, with no luck, my ice tent has like a 4x2 hole looking down on a sand bar, with 6 feet of water, the touge come in chaseing the smelt but never really bite, ive tryd the dead bait jigging, i have left several dead smelt on bottom an came back the next day to find them still on bottom, i cought one the other day on a shiner, he was 13lbs in 40 feet of water, with no luc ;D ;D ;Dk since, im about to get scub gear out,lol

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Not trying to get the thread off track but on several occasions I have snagged Lakers thru the ice. Every time I thought I had a pig on . But I think they sit and stare at your presentaion more than we think. While jiggin Walleyes and Pike I have never snagged a fish, but it's almost a gurantee that a couple times a season I'll snag a Laker.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2008, 10:41 AM »
lakers will slap their prey most of the time with their tail, or swim through a school of shiner/ciscoes etc with their mouth closed. We see it in the early spring in the shallow bays and stuff. Then when they stun some food they will swim under and eat the easier prey. Thats why I snag most of mine cause they catch the hook with their tail on the first hit.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:33 PM »
ive tryd pretty much everythng u guys are saying, with no luck, my ice tent has like a 4x2 hole looking down on a sand bar, with 6 feet of water, the touge come in chaseing the smelt but never really bite, ive tryd the dead bait jigging, i have left several dead smelt on bottom an came back the next day to find them still on bottom, i cought one the other day on a shiner, he was 13lbs in 40 feet of water, with no luc ;D ;D ;Dk since, im about to get scub gear out,lol
Try turning off the loud rap music and play some Frankie Yankovich tuneage.
Try bouncing the jig to see if that will bring up any silt.  Fish moving in shyly will think there is more fight in your jig if they see it really power-struggling on the bottom.  Sort of a last dance before dinner.
Thread killer

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Hey WyIfish,I don't think the guys Polish so he might not get Frankie stuff! ;)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Hey WyIfish,I don't think the guys Polish so he might not get Frankie stuff! ;)
Sorry, and yet again, I make a funny at someone else's expense.   I have met the UPers band in N. Michigan, Love the second week of deer camp song, and the 40 point buck. They bring lakers in herds to my fishing holes.
Thread killer

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Being a mongrel,I've got a little of the blood in me.My mom,aunts, and uncles loved polkas.I couldn't resist commenting.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Being a mongrel,I've got a little of the blood in me.My mom,aunts, and uncles loved polkas.I couldn't resist commenting.
What the world need now more than fresh fish on the ice, feel good music, roll out the barrel, EIO, and she's too fat for me!
Thread killer

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:03 PM »
or maybe weird al as a compromise :o

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:42 PM »
or maybe weird al as a compromise :o
I never gave him more than a random chuckle but I know of those who worship him night and day.   

I myself prefer the McKenzie brothers, all you-hosers!
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.