Author Topic: light panfish rod with highly sensitive tip?  (Read 12501 times)

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
light panfish rod with highly sensitive tip?
« on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Ive been using ultralights for last couple years for gill. Any thoughts on stepping up to a light with a really sensitive tip? Wouldnt mind the added backbone for using spoons for perch/crappie fishing. I was considering a rod similar to the st croix legend with the built in spring bobber and figured the spring bobber would allow me to get away with the light for even small gill. But I wouldnt mind a cleaner setup and to get away from the spring bobbers all together. Is there a good light rod out there that has such a sensitive tip that a spring bobber is not neccesary for light biting bluegill, but still has a decent backbone for small spoons and perch/crappie? I am trying to pick the perfect rod for all 3 species. As best I can anyways. I mainly fish for bluegill, but want the option of tieing "small" spoons on and nailing some crappie and perch. I like 24" length rods for the space Im working with in my soon to be 1 man shanty.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: light panfish rod with highly sensitive tip?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Look at the Thorne Bro rods, they are worth what you'll pay for them.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Check out the power noodle at www.thornebros.com

Offline JTinVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Jason Mitchell meatstick is a sensitive rod with decent backbone. I've heard the tip break easy but never personally had or know anybody who had one break.

I mostly use a 30" riversider ultra light for a lot of my shallow water panfishing. They can hold a heavier lure,sensitive enough to detect light bites and certainly strong enough to haul a bigger fish. I've got LM bass, perch and even pike on mine while hauling up gills,seeds and Crappie. not to mention they are very affordable and don't break. I would recommend the riversider - good luck!
yup

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Guide series tournament series

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Jason Mitchell meatstick is a sensitive rod with decent backbone. I've heard the tip break easy but never personally had or know anybody who had one break.

I looked at them online but have never held one. I noticed they only come in the medium action in the 20 and 24" models. How would you compare the tip to a spring bobber setup? I really like the idea of a super sensitive tip without needing a spring bobber but am worried it wont compare as well as an actual spring bobber. Also worried the medium is a little much for gill, but like I said, Ive never held one.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:47 PM »
Guide series tournament series

Whats that? What brand?

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Check gregg austin rods. He will custom make you what you want! Goggle "austin custom rods" great rod for the money!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:53 PM »
You can custom order a thornebros rod. Size of eyelets, type of handle, length, they'll even engrave your name into it.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:56 PM »
I use a Thorne Bros power noodle and a Jason Mitchel Meat stick, I have broken two meatsticks.. power noodle is still going strong

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Fenwick's Elite Tech Ice 25" UL has a very thin blank with soft tip. Good choice for the $
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:19 PM »
I checked out the 24" power noodle. Looks like exactly what I want. BUT, is it just a "noodle" tip??? Im assuming it just has a short "noodle" fiberglass section on the tip and a good backbone? Is the rod completely fiberglass? Or is it graphite with the glass tip?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:57 PM »
I believe it is all fiberglass...

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:06 PM »
The power noodle has a very soft tip with lots of back bone...better suited for light jigs but the kicker is it can handle a large fish with ease due to the back bone it has.  However...if u tie on a small spoon or something like a pimple it will be pretty willowy, don't think u will like that.  Now on the other hand their quiver stick will handle small spoons with ease.  It doest have the super soft tip but is super sensitive.   I own both and each has its place but I would suggest the quiver stick for a more versatile jigging rod.  It will detect the lightest tap from a gill and has the power to land a huge bass.
]

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:31 AM »
The Meatstick is an all fiberglass rod with a VERY sensative tip. I haven't had the breakage problem some have reported, my only knock on the rod is the size of the guides on the end of the rod. They are tiny and ice up quickly when fishing outside. The Thorne Bros. Power Noodle can be gotten with larger guides that won't ice up so fast.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Personally I don't like the dull feel of jigging with those soft tips, but everybody is different.  I have no problems with a St. Croix Premiere ML rod for this application.  My preference is a Thorn Bros Panfish Sweatheart rod.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline JTinVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:10 AM »
I looked at them online but have never held one. I noticed they only come in the medium action in the 20 and 24" models. How would you compare the tip to a spring bobber setup? I really like the idea of a super sensitive tip without needing a spring bobber but am worried it wont compare as well as an actual spring bobber. Also worried the medium is a little much for gill, but like I said, Ive never held one.

I like the spring bobber better for the real light bites but I've got use to seeing and feeling the light bite the other way too. If I'm outside moving a lot I'll go without the spring bobber bc it freezes up under some conditions. I think you would be happy with a 30" ultra light riversider!!
yup

Offline JTinVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:13 AM »
I like the spring bobber better for the real light bites but I've got use to seeing and feeling the light bite the other way too. If I'm outside moving a lot I'll go without the spring bobber bc it freezes up under some conditions. I think you would be happy with a 30" ultra light riversider!!

