Author Topic: Ice Line  (Read 2479 times)

Offline TyThib

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Line
« on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:41 PM »
There have been alot of new lines coming out... any reviews? Used a cabela line last year...not by choice.. was getting ready for the statewide and i had a line that was worn...borrowed sum from my cousin.... hooked on the a good fish... just a little friction against the ice... snap!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Ice Line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Vanish Flouracarbon

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:44 PM »
power pro with a flouro carbon leader.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Had power pro red leaders and hooks on my tip ups for part of last year . Changed back to Power pro green and bronze hooks.
I did notice the difference in the amount of fish caught. I go back to with the red hooks no and then, they don't seem to make as much of a difference as the red line does. Just my two cents.

smitty :tipup:

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2011, 03:15 PM »
i also use 10# power pro, its blue or 'ice' colored and i def catch my share of big browns, salmon and brookies...just curious smitty, which way did you notice more bites?

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2011, 03:55 PM »
  I tried P-line flurocarbon,  not impressed.  First 2 fish on the line snapped rubbing against the ice.  I went back to 10# monofilament.

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:10 PM »
is power pro a type of braid? and do you guys notice a lot of ice build up while you jig?

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:30 PM »
 its a braid yes,  and im only using it as leader in 4-5' lengths

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:56 AM »
I'm always reviewing the lines that I use.  Since mfg are always changing formulas and new players are always showing up.  There's no way to tell if an old favorite or a new line is the better line.  All I can say is the lines with the most hype behind them tend to be no better than some of the most reliable lines.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:08 PM »
cant agree more slip.. I wrote off PowerPro about 4 years ago, but have been hearing good things so it is back on my spools this year. I also bought some of the new trilene ice and agin trilene use to be a dirty word in my hut

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:55 AM »
  I tried P-line flurocarbon,  not impressed.  First 2 fish on the line snapped rubbing against the ice.  I went back to 10# monofilament.
that's not what I wanted to hear, I just bought some Pline 'flouro ice'...were you using the 'ice' version or regular Pline?  I haven't tried it but bought it because it was well reviewed on here.  I got the 2lb for pannies
Vanish Flouracarbon
To each thier own, but I am not a big fan of this stuff (tried it on softwater), very poor knot strength...I don't think it'd do too good on the ice.

I was planning on trying the new nanofil line this year as I heard its low stretch and small diameter...which it is, but after having seen it in person I passed...it's very white and would need a flouro leader for sure, and with it being so slick of a line I don't think a line to line connection would hold very well.

So many to choose from and can't find what I want.  I see a big parallel between choosing ice line and finding something good on TV...57 channels and nothing on...
Tight lines

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:17 AM »
 I have been using trilene 4# micro ice and I like it, it works well. Ive never lost a fish on it or had much ice build up. ;D

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:41 AM »
i also use the trilene micro ice in 1 2 3lbs 2lb being most used.many nice crappy,some bass,even a bunch of 20in catfish,2lb worked great ;D ;Di hope im usen it again will soon ;D ;Dhas anyone ever sat on santas leg and ask for ice :)its hard to try my new stuff out in a 5gallon bucket with a inch of ice :'(

Offline rubline

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:16 PM »
that's not what I wanted to hear, I just bought some Pline 'flouro ice'...were you using the 'ice' version or regular Pline?  I haven't tried it but bought it because it was well reviewed on here.  I got the 2lb for pannies  To each thier own, but I am not a big fan of this stuff (tried it on softwater), very poor knot strength...I don't think it'd do too good on the ice.

It was not "ice" just checked the packaging.  If you do try the ice I would love to know the results.   Im not willing to try anything new this year.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:12 AM »
I have been using P-line floro-ice for awhile. I really like it, it is the only floro line i will fill a spool with. holds up well to winter conditions. For the most part i only use floro or mono for leaders, but the P-line ice is the best i have found

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:54 AM »
It was not "ice" just checked the packaging.  If you do try the ice I would love to know the results.   Im not willing to try anything new this year.
I will certainly post back my findings with this line...if we ever get some ice.

I have been using P-line floro-ice for awhile. I really like it, it is the only floro line i will fill a spool with. holds up well to winter conditions. For the most part i only use floro or mono for leaders, but the P-line ice is the best i have found
I'm pretty sure it was your reviews that sold me on it...I looked for that asso stuff you're always talking about, couldn't find it.  We really need a good outdoors store in kingston.

I'm still on the hunt for some good line for the walleye/laker  rods.  I'd hate to give up the sensitivity of braided line for deeper fishing, but I had such a bad time with ice up last year (no shanty)...what to try?   I was thinking about suffix ice braid...but I'm not sure its any different than the regular suffix, it didn't feel too different  ???
Tight lines

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:41 AM »
If your fishing out in the cold, i think all braids will give you some "ice up" I like to use Suffix and found it works well ( i fish mostly outsdoors even thought I have a portable). I receomend giving it a shot.

The link wont work on this site, but check out "your bobbers down" .com for Asso line.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:49 AM »
thanks IJ!
Tight lines

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:38 PM »
I put Trilene Micro Ice 6# on one of my rods last week.  It is coming off tomorrow and not being used again.  It coiled and looped and had a ton of memory in the line.  Didn't like it at all. 
  BE THERE!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:47 PM »
I use the trilene micro ice #4 on my panfish rods in case i hook on a bass and i like it works fine and little ice build up. In my experiences with it not a lot of memory either maybe you got a bad spool HVFD14, but on my walleye rods i had fireline crystal micro ice on 2 years ago and last year tried the trilene micro ice for that and wast a big fan there but this year going back to the fireline crystal micro ice on my walleye rod cause i liked it. but with the fireline crystal make sure you can tie a good knot cause if you don't tie a good knot it doesn't hold but if you got a good knot your good. never tied it line to line though that is this years test as im rigging 5 tip-ups with that as my leader just to see if we get ice that is

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:15 PM »
The thing about monofilament lines are that they all will develop line memory over time.  One thing that will help is to stretch the line out before you start fishing.  It should relax some.  Some lines needs a little soak time to help clear some of that line memory.  I personally never really found anything wrong with Trilene Microice.  Just that I found some better performing lines.  A 6# Trilene Microice line I would put that on a Shimano 2500 size spinning reel or Pfleuger size 30 reel.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Ice Cream Headache

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:27 PM »
I have several different lines on my rods.   Currently, I like them all.

I use Fireline Ice, Powerpro Ice, P-Line Floroclear, P-Line Floroice and Trilene Ice.   I think I have the Northland Bionic Ice and Vicious Ice lines as well, but I don't remember if I liked them or not. 

The P-Line Floroclear and Floroice are copolymer lines, so they are flourocarbon coated, not 100% flourocarbon.  Personally, I don't like using FC as main line for any type of fishing. 

Offline panfishesworstfear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I have the bionic this year and I'm not a big fan. It seems to have more memory then others. Last year I used suffix and was very impressed.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Favorite line from last year would have to Be Northland Bionic Ice Line in 2# Blue Camo. Never had any breaks or really any ice build up wish the stores around here had it again but for some reason they don't and haven't got around to ordering some more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.