OR just grab a few new rods and add them to the collection. Nothing is easier that switching rods depending on your application..
yup

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:18 AM »
Been using this one for years. Unbelievable rod for the price. Even landed a 5lb steelhead with it.
http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Blue-Super-Flex-Ice-Fishing-Rods_p.html

Offline LDB_Bass_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:30 AM »
I really like the action on the bro frabill quick tip ice rods.
FTAA Member: Fishing Tackle Addictions Anonymous

Offline lungbuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:24 AM »
^agreed. Quick tips rock. Keep in mind that sensitivity and being able to see the tip can be two different things for example if I have a ultra light ugly stick and a medium Loomis Im still gonna be able to feel a bluegill much better on the loomis, Id be able to see the hit better on the ugly stick so you gotta choose how you detect the hit and make your decision thata way. Id go with a St croix medium light, great rods, and very sensitive.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:13 PM »
I got to thinking about this today some more and decided that I probably will just add 2 rods. I am going to either get a custom 24" ultralight rod with the st croix style spring bobber setup or try and find an ultralight st croix legend with straight guides on it (quality of this years legends talked about in another post) for my bluegill fishing. Then Ill get a light 24" rod with a little more backbone for the little spoons. I dont wana go much longer because I will be doin alot of fishing in a 1 man shanty. But whats your guys thoughts of a 24" light like the st croix legend for mainly bluegill as opposed to the same rod in an ultralight? I mainly fish the 3 or 4mm fiskas for gill.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2011, 05:37 PM »
I got to thinking about this today some more and decided that I probably will just add 2 rods. I am going to either get a custom 24" ultralight rod with the st croix style spring bobber setup or try and find an ultralight st croix legend with straight guides on it (quality of this years legends talked about in another post) for my bluegill fishing. Then Ill get a light 24" rod with a little more backbone for the little spoons. I dont wana go much longer because I will be doin alot of fishing in a 1 man shanty. But whats your guys thoughts of a 24" light like the st croix legend for mainly bluegill as opposed to the same rod in an ultralight? I mainly fish the 3 or 4mm fiskas for gill.
I have a 24" croix premier UL and think its a great rod for gills with 3 or 4mm fiskas.  I'm not spring bobber guy but if I was to get croix legend I would go for a ML...that way u could bypass the spring bobber if u wanted to jig small spoons but could also use the spring bobber if needed while jigging tiny jigs.  I just think the UL alone is soft enough without the spring bobber.  This would give ya more versatile setup.   IMHO
]

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:50 PM »
I like the spring bobbers for bluegill even with an ultra light myself. Problem I was thinking for me with using a light st croix legend for both fiskas and spoons is, I like using 3-4lb for spoons for crappie/perch, and 2lb line for the fiskas and the gill. Im probably gona get a light action rod rigged with 3-4lb for the spoons and either a 24" UL or L with spring bobber setup (like the legend) rigged with 2lb for primarily bluegill. Now Im just trying to decide on UL vs L for my gill rod. My gill rod will definitely have a spring bobber either way.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:47 PM »

I am a big fan of the st croix legends and use and UL with a medium spring.  Medium spring still picks up the lightest bites and i can use a heavier jig if i want to.  Give this a try.  The UL spring with st croix is just too limber and even small jigs can be too heavy.  The medium spring last year had the pink tip. 

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:46 PM »
It is easier to feel a light bite with a stiff rod then with a rod with a soft tip.  The noodle rod is bite detection by sight. That said why not use a spring bobber for small jigs and light biters and just the a stiffer rod with backbone for jigging spoons?

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:55 PM »
When it comes to lite biting panfish....If you put a St.Croix spring on a broomstick and another guys fishes any rod with no indicator/spring the guy with the broom stick will out fish him everyday of the week.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Iceroach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:09 PM »
When it comes to lite biting panfish....If you put a St.Croix spring on a broomstick and another guys fishes any rod with no indicator/spring the guy with the broom stick will out fish him everyday of the week.

I completely agree.  To each their own, but it's simply physics. 

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I'd vote for the TB Panfish Sweetheart w/out spring bobber vs. broomstick w/one  ;D
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:42 PM »
last year I bought the Jason Mitchell meatstick , I wanted the same thing that  your looking for in a rod, and also fish out of a flipover, and I think mine is the 20". sensitive bright tip, with backbone,, I like it alot..jus my .02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.